DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

I altered this a bit - let me know if it rings any bells immediately :) (going for the state dependent memory trick here) the plate is a little less than 3 mm the silvery section underneath the bracket is 2mm

and thank you!!! The spacer is two sections of pipe JB welded together. The silvery part is actually rather thin walled so I built it up with JB weld too

This looks like a good job, my only advice would be to try and match it to the single available high quality photo from the exhibition to get it just right, even if it contradicts the measurements I gave.

BTW, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cWj6q_bZ8

should give you an idea of some of the weird stuff in this exhibition. 10% real props, 40% very badly made fake props, 50% fan art (including a twi-lek nude painting)

Also pause on the macrobinoculars, might be useful?

The exhibition featured in the press a lot, but I have been too lazy to search the Japanese internet much more yet (where the good press pics came from)

google/twitter/youtube
スター・ウォーズ展
スターウォーズ展

and
スターウォーズビジョン

to see if you can dig anything else up! (all of those say star wars visions)

This looks like a good job, my only advice would be to try and match it to the single available high quality photo from the exhibition to get it just right, even if it contradicts the measurements I gave.

BTW, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cWj6q_bZ8

should give you an idea of some of the weird stuff in this exhibition. 10% real props, 40% very badly made fake props, 50% fan art (including a twi-lek nude painting)

Also pause on the macrobinoculars, might be useful?

The exhibition featured in the press a lot, but I have been too lazy to search the Japanese internet much more yet (where the good press pics came from)

google/twitter/youtube
スター・ウォーズ展
スターウォーズ展

and
スターウォーズビジョン

to see if you can dig anything else up! (all of those say star wars visions)
Thanks man
Also forgot the Barbican Vader saber is there. cool cause it has MPP parts, weird because it isnt seen in any movie :lol

Trying to replicate all 3 sets of pics, a little flat black paint pen, a washer that fit between all three screws to mask the paint....some sandpaper, toothpicks and JB weld to make the grey goop....plan on adding epoxy to make the yellowish crap!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 140
Trying to replicate all 3 sets of pics, a little flat black paint pen, a washer that fit between all three screws to mask the paint....some sandpaper, toothpicks and JB weld to make the grey goop....plan on adding epoxy to make the yellowish crap!

It's looking good. The spacer may be just a bit thinner than that, it does look really high - but that's what I thought when I saw it for real anyway. You can recreate the exhibition pic by standing back and zooming in to remove camera distortion and really get forensic with the positioning to see if the spacer size does need adjusting.

The screwheads you've used look a little bit different, like the sides of them are flat - in the pic it looks a bit more domed (like a ball of dough - not sure of this screw head's name) - also maybe slightly smaller in head diameter, what do you think? It is about making the paint excluded circle be the same diameter as the reference.

There was flat grey adhesive/putty etc flush with the surface and the yellow staining literally looked like dried up ketchup stains.

At this point if whatever you end up with matches the image perfectly (measurements wise) it is better to use your discovered measurements than my eyeball measurements from the time.

It's looking good. The spacer may be just a bit thinner than that, it does look really high - but that's what I thought when I saw it for real anyway. You can recreate the exhibition pic by standing back and zooming in to remove camera distortion and really get forensic with the positioning to see if the spacer size does need adjusting.

The screwheads you've used look a little bit different, like the sides of them are flat - in the pic it looks a bit more domed (like a ball of dough - not sure of this screw head's name) - also maybe slightly smaller in head diameter, what do you think? It is about making the paint excluded circle be the same diameter as the reference.

There was flat grey adhesive/putty etc flush with the surface and the yellow staining literally looked like dried up ketchup stains.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8759/28434118786_ffa59fd590_b.jpg

At this point if whatever you end up with matches the image perfectly (measurements wise) it is better to use your discovered measurements than my eyeball measurements from the time.
I love this.

I'm going to try and back up and zoom in to get a more accurate picture, no idea why i hadn't thought of that lol

and you're absolutely right about the screws, there were screws like that used on a lot of electronic equipment back then (ampliiers, calculators to name a few) and I have yet to find some lol

I applied JB weld to the center of the circle which dries to that grey lego color - and I'm going to find some poor epoxy that dries yellow/brown and dab that on too, thanks!

I hate to bring this up again but looking at this picture the disk does not look thick

It looks more like a thin disk spaced away from the bracket more.

I don't see a solid side edge in the areas indicated with dots

Attachments

• 28434118786_ffa59fd590_b.jpg
    28434118786_ffa59fd590_b.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I hate to bring this up again but looking at this picture the disk does not look thick

It looks more like a thin disk spaced away from the bracket more.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/Hoth 015c_zps9071elrm.jpg

I don't see a solid side edge in the areas indicated with dots

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Star Wars/ESBBB/Hoth 015a_zpszyw4to02.jpg

It's okay,

Other than what Mortifactor said, here's what I'm seeing.

In both these pictures there's a faint line that looks like the continuation of the plate/disc edge. The first one is where that pale curvy part on the bracket gets cut off, approaching the disc...it especially also has a shadow of the thicker disc laying on the bracket. The second photo has a faint grey line, parallel with the upper edge of the disc trailing away on the right.
Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 10.26.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-14 at 10.25.58 PM.png

granted this is blurry as hell - but we're at a loss for physical info. Many times the props we make have verbal confirmation, and for now this may be one of those times.

Also, the closest edge of the disc is lacking paint, making me doubly sure the edges are an optical illusion, based on it all being sprayed with black paint.

Edit: also, since I'm working on a custom bit based on these photos, it's apparent to me you really nailed these parts :lol like the bracket was my basis for making my custom disc from scratch, because of how accurate it is

The NOT Thorens disc piece of metal is almost exactly the same thickness as the bracket. I can't put calipers on the real metal in person of course, but what I have in reference (very clear HUGE images, up close) shows them to be nearly identical. 1/8th" stock.

The stock I used was 3.2 mm Aluminum, but I got it from the recycle bin of a local metal shop, so it is basically 1/8" stock. The bracket from the ESB run is literally 3.07 mm from my last reading, and the more I stare at what I have, and the Japan pictures, the more I like it. The rounded bottom edge of our brackets is the only difference I see.

(Thanks Scott)

A little something to keep this thread active. While waiting for the Boba Debt / Think Jedi scopes I painted up a adamata scope casting, including installed brass screws in front.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 129

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back