BTTF Doc's Futaba Remote & In-car Digital Speedometer Build/Log (NagleIndustries)

NagleIndustries

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This first post will always be updated organically with new information, pointing to other parts of this thread.

Sale / Interest thread here http://www.therpf.com/f75/bttf-docs-futaba-remote-car-digital-speedometer-225729

I am in the process of PCBs for the Futaba remote and the digital speedometer inside of the DeLorean. The two will be able to communicate via a radio link, with the remote able to display the actual speed of the car.

I will be posting about my procurement of parts and pieces to finish out either prop.

Two things I know I will have are the 7-Segment mounting plate and the Molex stop light. Remote_TopView_LAbled_BTTF1_030746.png

More information as it comes to pass. Off to do some more design work!

Last edited:
I've decided to split the circuit design in two parts. The main PCB will go inside the Futaba and do most of the work. A daughter board inside of the Hammond box will handle all of the non-futaba switch connections, molex light, and the 7-seg displays. The boards will connect with a 0.1 inch keyed header cable.

So everyone knows upfront, I am planning on reusing a few parts inside of the remote.
Like the black plastic that the battery pack slides into, and the charging port.

Mmm, my Futaba actually is still functional. I don't want to damage it to transform it into Doc's remote... If time is there, could you post some pics of what parts go where exactly?

I think the only part that I am reusing that is not visible from the outside of the remote is the black piece of plastic.
It supports the rear PCB (with all the switches and trims under the back access panel).

I won't be reusing any of the electronic parts inside.

Gutting the remote lets me make it a lot more interactive

I don't completely understand... So we don't have to gut the remote to use your parts, right?

This is the back of a correct futaba:

img_1.jpg

The black RC module can be removed to make place for some parts, but this would not damage the remote or make it unusable, when you take the "doc's remote parts" back off. I can understand that you need some attaching points on the back housing of the remote and have to drill some small holes in it to attach screws, but also this wouldn't really break the remote (only leaves some small holes in the back-plate). So is this what you are planning to do?

To be clear: I'm interested to transform my remote with the correct parts and some light / maybe sound effects, but don't want to be able to actually trigger something remote with it. So if these kind of functions can be housed in the hammond box.

As for the "battery pack"... I guess you are referencing the black RC module, right? My futabe only has a battery inside that can only be removed by taking the remote apart. I have no removable battery pack at all...

Not at this moment, but a working green labeled futaba like this is worth much more than one that is gutted. This futaba could be used to drive a RC delorean, which would be cool. So I really would like to leave the elextronics intact. It's also cool to be able to flip on the remote and have the display show things... I won't mind temporarely remove the RC unit from the back, since this is meant to be switchable. Then you do have some extra space for a small PCB, I guess...

Excluding wanting use interact with the prop on the Futaba side, two design limitations made me not want to pursue having everything inside the Hammond box.

I don't have to be working on a project to be working on it, and over the last few days I've overcome the problems. So I will also work on a version that will work exclusively from the Hammond box.

This hammond only version won't have radio communication, no futaba functionality/interactivity (obviously), and it will not have a for-now secret feature that the full version will (that I think should turn out to be great but not sure will happen yet so I'm playing it close to the chest.

I might be ordering a preliminary test PCB tomorrow if the day is as free as I hope. The design is close to finalized in my mind, just need to do some component selection and finish the layout in EDA.

I don't have to be working on a project to be working on it, and over the last few days I've overcome the problems. So I will also work on a version that will work exclusively from the Hammond box.
Would be great!

This hammond only version won't have radio communication, no futaba functionality/interactivity (obviously),
Obviously...

and it will not have a for-now secret feature that the full version will (that I think should turn out to be great but not sure will happen yet so I'm playing it close to the chest.
Mmm, hope this won't be a major thing for people that don't want their remote to interact with anything.

Now that I think of it, if the electronics would send out radio signals, I probably won't be able to import it into the EU, anyway. They are kind of paranoia in this. I had a futaba confiscated because of this. The two green ones I have now, both came from the UK (no customs between UK en Belgium).

Now that I think of it, if the electronics would send out radio signals, I probably won't be able to import it into the EU, anyway. They are kind of paranoia in this.

The chipset I'll be using for the digital radio will be selectable band to comply with country-specific legal requirements.

I will be making sure an ordered unit meets the recipient's local laws before I send it out. Not a big deal in the least.

Most of the design is finished and working. I need to finalise my circuit schematic and finish laying out the PCB. Then I will order a test board and build it up. hopefully not too much will need to be changed on it.

Most recently I have spent way too much time recently playing around with capacitive discharge spot welding ( it is how I'm going to make the battery packs). This is part of the project though, and can't be overlooked.

Things are slowing down in parts of my life, so this is now picking back up! Free time should keep increasing over the next ~month.

Small setback, I'm having to change over part of the design to accommodate a new radio. Stock of the old one has become dodgy.

Great news... Just a question to be sure: we will be able to buy a complete kit, right? Including the unibox that is housing the electronics? (Just speaking about the remote here.)

I have a lot to talk about with this project. I will be posting shorter snippets more frequently instead of waiting and trying to write out 5,000 words.
Some videos are also on the way.

First_Stop_Lens.jpg
Here is a look at a stop lens from a few months back.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back