Bandai release schedule

There is no comparison between the MPC and Bandai AT-ST kits. The Bandai kit is a cut way above the MPC kit, but back in the day that was all we had. From what I've seen of the kits that they've released for sale, so far the detail has been exceptional. You can build a nice model out of the box, and any extra detailing/accurizing you put into it is extra icing on the cake. I'm probably going to put in my order for some SW kits from HLJ next weekend. These are inexpensive and well engineered kits. They are going to lend themselves very well to lighting, extra detailing, and painting without much effort.

I think it's a good time for SW model kit fans! Now if they can come out with a decent Star Destroyer kit that would make my day. I'll just have to wait and see. :)

Na, what I was asking Julien was how they compare accurately to the studio model,....he has found a few dimensional flaws in the Bandai

I'm looking forward to a Falcon release (..no surprise there I hear you sigh!!)

J

Can you point out the inaccuracies, as i'm not an expert on AT-ST's.
I have three more on the way and would like to make them accurate.

Keith

Some issues to correct :

The underside of the chassis is lacking a big radiator part (it is just scribbed).
All the shields (side guns, knees etc) and chassis fenders are twice as thick as the studio model... While they should be twice thinner !
The front armor plate of the head is also way too thick.
The edges of the head should curve inward if that makes sense, they are straight on the bandai model. The chassis looks slightly undersized but that's hardly noticeable.

Na, what I was asking Julien was how they compare accurately to the studio model,....he has found a few dimensional flaws in the Bandai

I'm looking forward to a Falcon release (..no surprise there I hear you sigh!!)

J

No worries :). My comment was in general, and not directed to anyone in particular. Flaws or not it's still a great kit. I'm looking forward to see what they do with the falcon if it is indeed on thier radar. I just want my star Destroyer kit! Bandai please take my $200-$300 for it! :)

One thing i might do when i build the walking pose AT-ST is cut the arm parts that come out of the chassis (the parts the legs join onto) in half and twist one of them a bit. On the model, there is a groove/line where the real models could twist. The only thing i'm not sure about is did the real models feet tilt from side to side to compensate for the leg turning in?

Keith.

Looking at my bandai model, making the feet tilt won't be easy. It looks like the best way would be to use two kits to build one. Cut at the bottom of the leg on one and then cut a slot into the bottom of that leg. Then cut the other kits leg higher and remove some plastic from the front and back so there is a section left to fit into the slot on the other leg. I could then fit a metal rod through from where the bolt is on the real one.
Not sure I want to waste a kit though.

Keith.

Yeah, I'm sure that could be done. I'm just thinking about strength in such a thin part, but could attach the extra styrene using some stainless steel rod.

Keith.

I'm not sure what you plan to do exactly ? If you're replicating the original armature this is a straight forward mod, stainless steel rod is overkill IMHO on a so tiny and light model, brass will just do it.

Some issues to correct :

The underside of the chassis is lacking a big radiator part (it is just scribbed).
All the shields (side guns, knees etc) and chassis fenders are twice as thick as the studio model... While they should be twice thinner !
The edges of the head should curve inward if that makes sense, they are straight on the bandai model. The chassis looks slightly undersized but that's hardly noticeable.

Any chance we get to see a side by side comparison pictures between those differences with your scratch build studio scale model and bandai? Please.

Just got my AT-ST and I gotta say I LOVE it! especially at that price! the only real weaknes I would say (for the average person) is the figures but even they are not horrible!
great kit!

Some issues to correct :

How about a comparison to the MPC kit. :lol

As much as the above shortcomings are a bit disappointing, we now have a model that is much better than any commercial kit released in the past.
Keep it coming Bandai.

TazMan2000

How tall is this kit? hopefully bigger than the old mpc

Maybe slightly larger? Going off memory here though. Seems like the head is slightly larger. Not to a degree that you would go "whoa! That's gigantic, dude!". Honestly though, having bought the MPC when it came out, and having this new kit, there is NO comparison - the Bandai kit is absolutely beautiful.

Well it is the size it should be... At 1/48 ! That's cool they've picked up that scale to get it in scale with other stuff.
They could have done it at 1/35 but then it would have not been in scale with any other Star wars stuff (x-wing, snowspeeder, TIE etc). And at 1/35 it would have been more or less 3/4 studio scale and people would have complained to no get it bigger...

Size doesnt count but details does ! And it is an awesome kit !!

As reported over at Starship Modeller,....a link to Star Wars 7 website .......confirmation of the BanDai Star Destroyer????
http://thecantina.starwars7news.com/index.php?threads/new-bandai-star-destroyer.2073/

RBanks said:
Bandai Models of Japan, since acquiring their license to produce Star Wars model kits, have put forth some of the finest Star Wars kits ever produced.

I have all of their current Star Wars kits, as well as a couple of their suitcase-sized 1/60 Perfect Grade Gundam kits, and two of their excellent 1/850 Scale Star Trek kits which include complex pre-painted aztec color schemes and full lighting effects out of the box.

Their kits are easily on par with the company that sets the standard by which all others are judged-Tamiya. To say a company produces a "Tamiya Quality" kit is the highest compliment a manufacturer can receive. Bandai kits are Tamiya Quality.

Today, my friend who owns our local hobby shop confirmed to me that Bandai is indeed producing the model that was their centerpiece at the 2014 Tokyo Model Show- The 1/1700 Scale Imperial Star Destroyer with full fiber-optic lighting package, detailed hangar bay, and adjustable display stand.

At over 3.5 feet overall length, and with a parts count purported to approach 1000, this may be the largest mass-produced Star Wars model kit ever produced. Needless to say, this will be a must-have kit for many, including myself. Release is scheduled for the 3rd quarter of 2015, and MSRP is estimated to be around $400.00 USD.

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back