Bandai release schedule

There are a lot of conflicting sites that say the Y-wing is 16 metres long. It may be the Clone Wars Y-wing may have been that length.

TazMan2000

There are a lot of conflicting sites that say the Y-wing is 16 metres long. It may be the Clone Wars Y-wing may have been that length.

TazMan2000

I'm going by SW.com,.....wookieepedia says 16m....& 23.4m Height/depth????

weird

.....but the main thing......I think Bandai have the A-Wing right

J

Speaking of A-Wing scale reference... how about this?

335467C300000578-3547750-image-a-91_1461074208234.jpg

Though I suppose it appears to be a newer version. There's a move back towards the McQuarrie art with those extra rear windows on the canopy (as was done for the Rebels version)

Last edited:

TazMan2000

The Clone Wars and OT Y-wings are meant to be the same ship and thus the same size -- the Y-wings in the movies just had most of the fairings and gunner turret removed. The 23.4m listed on SW.com seems correct when comparing the drawing Jaitea posted to the hangar matte painting.

The Clone Wars and OT Y-wings are meant to be the same ship and thus the same size -- the Y-wings in the movies just had most of the fairings and gunner turret removed. The 23.4m listed on SW.com seems correct when comparing the drawing Jaitea posted to the hangar matte painting.
The one from the OT is supposed to be a different model. F-toys made a version of it with full plating.

YWingBodyShellFToysPhoto.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The one from the OT is supposed to be a different model. F-toys made a version of it with full plating.

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/YWingBodyShellFToysPhoto.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The OT version might be a different "model" but it is only different in that it had no gunner turret and one seat (number of seats is debatable, depending on if Leia's two-seater in the deleted ROTJ sandstorm scene counts). The plating has been meant to be the same as the Clone Wars version ever since it was introduced in 2008 -- the one you have pictured is an old EU design and was never "canon" (its design also runs counter to Joe Johnston's original idea of the fully covered Y-wing having a sleek appearance to match the cockpit area).

Yes, I've heard the Clone Wars ship is a different model and larger, so that you couldn't just take a standard Y (FM or Bandai) and add plating to make a Clone Wars ship.

I disagree. Look at this comparison blueprint.

image.jpeg

Also, compare the length of the craft on the table. I know in the sequels they changed the scale of some of the studio models, but I believe in ANH they were consistent.

image.jpeg

TazMan2000

Yes, the Clone Wars Y-wings are larger. They used different engines and from laser cannons which gave them a greater length.

Chris

I need this AT-ST!
Any idea where I can get models on the cheaper side in the states?
I'm brand new to Making models, and I'd love some kits to practice on without messing up the $78 dollar models I see in my hobby shop.

I disagree. Look at this comparison blueprint.

View attachment 617208

Also, compare the length of the craft on the table. I know in the sequels they changed the scale of some of the studio models, but I believe in ANH they were consistent.

View attachment 617210

TazMan2000

I think your drawing more supports my point (which has gotten a bit lost admittedly) - that the Rebellion Y-wing is not 16 m long. Whether the official 23.4 m length given on the Star Wars site refers to the Clone Wars fully covered version, or the Rebellion's stripped down version, the length is overall significantly greater than an X-wing. That's clearly visible in the ROTJ hangar matte paintings, and while the ANH mattes are not clear, they and the full size props imply this as well.

Going from your drawing, the Rebellion chop job to the nacelles and front guns made the modified length about 82% of the original Clone Wars version. So if the 23.4 m refers to the CW length, that makes the ANH length 19.2 m. If the 23.4 m refers to ANH, the CW length was 28.65 m.

Trying to calculate scale from actual lengths of studio models is not always reliable, as demonstrated above with the A-wing, whatever the intent of the model shop was at the time they built them.

Last edited:

View attachment 617210

TazMan2000

I think all this just demonstrates that the "official" numbers are really not reliable. It's why every model/subject we've ever gotten seems to wind up being different sizes then others of the same scale.

The FFG minis are supposedly sized directly from the assumption that all of the A New Hope studio models (and possibly the ROTJ ones) were 1/24 scale. IIRC, way back in a modeling magazine interview it was stated the ties were actually built to 1/16 scale, but I think they used 1/24 pilots

At any rate, the relative sizes of the X and Y here seem to match the relative sizes of models on the table (although the Y-wing just seems a little too small to me for some reason)
In my opinion, I think an A wing somewhere in between the one on the left and the one on the right feels more like it should

While I always thought of the Y-wing as being larger, that one below seems too large compared to the X-wing, or maybe more to the point, the X-wing seems too small compared to the Y-wing and A-Wing. I think the Y-wing and A-Wing look good relative to each other. The X-wing looks too small

Heres a comparison with a scaled up A-Wing (9.6 m) & Y-Wing (23.4m) compared to the X-Wing (12.5m)

View attachment 617044

J

People complained about the F-Toys A-wing being too large, but considering Bandai and FFG followed suit, I think it's time to except a larger A-wing

The next company that produces a 1/72 X-wing is probably going to find new evidence that Bandai's were too small. It's all based on imaginary numbers in the end

I think your drawing more supports my point (which has gotten a bit lost admittedly) - that the Rebellion Y-wing is not 16 m long. Whether the official 23.4 m length given on the Star Wars site refers to the Clone Wars fully covered version, or the Rebellion's stripped down version, the length is overall significantly greater than an X-wing. That's clearly visible in the ROTJ hangar matte paintings, and while the ANH mattes are not clear, they and the full size props imply this as well.

Going from your drawing, the Rebellion chop job to the nacelles and front guns made the modified length about 82% of the original Clone Wars version. So if the 23.4 m refers to the CW length, that makes the ANH length 19.2 m. If the 23.4 m refers to ANH, the CW length was 28.65 m.

Trying to calculate scale from actual lengths of studio models is not always reliable, as demonstrated above with the A-wing, whatever the intent of the model shop was at the time they built them.

If you could provide a clear picture as to how the full size props imply that the Y-wing is 23.4 metres, I will consider your comment, however, with my quick Google image search, I don't see that. In the original release of ANH, most of the Y-wing props were painted cutouts except for the one in the foreground, which had a nacelle improperly positioned too far forward. On Home One in ROTJ, the matte painting clearly shows the Y-wing as larger of course, but not by twice the length. Actually, even Wookiepedia seems to have a differing opinion of what is the official length (as well as the height).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Y-wing_starfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S3_Y-wing_starfighter

Most other sites that perhaps aren't official, (is Wookiepedia really the "official" site?) say that the Y-wing is 16 metres as well, but they could just be sheep following the herd.

Like most other things in this universe...there is a bit of a conundrum on actual sizes. The Millennium Falcon probably being the biggest debate as to if the interior sets could actually fit into the full scale mock-ups and the overall ship length. If the ships specified lengths change so much...then how can you determine a scale?

People see what they want to see. Much like the lifelong disagreement on whether the MF's mandibles are toed in or parallel. Some disagreements can't be solved, but it's fun to discuss them. (Except for the mandibles discussion. That horse has been beaten to dust already, the dust beaten to finer dust and there is still no consensus).

So I guess the real question is...What is official? The studio mock-up? The studio miniature? A matte painting? What we see on the screen (which in the sequels is actually separate elements combined in post processing)? A website that tells us the official length?

I know this discussion was centered around the A-wing, but my 1 metre long Y-wing which I thought was 1/16 scale would now be around 1/24 scale...so I have a vested interest on how this turns out. :lol

TazMan2000

People see what they want to see. Much like the lifelong disagreement on whether the MF's mandibles are toed in or parallel. Some disagreements can't be solved, but it's fun to discuss them. (Except for the mandibles discussion. That horse has been beaten to dust already, the dust beaten to finer dust and there is still no consensus).

TazMan2000

The mandible issue was all around the FineMolds kits.....at that time people defended & justified spending all that money on that 600 part kit......now with access to images & measurements of the real 32", the Master Replicas & now the DeAgostini,...we can see as clear as day that FineMolds got quite a lot of dimensions & scales wrong with their kit of the 32" Falcon.....

the mandible issue is sorted & done with,....FM got it wrong

J

The mandible issue was all around the FineMolds kits.....at that time people defended & justified spending all that money on that 600 part kit......now with access to images & measurements of the real 32", the Master Replicas & now the DeAgostini,...we can see as clear as day that FineMolds got quite a lot of dimensions & scales wrong with their kit of the 32" Falcon.....

J

I know that, and you know that, but there are still people out there that disagree. And that's fine. To those that disagree, please don't discuss that here. I think there is a forum on www.theflatearthsociety.org or many other moon landing conspiracy sites. :lol

TazMan2000

If you could provide a clear picture as to how the full size props imply that the Y-wing is 23.4 metres, I will consider your comment, however, with my quick Google image search, I don't see that. In the original release of ANH, most of the Y-wing props were painted cutouts except for the one in the foreground, which had a nacelle improperly positioned too far forward. On Home One in ROTJ, the matte painting clearly shows the Y-wing as larger of course, but not by twice the length. Actually, even Wookiepedia seems to have a differing opinion of what is the official length (as well as the height).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Y-wing_starfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S3_Y-wing_starfighter

Most other sites that perhaps aren't official, (is Wookiepedia really the "official" site?) say that the Y-wing is 16 metres as well, but they could just be sheep following the herd.

So I guess the real question is...What is official? The studio mock-up? The studio miniature? A matte painting? What we see on the screen (which in the sequels is actually separate elements combined in post processing)? A website that tells us the official length?

The "official" size is what is listed on the "official" Star Wars Databank: http://www.starwars.com/databank/y-wing-starfighter

Occasionally the Databank has errors, but until the information given there is contradicted by another publication (one published since the old EU was washed away) or a TV episode/movie, it is what the ship is meant to be. Of the 3 links you provided, only the center one is based on information that is still canon - the others are based on EU information that no longer applies.

Even my calculated lengths taken from the blueprint you posted are questionable, since the publication that comes from is old enough to no longer be official. But, assuming the drawings of the CW and Rebel versions are faithful proportionally to the original movie and TV models, we can probably still draw those conclusions from it based on the "official" length.

And my point has been that information in the matte paintings and set pieces do support that this official 23.4 m length can be correct. Or rather, more or less correct, since it's unclear which version of the ship that length references (i.e., whether the Rebel ship is 23.4 m or a bit smaller to allow for the Rebellion's modifications of the Republic ship). If we take the Databank's X-wing length of 12.5 m, that ROTJ matte certainly points towards the Y-wing being well more than the 28% longer a 16 m length would give. And as I said, the ANH hangar shots are less clear, but can be interpreted to also imply the Y-wing is significantly longer (at the least, they do not provide clear proof of the 16 m length either). I agree that it's hard to see it being fully twice as long (as 23.4 vs 12.5 would be), which is why I think the 23.4 m is probably the CW length, giving us something closer to 19 m for the Rebel version (over half again as long as an X-wing).

The "official" size is what is listed on the "official" Star Wars Databank: http://www.starwars.com/databank/y-wing-starfighter

Occasionally the Databank has errors, but until the information given there is contradicted by another publication (one published since the old EU was washed away) or a TV episode/movie, it is what the ship is meant to be. Of the 3 links you provided, only the center one is based on information that is still canon - the others are based on EU information that no longer applies.

Even my calculated lengths taken from the blueprint you posted are questionable, since the publication that comes from is old enough to no longer be official. But, assuming the drawings of the CW and Rebel versions are faithful proportionally to the original movie and TV models, we can probably still draw those conclusions from it based on the "official" length.

And my point has been that information in the matte paintings and set pieces do support that this official 23.4 m length can be correct. Or rather, more or less correct, since it's unclear which version of the ship that length references (i.e., whether the Rebel ship is 23.4 m or a bit smaller to allow for the Rebellion's modifications of the Republic ship). If we take the Databank's X-wing length of 12.5 m, that ROTJ matte certainly points towards the Y-wing being well more than the 28% longer a 16 m length would give. And as I said, the ANH hangar shots are less clear, but can be interpreted to also imply the Y-wing is significantly longer (at the least, they do not provide clear proof of the 16 m length either). I agree that it's hard to see it being fully twice as long (as 23.4 vs 12.5 would be), which is why I think the 23.4 m is probably the CW length, giving us something closer to 19 m for the Rebel version (over half again as long as an X-wing).

I guess we will agree to disagree then. More or less. :p

TazMan2000

J

My heart sunk when I opened up the box and saw the mandibles. It's probably the only reason I never bothered to finish it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back