Koolshade sources

Hey skunky, I get the impression there's not the demand for them to create the tooling to compress it. As far as I know, no one has actually bought any of the vintage koolshade for them as a result of my enquiries.

( posters all framed and up by the way, don't know if you remember the trip to fareham)

g

I saw this thread referenced from a recent post.

I'm curious, are there currently any sources for vintage Koolshade? Enough to make a TIE? Has it all dried up? Can life go on? Do I really want to live in a world without vintage koolshade?

... must... suppress... panic.....

I wish some more would pop up. I was only able to afford enough for one wing from dragnink when it was available and would love to get enough for another wing.

There is one source remaining, pretty much that's it on the planet as far as we know. Very limited amounts available. PM me for details. . .

UPDATE: My source has his remaining sheets sorted and is ready to let them go. I think there may be enough people on the waiting list to get pretty much all of it. But, just in case anyone falls through, this is your LAST CHANCE. PM me for his contact info. :)

This is the correct VINTAGE material called "LSA" for "Low Sun Angle." According to the info I've compiled, the manufacturer made this material at ~17 louvers per inch. Then, a separate machine compressed that material so it had 24-30 louvers per inch. As far as I know, this stuff was available only in two varieties -- standard (~17/in) and LSA (~24/inch).

If what I’m told is true, the machine that compressed it broke down and the LSA variety was no longer manufactured after about 1991. Due to a lack of demand, that machine was never repaired. I don’t know if it even still exists.

My friend has the correct VINTAGE LSA MATERIAL that was used to make TIE fighters, the Millennium Falcon, the Galactica, Sandcrawler, etc. In fact, I have a measurement from an actual screen-used ANH TIE that proves this stuff is a perfect match. :)

Last edited:
4f92ux.jpg

Bringing this old thread back to life. In searching i did not see anything recent on this topic so instead of starting a new thread...

What are the options for today's builder with vintage Koolshade not really an option any more?

- Is there a source for the new version koolshade? (Made by smart louvre)
- Anyone molding or 3d printing with success?

TIA

What would be a realistic asking price for the vintage 23 Louvre material in pristine condition?
I might have found someone willing to let go of enough material to do 1 Tie-fighter,..I am just not too sure what would be a reasonable price for it.
I guess what a fool would offer,...but any indication of a reasonable price would be very welcome .

What would be a realistic asking price for the vintage 23 Louvre material in pristine condition?
I might have found someone willing to let go of enough material to do 1 Tie-fighter,..I am just not too sure what would be a reasonable price for it.
I guess what a fool would offer,...but any indication of a reasonable price would be very welcome .

If memory serves, back when there were still stashes of the stuff being sold, the going rate was $50 per sq. ft. That, however, was like 15 years ago so I'd imagine it would be worth far more today.

Thanks guys!
Yeah ,..I was thinking in more or less the same price range $600 ish,. :oops:,.so i made an offer.
I am afraid I have to pay much more than that for the stuff.
I know the vintage 23 Louvre material is really rare and this could be the only time I can get my hands on it but,..
the fact alone that i am really considering to make another offer is a sign that this hobby is getting out of hand.
It also makes me wonder if it is worth it to put that precious material on a resin Nice n tie-fighter kit,...how accurate is that thing really!!:p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back