I Made a Kylo Ren Style Lightsaber

Jasper hams

I'm a big fan of the new lightsaber design so i thought i'd have a crack at making one myself. This is my first post so i'm sorry if i've made any faux pas. The trailer was a little dark so a lot of the detail is an interpretation.

Wooded pe.jpg

I started with a 3D model in Maya and asked a friend of mine with a Zortrax M200 to print it out for me.

printing.jpg

The print came out perfectly.

complete print.jpg

With a bit of sanding and primer it started looking really nice.

IMG_0519.JPG

Time to mold! always a nerve racking time for me, but it came out great.

Finished and moulded.jpg

I dusted the inside of the mold with aluminium powder to cold cast it and give it a great metallic finish. A lick of paint and some light weathering and i was pretty happy with the result. has a nice satisfying weight in the hand.

Main.jpg

Hey Jasper hams, it's FluffyChristian from Reddit! Your lightsaber is absolutely fantastic and has inspired me to build my own. My school has a 3D printer so I'm going to see if I can get access to it so I can follow the steps you took. One question that I do have is, "Are you able to put blades of any sort on the hilt?" Thanks so much! And again, absolutely fantastic!

Hi Twyst (FluffyChristian)

good luck on your own build! it's a good shape for 3D printing, I split my model up into sections and printed each vertically (including the two side emitters) just so it printed a cleanly as possible.

In mine i've kept a hollow cylinder in each of the emitters so i can add a blade at a later date (currently working on them). I could also use my mold to do a hollow cast of i wanted to put any electronics inside.

If there's anything else i can help with please let me know.

Thanks for the info Jasper hams! I do have one more question, about the 3D model. Will you be releasing the model publicly? I can understand if you wouldn't, of course. So in lieu of the actual of model, can you give me insight as too what to expect designing pieces that will snugly fit together? Thanks so much.

Finally got around to printing this beast. Took almost 8 hours. Gotta do some cleanup on the supports and reprint the lower piece as those thin pieces broke while separating the support from it...free. Otherwise it came out nice
VZkH9l0.jpg

Got the lower part of the hilt reprinted and supports removed without issue this time. Now to sand and paint this.

Last edited:
Jasper, detail and screen accuracy wise, that's the best interpretation of that saber I have seen so far (and I think I've seen them all). Kudos.

Jasper, detail and screen accuracy wise, that's the best interpretation of that saber I have seen so far (and I think I've seen them all). Kudos.

Thanks! I stared at screenshots of it for days. But with the darkness of the shot a lot of it was left to the imagination. i'm sure when we get more of a look at it it'll be quite different.

I also liked one of the theories out there that this lightsaber had been cobbled together from ancient sith artifacts. so i kept that in mind for the less obvious bits.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back