Bandai release schedule

Looks like they are breaking continuity with the falcon. It has five sets of landing gear legs in it's 'New' configuration and then loses two for ANH then back to five for ESB. Doesn't really make sense.

Cheers

Looks like the cockpit has similar designing yo-yo'ing going on; it's the ESB depth, and has the control yokes from ESB. The ESB style Falcon has presumably been deemed to be the canonical Falcon by Lucasfilm, and ANH is just an historical anomaly.

I'm surprisingly OK with this. There were already too many inconsistencies, what's one more?

Looks like they are breaking continuity with the falcon. It has five sets of landing gear legs in it's 'New' configuration and then loses two for ANH then back to five for ESB. Doesn't really make sense.

Cheers
I see it this way: The original three set LG was a misconception from the start. It was sufficient for the half set that was constructed for ANH. When they rebuilt the Falcon set for TESB and made it complete, it was apparent that three landing struts were unable to sustain the weight of the ship, so they added two more. Had they constructed a full Falcon set for ANH they might have been aware of the problem in the first place and have switched to a five strut config right away then. So IMO the Falcon was always supposed to have five LG boxes.

In addition, the ANH budget was very tight and they had to save money were they could, and omitting two LG boxes at a place no-one would look at anyway was a logical option. Who would have thought that the set would have been needed for another movie again? ;)

I see it this way: The original three set LG was a misconception from the start. It was sufficient for the half set that was constructed for ANH. When they rebuilt the Falcon set for TESB and made it complete, it was apparent that three landing struts were unable to sustain the weight of the ship, so they added two more. Had they constructed a full Falcon set for ANH they might have been aware of the problem in the first place and have switched to a five strut config right away then. So IMO the Falcon was always supposed to have five LG boxes.

In addition, the ANH budget was very tight and they had to save money were they could, and omitting two LG boxes at a place no-one would look at anyway was a logical option. Who would have thought that the set would have been needed for another movie again? ;)

I think it was more a case of trying to be true to McQuarrie’s design with the sleeker 3 LG struts, as opposed to a cost cutting exercise. Unless your post was tongue in cheek, in which case I wholly apologise :)

The original three set LG was a misconception from the start. It was sufficient for the half set that was constructed for ANH.

It wasn't, though -- the reason there's a large cable dangling from the underside of the Falcon in the Docking Bay 94 scene is that they had to put a big steel pillar in there to keep the half set from collapsing. The cable hides the support pillar.

Landing Gear.???..look at the AIRLOCK!
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 21.28.38.png
SOLO Trailer Fullsize

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 21.28.32.png
McQuarrie Illustration

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 21.38.22.png
TFA Fullsize

Last edited:
I think they just changed their mind when they made ESB. It may have been because the full size set didn't work with only 3 supports or a design decision. I don't think they are saying in universe it was changed.

In universe during ROTJ, did Luke have a beat up saber and a nice clean one at the same time? No. They filmed most scenes with the beat up one, then changed their mind and hoped no one would notice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry guys I like your optimism, but from a sheer aesthetics position the unimandible looks horrible! This essentially turns the falcon into a slice of pizza. I don't get how it fits into the canon of the Falcon either if in ROTS it is supposedly confirmed that the Falcon or Stellar Envoy flies across the screen with 2 mandibles. Unless it is a component of the falcon that is removable?
d84f3f95d6266e7f5ebd8e8989607aa1.jpg
dd9805407065040dc45abc7ed521e75d.jpg

Edit: Granted this is probably just artwork, but how does this work when following the shape of the mandibles? They are way too close together at the tips.
Unimandible.jpg
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't see the landing gear as a problem, you can see as she appears in the Solo image, she has no lower maintenance pits,....take the 2 landing gear bays away & thats where the pits will be.....the part in between & in front of the mandibles is removable......there is something similar in the canon Haynes manual....

Now a way that the Falcon could be the Stellar Envoy could be that Lando bought, won or stole the Stellar Envoy which was already a ship with history,...but when he had his hands on her, he pimped her up,....adding the storage block between the mandibles & a new paint job.....

J

I don't see the landing gear as a problem, you can see as she appears in the Solo image, she has no lower maintenance pits,....take the 2 landing gear bays away & thats where the pits will be.....the part in between & in front of the mandibles is removable......there is something similar in the canon Haynes manual....

Now a way that the Falcon could be the Stellar Envoy could be that Lando bought, won or stole the Stellar Envoy which was already a ship with history,...but when he had his hands on her, he pimped her up,....adding the storage block between the mandibles & a new paint job.....

J

It makes sense, but how do explain the spacing of the tips of the mandibles?

I don't get how it fits into the canon of the Falcon either if in ROTS it is supposedly confirmed that the Falcon or Stellar Envoy flies across the screen with 2 mandibles.

Probably because the Solo filmmakers don't want to have their designs constrained to a wink wink nudge Easter egg that is 20 pixels across that 99.99999% of the audience didn't notice or would care anyway.

It makes sense, but how do explain the spacing of the tips of the mandibles?

The mandibles look longer,...so either they move forward or thats an end valance,....or he crashes her

The mandibles are meant to be pincers to close & lock onto cargo containers

J

Really hope we get to see Bandai release a 1/144 of the Solo Falcon. I’m loving the gapless mandibles.

edit: trailer looks good but that obviously means nothing. Love a bit of Woody Harrelson though.

I agree.
That design has a very 70’s / McQuarrie vibe and Id love to see Bandai tackle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mandibles look longer,...so either they move forward or thats an end valance,....or he crashes her

The mandibles are meant to be pincers to close & lock onto cargo containers

J

That's a little bit of a "stretch" don't you think? ;)

No, not really,...theres loads of stuff different on her in the new film,....Han has removed added, probably crashed that ship....who knows....not everything needs to be explained

J
Sorry Jaitea, just messing around. It was just a bad pun. Not really trying to argue either way.

Yeah, those mandibles are a good 30% longer.

I've said this before but if the falcon is the general Lee, then this is the dodge Daytona charger of smuggler ships.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back