New Toho Godzilla film

I'm still not sold on the design of Goji' but, wow, that trailer certainly sold the movie for me. It looks alright! I just hope it's not anything like Gareth Edwards' debacle, where it's 2 hours and 20 minutes of one-dimensional, generic soldier-man running around and 10 minutes of Godzilla at the end.

i look forward to a new puppet suit godzilla movie!

by the looks of that tail....10 bucks says it shoots a laser or fire blast out of it.

It looks interesting. It looks actually creepy - maybe even scary. That glowing skin just gives me the heebee jeebees. The clearly disproportionate prehensile humanoid arms that look like they came from a cadaver are also unsettling. The face is now devoid of anthropomorphic quality.
I think Toho is trying to really go back to the roots of Gojira before he became camp.

Last edited:
I'm still not sold on the design of Goji' but, wow, that trailer certainly sold the movie for me. It looks alright! I just hope it's not anything like Gareth Edwards' debacle, where it's 2 hours and 20 minutes of one-dimensional, generic soldier-man running around and 10 minutes of Godzilla at the end.

Breathing blue radioactive fire down a monsters throat made up for it though. I felt like I was 7 years old cheering in the theater when that happened! Just seeing that scene where his spikes light up blue in the dust more than made up for it. :)

It looks interesting. It looks actually creepy - maybe even scary. That glowing skin just gives me the heebee jeebees. The clearly disproportionate prehensile humanoid arms that look like they came from a cadaver are also unsettling. The face is now devoid of anthropomorphic quality.
I think Toho is trying to really go back to the roots of Gojira before he became camp.

Yea it's funny how people who don't know Godzilla/Gojira never realize that the first movie was...well depressing Godzilla wasn't some big hero and was raising nine kinds of hell on Japan.

Same with the second one,in THAT one one guy commits suicide at the end trying to stop him,it wasn't until they introduced space aliens that things went south....

Contrast with Gamera where he's always been loved by the kiddies,so this film may (I hope) be going back to the roots.

BTW no one caught the old Toho intro? it looks like the one from the 60's.

81CB81E1-A416-4FCB-9CFD-48A68396D974_zpsogtzskz9.jpg

I'm in.

new design - no thanks

That's a pretty silly thing to be basing your decisions to see it or not on given just how many times they've changed the look of Godzilla over the years. It's not like Godzilla's always looked one way since its inception and all of a sudden they're now changing the design. And as different as this incarnation looks, it's still a whole lot better than that overgrown iguana that we got in the Matthew Broderick version.

I wonder if Godzilla spawns from his tail tip? Tip starts to form a new G and falls off. Tip grows into a new baby G....

Remember. This isn't supposed to be the campy Godzilla most of us grew up with. The first movie was an actual horror movie. Evidently Toho wants to get back to horror and I can see it all over this design. I was so used to a face with big eyes that can convey even a little emotion. This is not that monster. This one is just all badness and that's what it's supposed to be. It's even more creepy than it is "cool", if that makes sense. I get where they're going with this. This is not a nostalgia trip. This is trying to make giant monsters actually scary again. I'm kinda digging it.

That's a pretty silly thing to be basing your decisions to see it or not on given just how many times they've changed the look of Godzilla over the years. It's not like Godzilla's always looked one way since its inception and all of a sudden they're now changing the design. And as different as this incarnation looks, it's still a whole lot better than that overgrown iguana that we got in the Matthew Broderick version.

Agreed. Please though, lets not talk about the Matthew Broderick version... its still too soon.

Breathing blue radioactive fire down a monsters throat made up for it though. I felt like I was 7 years old cheering in the theater when that happened! Just seeing that scene where his spikes light up blue in the dust more than made up for it. :)

I agree that seeing Godzilla do Godzilla patented monstering is fun and all but I feel as I get older, the more important time becomes to me, and that movie was way longer than it needed to be and, worst of all, was mostly boring. That film was like going to the DMV for me: I went there to get something and wound up sitting, looking at a nothing, for two and a half hours for something that took less than ten minutes to make happen.

Money, one can lose and make back, but time, you can never get back.

Hey, God(zilla) bless ya if you and others found the film enjoyable, but I'd never thought I'd see the day when I went to see a film called Godzilla and the guy's barely in it.

It's a lot of classic original G but also this is the strangest incarnation yet.

When you first see him at the start of the trailer,when he's roaring,it's a lot like the 50's films,the beady little eyes also remind me of the first movies and yes this is one creepy,living horror version of Godzilla yet it looks like the original in some ways.

I agree that seeing Godzilla do Godzilla patented monstering is fun and all but I feel as I get older, the more important time becomes to me, and that movie was way longer than it needed to be and, worst of all, was mostly boring. That film was like going to the DMV for me: I went there to get something and wound up sitting, looking at a nothing, for two and a half hours for something that took less than ten minutes to make happen.

Money, one can lose and make back, but time, you can never get back.

Hey, God(zilla) bless ya if you and others found the film enjoyable, but I'd never thought I'd see the day when I went to see a film called Godzilla and the guy's barely in it.

I noticed a few other people regarding how big of an issue their time is. I mean, I get it a little bit, I suppose if you have kids, and you have to hire a sitter, but man. The way some people talk about their precious time its like, dude, youre sitting in a theater for a couple hours. Is it really that big a deal? This of course is coming from a single guy with no kids :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back