The Doctor from Doctor Who and the Doctor from Star Trek Voyager Use Same Prop???

Renaissance Jed

While rewatching episode 17 from season 3 of Star Trek Voyager, I noticed something very peculiar that I have seen, and made before.
cortical probe voyager.jpg
Here the Doctor is seen using a "cortical probe" to study the "axonal amplifier" (whatever that is) on the corpse of a Borg drone. This probe bears a striking resemblance to the style of sonic screwdriver used by Doctors 3,4,5,8, and War from Doctor Who.
dw_G1extend.jpg
Note the similarities between the two props. They both feature a similar angle at the top (A). The middle is marked by a thicker ring (B), although on the Star Trek prop, two pegs are attached to the ring. Both props have rings cut into the top part right before the thicker, bottom part of the tool (C).
cordical probe voyager2.jpg
As if that weren't enough, both props are activated by retracting the "sleeve." By lighting up on the end, the Doctor's (ST) cortical probe looks a hell of a lot like the War Doctor's (DW) sonic screwdriver from the Day of the Doctor.

Good Eye that is great stuff. I have read on some older RPF threads about the original Doctor Who sonic and saw some great shots that are similar to the tool the Doctor is using. Might be a little nod to Doctor Who from the Star Trek folks :)

its used from the same template but it is not the same prop, it is a common to not so common surgical device which is what the original sonic is based off of

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back