Koolshade sources

darbyvet

Does anyone have any sources for Koolshade.I have a studio scale Tie fighter and I am looking for the Koolshade for the wings.I know the original stuff is long gone , but I cant even find the 17 louvers per inch version in USA.Anyone have any suggestions
Thanks in advance

I could give my old supplier a call depending on your interest level, it's been a while but he said if I was ever up for buying a few sections again he'd
be willing dig through his warehouse one last time. With the hope I might be able to snag a TIE kit from Monsieurtox, I'd jump at the chance to get an extra sheet or two for myself.

(this would be for the vintage shade, which is more expensive..)

Here's the old ad Kurt @ modelermagic posted years ago when I was selling the stuff hot and heavy. The e-mail address
in the listing is still current if you'd like to get in touch.

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=20702

Either way, hope you find what you're after!

That's for the currently manufactured material. Vintage stuff is quite different and it's long, long gone. You might get lucky and find some that was salvaged from an old building, but it tends to get weathered and beat up over time.

I know it's for the 17 louver but once you get it on the model it looks great. The vintage costs more than the kit does.

Thanks everyone.THis is my first post on this forum and I am very grateful for all the help I have received.I am sure when I start building this forum will be a great help.

standard fabric is £85/m2 they know all about it being used on star wars models. they even do a tie fighter kit which contains enough to do one. they have a roll of the original stuff but the owner wont sell as its the only one in existance.

what is it you are after it for? I have just had a half hour conversation with their lead engineer, im going to try to cultivate a relationship there.

ok so I just got this email from the lead engineer at koolshade.

Hello Garreth,

Thank you for getting in contact with me today. I am alwayshappy to know there are more SW fans out there that still appreciate it likeme.

As we discussed our standard mesh (nom 18 louvre per lin/in)@ £85/m². The finish is MN204E poly powder coated which is slightly differentto the older organic electro-deposition coating.

If you would rather have raw uncoated fabric we can supplyat £70/m² that can be sprayed or coated to a custom finish. The uncoated stateof our mesh is brass.

Additionally, for the pedantic model maker, we have avery limited quantity of our LSA or 23 louvre mesh. I will personally guaranteethat this mesh is identical to the mesh used by ILM from 1974-75 for TIEFighter, Millennium Falcon, Leia’s Blockade Runner, Death Star etc.. It isblack OED coated exactly as the original @ £215/m².

Delivery prices vary. I will confirm at the time of theorder. All prices are ex-works and exclusive of VAT.

Something Lorne Peterson told me was that the Koolshade wasdual purpose. It scaled nicely for the models but also double as ventilationfor cooling fans. That is really what the six ports on the back of the 6ftFalcon were.

there you have it. I have no problems with picking stuff up for people and posting it out, im not interested in making out of it however similarly i'm not interested in being pilloried if anything went wrong so its entirely your risk. The guy tells me that the roll in the factory here is the only original cool shade left, apart from a small roll in ilm's workshop. by the way vat is + 20% in the uk for those that may not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how long after Star Wars was released that they found out their product had been used in the creation of the TIE fighters (yes I know it was used elsewhere but never so predominantly).

I would be interested in the star wars"kit" offering they have of Koolshade.Can you ask the price to ship to USA.I am fine with the 17 louver.
Thanks
Carl

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back