Bandai release schedule

Is the Grievous kit going to be available in the US,....if it's Asia only, maybe that's why they didn't use Celebration as a springboard for it

J

Well, that question brings up my other longstanding beef with licenses. Is the kit going to be available in the U.S.? Yes and no. I assume it's not going to brick and mortar stores, but it'll still be available to anyone who wants one via Amazon or eBay or HobbyLink Japan, etc. Having products like these "exclusive" to territories or regions when shipping makes such exclusivity virtually meaningless is kind of a joke. Disney, Lucasfilm, and Bandai all know customers in the U.S. are buying these kits easily. Pretending they don't just to honor antiquated licensing practices is nonsense.

Got my 1:72 TIE Interceptor and did some compare-and-contrast with my FineMolds one. Bandai definitely went with filming miniatures = in scale to each other versus FM's interpretation. This means that where FM's Rebel fighters are a little bigger than Bandai's, their TIEs are a little smaller. I'll get pics up tonight to show. Right next to each other (or one wing overlaid on the other) it's visible, but not glaring. With several non-TIE craft between them in a display, it probably wouldn't be apparent at all.

Also, because of how I'm displaying my various ships, I have no use for the Death Star tiles. If anyone wants the one from my Interceptor kit, lemme know. Ditto the clear fluorescent laser-bolt pieces and the no-glass canopies and hatches from all my kits.-
-
Jonah

Got my 1:72 TIE Interceptor and did some compare-and-contrast with my FineMolds one. Bandai definitely went with filming miniatures = in scale to each other versus FM's interpretation. This means that where FM's Rebel fighters are a little bigger than Bandai's, their TIEs are a little smaller. I'll get pics up tonight to show. Right next to each other (or one wing overlaid on the other) it's visible, but not glaring. With several non-TIE craft between them in a display, it probably wouldn't be apparent at all.

Also, because of how I'm displaying my various ships, I have no use for the Death Star tiles. If anyone wants the one from my Interceptor kit, lemme know. Ditto the clear fluorescent laser-bolt pieces and the no-glass canopies and hatches from all my kits.-
-
Jonah
me me me!

Pm inbound

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of any announcements that they have a license for the non-Asian markets regarding their figure kits.

If they switched to silhouettes to avoid issues with figure license, then I doubt they would take a risk showing off figures kits outside their licensed market right under Disney's nose.

I still don't get how that could be when LEGO gets around it by putting a vehicle in with a handful of figures. Technically that is exactly what a model company would be doing.

I still don't get how that could be when LEGO gets around it by putting a vehicle in with a handful of figures. Technically that is exactly what a model company would be doing.
I am guessing that if that is truly the reason for the sudden appearance of the "blank" figures it was probably Bandai's choice to simply avoid any issues that might arise from it and playing it safe.

I am guessing that if that is truly the reason for the sudden appearance of the "blank" figures it was probably Bandai's choice to simply avoid any issues that might arise from it and playing it safe.
Yes, and I think it is a very Japanese mindset to avoid any conflict and try to foster healthy business relationships. To "save face" if you will.

Not a bad thing in the big picture, just a minor disappointing one for us modelers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe Lego figures are part of the Lego license.

Anovos has a license for costumes which include helmets. efx has a license for prop replicas which also includes helmets. Sometimes there is overlap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oh well. I had thought it was worth a glimmer of hope.

Rebellions are built on hope. :popcorn

Back here on Earth, I'm not expecting anything announced by Bandai today. They'll stick to their "any random non-holiday weekday for whatever reason oh by the way were making this model" schedule. As long as they keep making them, I'm cool with it.

Rebellions are built on hope. :popcorn

Back here on Earth, I'm not expecting anything announced by Bandai today. They'll stick to their "any random non-holiday weekday for whatever reason oh by the way were making this model" schedule. As long as they keep making them, I'm cool with it.

The Shizuoka Hobby Show starts on May 11, a week from today, hopefully they will be showing off their new stuff then.

The Shizuoka Hobby Show starts on May 11, a week from today, hopefully they will be showing off their new stuff then.

They'll probably show up with an amazing fully-lit, motorized 1/2 scale R2-D2 with real working rocket packs and a sign that says "For promotion, not for production." They should be flagged for taunting.

I'm still very happy we're getting a Grievous and the battledroid 2-pack. That'll keep me happy until September when they announce their TLJ kits.

Toadmeister's claimed my DS tiles, to keep folks updated. The laser bolts and glassless hatch/canopy/windowframe pieces are all still free to good homes. Had a couple further thoughts...

Since the TIE Interceptor viewport frame is so much darker than the other, earlier TIEs, I was poking around for a suitable out-of-the-bottle option, and hit upon one I've had for quite some time. PollyScale's (now Testors') "Grimy Black". It's one of the old railroad colors, and so likely to have been on hand at ILM, given how many others they used on production. It looks grayer in the bottle, dries darker. Looks almost black until you stick it next to something that actually is black. Pics as I'm actually able to get stuff airbrushed now that the weather's warmed up.

I wish there were any chance Bandai might do kits in 1:270, but that would put them directly against Fantasy Flight Games. I just wish FFG's larger-size X-Wing miniatures were actually the same 1:270 as the fighters and freighters and such. The Corellian Corvette is nice, but underscaled to make it less unwieldy. If Bandai does one in 1:144, then it'd be way overscaled. And something in the increasingly-popular 1:350 would be about where FFG has already done theirs. *sigh*

--Jonah

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back