Bandai release schedule

The detail on R2 is really good--it just needs a better paint job, mostly for the metal parts to get rid of the swirly pattern.

I'm gonna make a thread about the R2 & R5 build

But here's bits & pieces so far

The R2 head,....I had to assemble it differently to the recommended way in the instructions,.....so the blue parts can be added later

IMG_1834.jpg

I primed the head,...sprayed it with silver then coated it with Mr Colour bluffable aluminium....the blue is Citroen Poseidon Blue:

IMG_1845.jpg

I recast the parts where there are lit read in white resin,...so hopefully led's will shine through:

IMG_1846.jpg

This is the R5 body:
IMG_1851.jpg

They are cracking kits,...but they do need paint to make them less toy-like

J

I completely agree; they should not ignore the prequels. I really want a high-quality kit of the gunship with plenty of clone troopers aboard, and I'd jump at good kit of the Sith Infiltrator as well. I'd also love good kits of most of the chrome Naboo starships, including (in order of preference) the royal cruiser (the B2-shaped ship from the beginning of AotC), the royal starship ( the SR-71-like ship from TPM), and the royal skiff (from the end of RotS). I guess that only leaves the Buck Rogers-style small "dart" shaped ship from AotC, but so be it (and I'd probably buy it as well if offered). The N1 would b nice, but the AMT kit is already 1/48 and pretty darn good, so I would prefer a 1/32 kit if they were going to offer that subject.

Qapla'

SSB
Although there were some cool ships in the Prequels, I think at the minute Disney is focussing on guaranteed sellers (step into a Disney store and you'll see Darth, Stormtroopers, Han, Luke & Leia....no evidence that the Prequels ever existed), I'd say Bandai are doing the same,....make what will sell,....make it cool,....hit the nostalgia

Next we'll be getting the new Trilogy & spin offs,...I really think that prequel models coming is highly unlikely

J

UNLESS! Daddy Lucas didn't sell all the rights to the Prequel "franchise" to anyone... which would explain a lot(?)
Sweet job on the 'droid, J, BTW.

R/ Robert

Although there were some cool ships in the Prequels, I think at the minute Disney is focussing on guaranteed sellers (step into a Disney store and you'll see Darth, Stormtroopers, Han, Luke & Leia....no evidence that the Prequels ever existed), I'd say Bandai are doing the same,....make what will sell
There's some truth to that, but I think it is just as much a result of heightened interest because of a new film featuring most of the major characters from the OT. There are a lot of younger people who love the prequels and will one day see that trilogy with nostalgic eyes. Disney did make a point to say that the prequels and the Clone Wars TV series are part of the new official canon.

Don't get me wrong, though; there are plenty of OT vehicles I'd like to build as well, so I'm not complaining about the current focus.

Qapla'

SSB

If they dabble in prequels before doing something like the Blockade Runner, I'm going to hurl.
I wouldn't hurl (and part of me hopes they will, just so you'll hurl), but I wouldn't argue that if they are ever going to do a kit of the blockade runner, they should do it yesterday. I wonder how many people hoped for one of those since 1977 and freakin' died of old age with that particular dream unfulfilled … Heck, I was nine years-old when I saw the first film, and two years from next month will mark 40 years since that summer, with no styrene blockade runner kit ever offered in all that time.

Qapla'

SSB

There's some truth to that, but I think it is just as much a result of heightened interest because of a new film featuring most of the major characters from the OT. There are a lot of younger people who love the prequels and will one day see that trilogy with nostalgic eyes. Disney did make a point to say that the prequels and the Clone Wars TV series are part of the new official canon.

Don't get me wrong, though; there are plenty of OT vehicles I'd like to build as well, so I'm not complaining about the current focus.

Qapla'

SSB

I honestly don't think Disney purchased Star Wars to get their hands on the Prequels,...they promptly cancelled The Clone Wars and redirected the focus onto the OT era,...they haven't turned their back on the Prequels & Clone Wars completely though,....there is still an interest in that section,....but the main fanbase is where it all started

I'd love some of the RMQ inspired SW Rebels craft, but theres nothing I'd want from the Prequels bar the Reliant....(mainly because it is a modified Blockade Runner)

Bandai are hitting the right mark for me,....apart from the motorised XWing,....just the model without the electronics I'd go for though

J

I honestly don't think Disney purchased Star Wars to get their hands on the Prequels,…they promptly cancelled The Clone Wars and redirected the focus onto the OT era
I think it was arguably a mistake to cancel Clone Wars, but I believe they wanted to shift focus toward the new series of films they're doing. Rebels is good as well, so I can't complain too much. And Disney surely wasn't after that and the prequels primarily, but I don't think they plan to just leave it to wither forever. There's a saying at Disney, proven true over decades of experience, that says "No idea ever dies."

My boys (ages nine and five, currently) were disappointed that Clone Wars ended. Now, they did grow up with me, a guy who enjoys all six existing films for various reasons, and without having me harping on how bad the prequels allegedly are, so I haven't been poisoning the well for them the way I suspect some fans my age do with their kids. To them, it is all Star Wars and they love it all. Truthfully, right now they (especially the younger) seem to think the pinnacle is LEGO Star Wars.

I think we all tend to bring our own confirmation biases to the table and interpret events in a way that suggests that our thinking is the predominant opinion. I try to guard against that within myself, with perhaps some degree of success. One thing I do know is that the prequels made a lot of money — the kind of money that is generally only possible from significant repeat business. Those people were probably going back because they didn't think the movies sucked.
theres nothing I'd want from the Prequels bar the Reliant….(mainly because it is a modified Blockade Runner)
I'm not familiar with that one from the name. Are you talking about the version of Tantive IV that as later retconned into the Sundered Heart? A trip to Wikipedia turned up three ships called Reliant, none of which were seen in the prequels. Or did you mean Radiant VII, the very first ship we see in TPM (and which was obviously inspired by the Tantive IV)?
Bandai are hitting the right mark for me,….apart from the motorised XWing,….just the model without the electronics I'd go for though
Yeah, I want that as well. I'm tired of tiny X-wings, but I want that 1/48th kit. Lights are cool, but I don't need it to be motorized. Sounds like I'd just be paying extra for something that I might not use and which would eventually break down.

Qapla'

SSB

Waiting to see who gets their 1/48 xwing and makes post (preferably with pics/vid) I can't order one now till next week.at around £65 delivered from Japan i think it's worth it all day long.

Just got my trench run kits well the x wing and 2 ties because I can order 1 of anything, but just spent the 30 bucks to expedite the last tie and order that 48th x-wing! I wasn't planning on it but when I saw it was available I HAD to get it!

Should be here by the end of the week
....can"t wait!

The AT-ST is awesome! Especially for that price! only too bad you can't see the interior once assembled : (

you won't be disappointed

I'm not familiar with that one from the name. Are you talking about the version of Tantive IV that as later retconned into the Sundered Heart? A trip to Wikipedia turned up three ships called Reliant, none of which were seen in the prequels. Or did you mean Radiant VII, the very first ship we see in TPM (and which was obviously inspired by the Tantive IV)?

Yep sorry,....the Radiant,.....I honestly don't have much knowledge of the Prequels & the new names for the OT ships,....its still the good old Rebel Blockade Runner or Rebel Cruiser to me,...:D

along with Snaggletooth, Walrusman, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter & Snowspeeders,......:rolleyes

J

I'm still wanting an A-wing and B-wing, somehow those 2 ships get overlooked all the time. I would also like to see a blockade runner, but I have the X-wing miniatures blockade runner, which looks pretty stunning for a gaming piece. The Radiant VII is one of the very few ships from the prequels that I think looks good.

For those who are not sure what ship that is.
vKpzw.jpg

I'm still wanting an A-wing and B-wing
I'd love both (so long they aren't tiny) -- the A-wing is my favorite fighter from the OT. Would prefer it be to be at least 1/48th, if not 1/32 (I am one of those convinced the "official" size is twice what it actually should be, based on the studio model and matte painting in which it appearred). And, just to be a contrarian, I want a Delta-7 Aethersprite in the same scale as the A-wing. That is my favorite fighter from the prequels.

Qapla'

SSB

I never thought I'd be even more impressed than I was with fine molds.

If they do a falcon, you just know it's gonna be sweet. Proper mandibles. The only thing I worry about (and this is a MINOR point) is that it will probably be based on the episode 7 falcon. Which means that all of our resources will be digital

Falcon has been done to death, but it is a great model. It's one of my favorites actually. I subscribed to build the millennium falcon. That's going to be a impressive model. Don't hold your breath about screen accuracy because there are always compromises to be made when it comes to plastic injection molding. That said Bandai does some really good kits. They have great detail.

What I really want is a Star Destroyer. It's only been officially done once and it was a terrible kit. I have the Anigrand kit still in the box.
Go to HLJ.com and there's a link that explains private warehouse.

I know the falcon has been done to death, but it's pretty much the enterprise of the star wars world. And bandai seems to have better resources at it's disposal. Even fine molds messed up their falcon a fair bit. (Those mandibles look awful)

I think there are good things coming. Bandai only has had the contract for less than a year and they have already released, or are going to release more models than FineMolds has in several years. I have heard a few gripes about their accuracy, but very little comparitively to FineMolds. Ok, I'm not a big fan of their Samurai series, but I'm sure that their eastern customers are. I often look at the Bandai announcements/news to see if they are going to release anything new in the coming months and I keep my fingers crossed that they release something that hasn't been truly released in good accuracy in plastic. There is just so much material that they can chose from, but I agree they should release something totally new. A Raidant, Sandcrawler, Tie Bomber, Cloud Car, etc. Of course, anything that they release, I'm going to buy, considering the quality of the releases so far.

TazMan2000

There are definately good things on the way. I'm hoping for as you said some kits that we've never really seen before. A Sandcrawler would be awesome. People are always going to criticize a kit. These kits are not studio scale so compromises always have to be made in terms of cost and detail. You can't cram every littleifference greeble on to a half studio scale battle star let alone a model that's at 1:72 scale. FM had the right idea in molding many of the individual pieces that you can then glue on separately. It really did givhere Falcon he studio scale look. I think people tend to get overly critical about missing details real or imagined. The whole falcon toe-in debacle is completely subjective. I couldn't really tell the difference until it was pointed out to me. I still think it's a great kit that lends its self well to a great OOB build or extra detailing. People would probably complain if the original studio scale model didn't have any toe in and FM put it in! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back