Bandai release schedule

The 5-footer studio model cockpit that doesn't match the live-action sets. View attachment 733068
Oh of course.

Personally, I always try to make my models like the studio scale version. But I take exceptions to the cockpit. That being said, I doubt I would ever buy an aftermarket cockpit kit.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell if the front of the cone is scalloped or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, I told myself the DeAgo was my final MF. I've built and gifted 2 FM falcons since I see no need for many of the same ship, buuuutttttt........Damn you Bandai and your amazingly accurate kits! Maybe I'll buy one and save it for retirement

I know I'm in the minority here, but I for one think the Falcon looks unbalanced without the forward landing pads. I know this is in its original iteration and it is truely beautiful, but I'm going to have to wait for an ESB version.

Being a single income household money is always tight but we do get some extra now and then to spend on stuff we want, not just need. My wife and I balance- she has her love of makeup (which can be pretty pricey when you get into the Ulta/Sephora stocks) and I have my computer and modeling stuff.

Still, this Falcon will take a big chuck of change. I am going to bank on Bandai, for completeness, will offer the TESB version with the extra landing gear down the road. I like that version best and it would give me time to set aside a bit hear and there to pay for it.

I am very impressed by what I have seen- they even had exposed hardware inside the gash left by battle damage!

Being a single income household money is always tight but we do get some extra now and then to spend on stuff we want, not just need. My wife and I balance- she has her love of makeup (which can be pretty pricey when you get into the Ulta/Sephora stocks) and I have my computer and modeling stuff.

Still, this Falcon will take a big chuck of change. I am going to bank on Bandai, for completeness, will offer the TESB version with the extra landing gear down the road. I like that version best and it would give me time to set aside a bit hear and there to pay for it.

I am very impressed by what I have seen- they even had exposed hardware inside the gash left by battle damage!
Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have any guilty pleasures like that. She's never worn makeup and rarely buys clothes. Scotch is pretty much her only "treat" (and I always end up drinking most of it)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

DANGIT I'm out!!

Just can't justify spending that kind of money for a kit!:facepalm

Mmm... If I spend $400 in a video card for my computer, spend a little LEsS for a new MF it's almost the same.

Now, I just need $400 to spend in a new Millennium Falcon

Last edited:
simultaneously estatic and then promptly disappointed by the Japan limited internet sale only aspect

As far as those thinking this will be available for ever, the 1/350 Space Battleship Yamato is a good example of a high priced limited item that really is a limited run.

I am pretty sure this is going to be a get them while you can item with a very short shelf life

I'll say it again, a 1/72 Bandai Falcon is an evergreen kit. It's a money tree. Bandai is going to want to profit from this kit for as long as they hold the license. And with Disney in charge, and the customers as happy as they are, it's a partnership that is likely to last a long time. If they swap out the sprue for the lower hull, they can offer the TESB/ROTJ version. Another sprue swap with a different radar dish and they can offer the TFA/TLJ version. Every time it's KA-CHING.

And don't forget. There's a Han Solo movie coming out one year from now. Can you imagine Disney NOT wanting this model available as a tie-in?

Then why release it in such a limited fashion compared to their other model kits?

I wonder if there may be some licensing/behind the scenes non-compete clause stuff that might be preventing it from release outside Japan

Actually with Disney involved I don't think it is quite as easy as it sounds

I wonder if yoy can get it from Amazon Japan.

I got the Star Wars Chronicles: The Vehicles Book from Amazon Japan and the damn thing arrived in 4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a Japan amazon account or address do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say it again, a 1/72 Bandai Falcon is an evergreen kit. It's a money tree. Bandai is going to want to profit from this kit for as long as they hold the license. And with Disney in charge, and the customers as happy as they are, it's a partnership that is likely to last a long time. If they swap out the sprue for the lower hull, they can offer the TESB/ROTJ version. Another sprue swap with a different radar dish and they can offer the TFA/TLJ version. Every time it's KA-CHING.

And don't forget. There's a Han Solo movie coming out one year from now. Can you imagine Disney NOT wanting this model available as a tie-in?

Pretty much these are my thoughts, i was wondering why they went with ANH model without the under blocks, or the option to decide which version you want to build...of course, that way they have more room to sell more kits Versions,

That kit looks really amazing, but because of that.. still makes it not the definitive one for me (not for 400$), now i have to decide if i keep going with my FM and all the extras i bought , or wait.. but i have been waiting since the first MPC model i bought and never built...always waiting :(

Last edited:
Now all of you quit your whining. Lol

I would only quit my whining if they had simultaneously announced a general release of this kit with more options (i.e., additional landing gear), a 1:72 Slave I, a 1:72 Lambda-class shuttle, a 1:72 TIE Bomber, a 1:72 B-Wing, a 1:72 TIE Defender, a 1:72 "Inquisitor's TIE", a 1:72 Ghost, a 1:72 Outrider, a 1:72 Z-95 Headhunter, a 1:270 series of "midsize" ships like Corvettes and Gunships, a 1:48 ESB AT-ST, a 1:48 AT-DP, a 1:48 AT-RT, and big Imperial and First Order Star Destroyers (in the same scale, whatever it ends up being).

Even if the announced release dates were a few years from now, or even still merely TBA/TBD, just knowing they had the specific intention would satisfy me.

But yes, this is a very big step in the right direction, IMO. Gawd that thing is gorgeous...

--Jonah

Then why release it in such a limited fashion compared to their other model kits?

The only thing I can think of is to pull in the early adopters. They know the kit is high on everyone's wish list -- they admit it in the video -- so it makes zero sense to make a kit "everyone" wants and then say, "But we're only going to make it available to some of you and only for a short time." The kit must be a huge investment. Certainly they want that investment to pay off.

Either this "perfect edition" is a bells and whistles version that they hope to charge a premium for before offering a more stripped down (non-lighting kit) version later, or...

...there's a licensing issue with other vendors. And when we start talking about other vendors it can only mean -- ugh -- Revell. Does Revell consider this a direct competitor to their FM/Master Series version? I mean, it is. If there's a legal reason why Bandai can't just release their kit, Revell standing in the way would have to be at the top of the list. They're the only ones with something to lose.

Frankly, I'd prefer non-lighting, because there are many display options. My pick would be for a "landed-but-on" -- engines dark, but the ground lights and cabin lights and limited cockpit panel lights (the ones that were on before Han fired up the ship on Hoth, probably) on. And rather than try to remove one element from a lighting rig and make sure everything still worked, I'd rather build up from the other end, with LED, EL, and mini-incandescent elements as optimal. I also plan to do a full (idealized) interior, and anything I do for lighting would have to work around that, which a factory kit might not. *shrug*

Also because I prefer smaller line-item expendatures. Even if I ended up paying more in the long run overall, it's easier on my to do, say, $250 for just the plastic kit, and then $300 more in $5 and $10 and $2 increments for all the other stuff (3D printing, sheet styrene, paint, glue, EL sheet, EL wire, optical fiber, Li-ion battery pack, etc., etc...) than $400 all in one chunk. Even the movies back this up:

"Ten thousand -- all in advance."
"We can give you two thousand now, plus fifteen when we reach Alderaan."

Maybe we should have Ben negotiate with Bandai... :ninja

--Jonah

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back