Subscribe
    From
    San Francisco
    1 Day Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 8:47 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4551

I’ve always figured the starships in SW are made of some kind of hyper materials, otherwise such small vehicles shouldn’t be able to withstand the stresses of space flight and the accelerations involved. The falcon just doesn’t have ROOM for the internal bracing that should be necessary to avoid the engines tearing the ship apart, therefore it must be made of something far more durable than the alloys known to science in our galaxy.

To say nothing of containing the energies involved.
    1 Day Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 9:19 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4552

monsterpartyhat said: View Post
    I’ve always figured the starships in SW are made of some kind of hyper materials, otherwise such small vehicles shouldn’t be able to withstand the stresses of space flight and the accelerations involved. The falcon just doesn’t have ROOM for the internal bracing that should be necessary to avoid the engines tearing the ship apart, therefore it must be made of something far more durable than the alloys known to science in our galaxy.

Yes and yes.

Some people apparently loose sleep over this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    1 Day Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 10:01 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4553

I think they have some kind of force fields that help keep it together. I think one of the Prequel cutaway books showed the Trade Federation lander and it said it has "tensor fields" (something like that) that help keep structural integrity.
    From
    Southern California
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 2:00 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4554

blakeh1 said: View Post
    I think the biggest difference in Force Awakens flight behavior vs the original trilogy's behavior is simply due to CGI vs practical effects

The practical effects really limited what could be done with the models from a filming standpoint where as the CGI has no limitations

In this case, having no limitation is bad because you can pull off all kinds up simulated viewing angles and maneuvers which look fake compared to a real camera filming a real miniature in the real world

Sure they are both totally bunk for actual real physics in real space, but at least the practical effects follow our expectations

CGI is a powerful tool that can return totally unrealistic and cartoony looking sequences unless you can put some restraint on it
    Oh, absolutely. The slower camera movements used for practical effects give the impression that the ships actually have substantial mass even if they're only three or five feet long in real life. A lot of CG artists seem to overlook that element, and ships like the Falcon and the X-Wings end up looking like a dead leaves being blown around in a hurricane. They can invent all of the mysterious magical maneuvering technology they want to try to explain it away, but it still looks wrong.
    From
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 7:10 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4555

I agree, the ship movements in TFA were crap. Totally fake looking, overdone CGI.
    Just last night I saw a trailer for TLJ, Poe’s x-wing made a 180* ‘drift’ turn....so it looks like we are in for more of it.
    Ugh.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 9:01 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4556

Along with the Falcon stuff in the beginning, the whole "what a pilot" sequence with Poe's X-wing snapped me out of the movie. I don't remember anything too bad from the battle at the end
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 9:43 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4557

Jkirkon said: View Post
    I agree, the ship movements in TFA were crap. Totally fake looking, overdone CGI.
    Just last night I saw a trailer for TLJ, Poe’s x-wing made a 180* ‘drift’ turn....so it looks like we are in for more of it.
    Ugh.
    The falcon also did one of those on Jakuu

Tell me about it! The only "drift" turn that ever worked was with those vipers in Galactica. But it was made very clear that they had the repulsors in all directions to make it work that way. They were attempting to acknowledge Newtonian physics in space.
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 10:09 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4558

Getting briefly back to the subject of Bandai releases (and I love a good sidetrack): Building the sidewalls on the PF MF makes me drool at the idea of Bandai doing a PG star destroyer. I have no doubt that Bandai could make an exact replica, part for part, of the ANH devastator (and this version would be my preference) but I suspect most people would want the more detailed TESB version. Either way, I'd gladly pay another $370 for one!
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 10:24 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4559

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    Getting briefly back to the subject of Bandai releases (and I love a good sidetrack): Building the sidewalls on the PF MF makes me drool at the idea of Bandai doing a PG star destroyer. I have no doubt that Bandai could make an exact replica, part for part, of the ANH devastator (and this version would be my preference) but I suspect most people would want the more detailed TESB version. Either way, I'd gladly pay another $370 for one!

That's a good question. I was thinking about this last night. After paying this much for a falcon, what model would I also pay this kind of money for? Probably a bandai star destroyer as well.

I could also be convinced to get a studio scale x-wing or a Buck rogers Starfighter.

But my quest for expensive models would probably end there
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 10:43 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4560

I hesitated for a couple days about ordering the PG Falcon just because of my memories of spending $200 on a FM Falcon original release and then being disappointed when there were STILL proportional issues with the kit. Now that I have the PG in my hands, however, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $400 for a PG star destroyer (assuming it was a decent size -- 2'-ish). It's basically the ILM miniature... in miniature.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 12:55 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4561

Hunk a Junk said: View Post
    ...I have no doubt that Bandai could make an exact replica, part for part, of the ANH devastator (and this version would be my preference) but I suspect most people would want the more detailed TESB version. Either way, I'd gladly pay another $370 for one!
    Yes please! A Devastator in scale with the Zvezda would be awesome, and different enough to not be a "me too" release. Or even better base it on the Rogue 1 version, just get ILM's digital files.
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 1:25 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4562

robn1 said: View Post
    Yes please! A Devastator in scale with the Zvezda would be awesome, and different enough to not be a "me too" release. Or even better base it on the Rogue 1 version, just get ILM's digital files.

I could totally get on board with a devastator. There's something about those tank turrets that really get my heart pumping.
  13. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    1 Day Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 5:50 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4563

DanielB said: View Post
    The owner of Hobbyworld USA said on a Facebook group last night that he's expecting a shipment of Bandai PG Falcons and will be selling them for $299. He doesn't expect his supply to come in for another couple of weeks, though.
    Any word on this? I haven't seen it on the website nor on Facebook--though I don't totally understand Facebook and just use my wife's account to look at things occasionally.
    Thanks,
    Mike Todd
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    20 Hours Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 9:55 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4564

blakeh1 said: View Post
    Along with the Falcon stuff in the beginning, the whole "what a pilot" sequence with Poe's X-wing snapped me out of the movie. I don't remember anything too bad from the battle at the end
    I didn't like it when I saw it, but maybe the new X-Wings are more maneuverable. I don't know. I'm more worried about having a decent story this time.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    16 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 2:33 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4565

The Last Jedi kits for the 1:144 Falcon, 3 pack mini Falcon+ 2 Xwings, and Blue Resistance fighter are apparently out now.

14 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 3:55 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4566

What's the difference between these new X-wings and the previous ones? Astromechs?
  17. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    12 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 6:18 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4567

For those worried about physics in Star Wars, how does an X-wing or TIE fighter turn at all? I don't see anything like flaps or changes in thrust direction. Flaps wouldn't work in space anyway, but these ships seem to work just as well in space or atmosphere.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  18. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    10 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 8:16 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4568

Jkirkon said: View Post
    Ugh.
    That’s called a hook maneuver. Actually very realistic and possible with modern fighter jets with thrust vectoring. Only difference would be the speed it’s done at, alloys in the Star Wars universe are presumably more advanced( able to endure more structural stress). Lastly our jets have 1 or two engines and an X-wing has 4, with Poe’s having 5 which makes it even more possible. Especially being in space where it takes very little to change your attitude, but redirecting course after the attitude adjustment would take a lot of energy, but with 4 engine with that booster on top of it, it should relatively easy.
  19. Member Since
    Feb 2017
    10 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 8:19 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4569

ggriffaw said: View Post
    For those worried about physics in Star Wars, how does an X-wing or TIE fighter turn at all? I don't see anything like flaps or changes in thrust direction. Flaps wouldn't work in space anyway, but these ships seem to work just as well in space or atmosphere.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Engine thrust vectoring and in space thrust vectoring and something similar to what modern satellites have which is called a reaction wheel centripetal force to change the crafts attitude.
    8 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 10:19 AM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4570

From what I remember in the Cross Sections book, , the cylindrical housings in the front of the X-Wings engines is not an intake, but a set of four gyroscopic turning assists. I have no idea how the T-70 equivalent is supposed to work though.
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    6 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4571

Talking about science in Star Wars? This ain't Trek folks. Star Wars has never ever tried to have realistic physics/science. It's space fantasy.
    6 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 12:33 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4572

Talking about science in Star Wars? This ain't Trek folks. Star Wars has never ever tried to have realistic physics/science. It's space fantasy.
    Dont you dare bring common sense to this discussion. LOL!
    From
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    4 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 2:02 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4573

So is Trek. Just sayin'.

TazMan2000
    From
    Somewhere up by Canada, Minnesota
    2 Hours Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 4:44 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4574

TazMan2000 said: View Post
    So is Trek. Just sayin'.

TazMan2000
    Nope, trek is science fiction. SW his science fantasy.

Regarding movement of SW fighters, George modeled then to fly like airplanes, as rediculous as that would be in space. It's what we're used to though. Since then, we've all been to air shows where we've seen real airplanes do maneuvers like the skid Poe executes in the new TLJ trailer. It's just an extension of what we've become used to - I have no problem with it.

I might have a problem with all the 50G maneuvering he was doing over Maz's castle in TFA, though. That just ignored momentum, and looked like a video game.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    1 Hour Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 5:30 PM - Re: Bandai release schedule #4575

monsterpartyhat said: View Post

Considering the rust and other damage, I'm not so sure.

And running into the ground would be a much larger stress on it than a tie fighter blast.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk