Bandai release schedule

Well! It appears the 1/48 scale releases didn't sell well enough to continue to produce items in the larger scale. Once again the evil League of Gentlemen Modelers has won the day!
(as in 1/72 being referred to as 'the gentleman's scale' while 1/48 is for 'plumbers'. Of course, now that those gentlemen are equipped with more aged eyes, things seem different, eh?)

Sigh. Is it too late to switch? I mean, for goodness' sake, there is even a 1/72 Saturn V as a kit now! Only thing lacking seems to be a 1/72 scale aircraft carrier - though one was made for a museum...

Regards, Robert

Well! It appears the 1/48 scale releases didn't sell well enough to continue to produce items in the larger scale. Once again the evil League of Gentlemen Modelers has won the day!
(as in 1/72 being referred to as 'the gentleman's scale' while 1/48 is for 'plumbers'. Of course, now that those gentlemen are equipped with more aged eyes, things seem different, eh?)

Sigh. Is it too late to switch? I mean, for goodness' sake, there is even a 1/72 Saturn V as a kit now! Only thing lacking seems to be a 1/72 scale aircraft carrier - though one was made for a museum...

Regards, Robert

Has there ever been a plan by the manufacturer to issue their 1/72 kits in larger scales? I don't think so, especially when scales have been irregular with most of the vehicle releases floating around from 1/144 to 1/48. The moving edition X-wing was only a one-off product at this point.

I was hopeful with the 1/48 Snowspeeder & AT-ST kits and then the X-Wing which they may yet issue in a 'static' version which would put it more in the same price range as the other two. My current white whale is the 1/48 Y-Wing (now that I have a 1/48 "scale" Millennium Falcon...) Given the high quality of the 1/72 scale versions, popping them to 1/48 would be relatively simple as only 50% larger means the engineering could likely carry 'up' without alteration (speaking of mold design...)

I am at the point of using certain 1/72 scale kits as reference for scratchbuilding... which is ALWAYS an option! ;^P

R/ Robert

The Slave I seems to have the "moving cockpit" like the old mpc-kit - I thought that this feature was proven as wrong interpretation...?

The Slave I seems to have the "moving cockpit" like the old mpc-kit - I thought that this feature was proven as wrong interpretation...?

It wasn't designed to move in the original miniature and it doesn't appear to have moved in its landed shots in TESB. The MPC kit was the first with this rotate feature and then a cross-sections book picked up the idea. AOTC showed that the Jango version didn't rotate, but now Bandai is back to the moving idea. I guess we won't know a definitive answer until Lucasfilm makes its Boba Fett stand-alone movie, but that won't be for many years. I'm sure we'll debate it until then.

I like the idea of a rotating slave one cockpit. Wouldn't that make it way easier to get in your seat?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Regards, Robert

How 'bout Bandai tries out a 48th scale x-wing without the light and sound and movement. Priced accordingly, see how that sells. Sheesh. I get a chance to get the 48th scale Y-wing that Bandai could make, I can finally dump my studio scale Y on ebay.

It wasn't designed to move in the original miniature and it doesn't appear to have moved in its landed shots in TESB. The MPC kit was the first with this rotate feature and then a cross-sections book picked up the idea. AOTC showed that the Jango version didn't rotate, but now Bandai is back to the moving idea. I guess we won't know a definitive answer until Lucasfilm makes its Boba Fett stand-alone movie, but that won't be for many years. I'm sure we'll debate it until then.
I thought the prototype model used the rotating cockpit , just never seen on screen

A question.... would one be able to take the dish from an unfinished, sitting in its box, gathering dust Fine Molds 1/144th Falcon and use it on this Bandai kit to make an OT Falcon? Or is the "new" TFA Falcon painted a bit differently?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A question.... would one be able to take the dish from an unfinished, sitting in its box, gathering dust Fine Molds 1/144th Falcon and use it on this Bandai kit to make an OT Falcon? Or is the "new" TFA Falcon painted a bit differently?

Thanks!

Well the thing is,...the FM kit made the dish undersized,...thats why theres replacement parts for both the 72nd & 144th made by Scratchy & on Shapeways,...so it would be too small.....on top of that,....the length of the FM kit is 22cm,......the Bandai kit is 31cm.....& if you work out the scale Bandai is bang on for what the Full size Falcon is supposed to be

So the dish of the 1-144 FM would look ridiculously small

J

Well the thing is,...the FM kit made the dish undersized,...thats why theres replacement parts for both the 72nd & 144th made by Scratchy & on Shapeways,...so it would be too small.....on top of that,....the length of the FM kit is 22cm,......the Bandai kit is 31cm.....& if you work out the scale Bandai is bang on for what the Full size Falcon is supposed to be

So the dish of the 1-144 FM would look ridiculously small

J

Ahhh, I see. Ok, so I'd definitely need to score a different dish once the kit I ordered arrives. Is there a thread or info about getting the dishes? Thanks for the info, Jaitea, I do appreciate it! :)

No problem Betamin,...its strange that Bandai hasn't done an optional dish (still hoping it'll be on the sprue somewhere),...but Im sure Tony (FX6) will design one & put it up on Shapeways,....I'd like to see your build/mod when you get the kit

J

No problem Betamin,...its strange that Bandai hasn't done an optional dish (still hoping it'll be on the sprue somewhere),...but Im sure Tony (FX6) will design one & put it up on Shapeways,....I'd like to see your build/mod when you get the kit

J

Yeah, it would be great if they did add the dish, because you know someone there probably said "It's two Falcons in one if we add this!" lol I'll definitely post pics once I get it and work on it. I started the Fine Molds smaller one a while back, but the cockpit got jacked up when the glue frosted up the edges of the canopy. I had done a ton of work to that point, putting fiber optics in the dash and back cockpit wall, only to have the damned glass ruin all the work. I'd spent a ton of time with the Dremel and tiny bits doing all the holes and blast marks too. :thumbsdown

Does anyone know what's happened with HLJ?

I have 5 of the Bandai kits but can no longer find them on the HLJ site. Are they blocking US customers now? if not could somebody please post a link?

Does anyone know what's happened with HLJ?

I have 5 of the Bandai kits but can no longer find them on the HLJ site. Are they blocking US customers now? if not could somebody please post a link?
Uh......I hate to be the one to tell you this.......but......

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back