DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Boba Debt

Master Member
This thread is for discussing the parts of the DL-44 ESB Blasters

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS COST OR ASK ABOUT BUYING ITEMS IN THIS THREAD.

If you want information about the ESB Blaster Active Project go to this thread: http://www.therpf.com/f75/dl-44-esb-blaster-active-project-230130/

I would like to keep this thread focused and would ask that all participants stay on topic and only discuss the current part.

Once everyone involved in the Active Project is happy with a part I will put a summery of that discussion in the 2nd post of this thread.

The current parts being discussed are the GREEBLIS and the discussion starts at post 208

Last edited:
Re: DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

THEAD SYNOPSIS

__________________________________________________________________________________

FLASH HIDER

Post 3 to Post 111

Both Flash Hiders feature a similar design. Internally they have a "barrel through" design that seems to be specific to the ESB Blasters. They also feature a counter bore at the back, perhaps to replicate the look of the ANH Flash Hiders

BESPIN FLASH HIDER

Judging by the lack of discussion it would seem that most people think my current version of the Bespin Flash Hider is accurate.

HOTH FLASH HIDER

Opinions on the Hoth Flash Hider are still varied and solid photographic information has yet to surface but this is what we came up with.

The over all shape of the Hoth version is similar to the Bespin version but there are there are disagreements about the material and knurling.

MATERIAL:
  • Delrin - Some believe the Hoth Flash Hider was machined from black Delrin
  • Resin - Others think is was cast in resin, possibly black resin
  • Metal - Most do not think it was machined from metal but like the idea of using metal because it add richness to the part

KNURLING:
  • The conventional wisdom is that there are 2 bands of knurling, one thin and one thick
  • Some think it is possible that there is a single band of knurling that was either cast poorly of sanded away giving the impression of 2 bands
  • Others thin the flash hider wasn't knurled, instead the knurling was painted on.

I personal think the best way to achieve the look of the Hoth Flash Hider is to machine it in aluminum with 2 bands. The weathering effect could be achieved by anodizing it black followed by a coat of matte silver.

__________________________________________________________________________________

SCOPE BRACKETS
Post 118 to Post 173

The Bespin and Hoth Flash Hiders are very different from each other

Both bracket seem to be made from off the shelf .125 aluminum angle

The Bespin version is taller and slimmer with small radiused corners and the Hoth version is shorter and wider with square external corners and larger radiused inside corners

Bespin Bracket

Hoth Bracket

Last edited:

THE FLASH HIDER

As far as I know there are 2 main flash hiders used on the ESB Blasters

I will refer to them as the HAN STUNT (Hoth) and LUKE HERO (Bespin) versions

My Flash Hiders feature the barrel through design and the back counter bore

Here is a simplified drawing of each:

In my opinion my shop is the only one that has correctly produced the knurling bands on the main body of the flash hider.

Most shops make a single knurled section and then cut material away to create the bands which results in a very pronounced knurl and body bands that have a smaller outside diameter, both of which are not accurate

My shop makes each band with a single light plunge which creates the light knurl pattern lie the props blasters.

I think the only detail I have missed in the past is the small step on the front edge on the main body of the Hoth version but I am open to ALL new discoveries and perspectives so PLEASE discuss :)

Last edited:

Hey Boba :) Is the idea to replicate both types of blaster for the project ? Or will it eventually come down to one or the other ? (leaning Hoth right now )

Really looking forward to this :)

Thanks

Hey Boba :) Is the idea to replicate both types of blaster for the project ? Or will it eventually come down to one or the other ? (leaning Hoth right now )

Really looking forward to this :)

Thanks

I should be able to offer both at the same time.

Subscribed here as well!!
Can't wait to see the whole discussion!
I'll bet it'll be as epic as the ROTJ DL-44!!(y)D

Regards,

Alberto

I think there are at least 3 versions of the ESB DL-44.

#1 - Han Hero
• Live-fire Mauser
• Metal flash hider,
• 1941-version M-19 telescope
• Unknown Left-Side Details
• Strange knurled thumbscrew on the scope mount
Han_ESB_Hero.jpg

#2 - Han Stunt:
• MGC Mauser,
• Resin(?) flash hider with drawn-on knurling
• 1942-version M-19 telescope
• V8 Details on Left side
Han_ESB_Stunt.jpg

#3 - Luke Hero:
• Live-fire Mauser
• Metal flash hider,
• 1942-version M-19 telescope
• Something above the trigger on the left side...
• Strange knurled thumbscrew on the scope mount
Luke_ESB_Hero.jpg

I think this pic shows both hero versions of the ESB DL-44's:
image.jpg

Since most people will not be trying to build a Live Fire version I think it would best to keep this discussion on the Han Stunt and Luke Hero versions.

I'm going to edit my 3rd post to reflect those names.

Don't forget that reference I showed you on the Bespin Knobs. ^_^

Since most people will not be trying to build a Live Fire version I think it would best to keep this discussion on the Han Stunt and Luke Hero versions.

I'm going to edit my 3rd post to reflect those names.

The Luke Hero was also a Live fire...

And I at least will be building a live fire Luke. ^_^

ok so here's what I got and backing up REELFAKES post.

Starting with Hoth Han (Stunt). Image is Really big so open in new tab/window:

The left side greeblies look like Of course the reveal V8 pistons... a "motor coil" part from the kit, and two unknown parts above the trigger. Now those round things looks like rivets or screws covered in paint or something... masking the clarity.

This was the only MGC and non-live fire Mauser used as far as we know... other than the resin stunts that may have been in holsters of course.
hanHoth1-2.jpg

hanHoth1-3.jpg

Now I'll focus on Luke's live fire mauser
img002.jpg

img003.jpg

luke%20close.jpg

empire-contre-attaque-80-27-g.jpg

Here you can see the thickness and placement of the spacer, and the thickness of the mount.
lukeBlasterfront.jpg

Here we see the left side, which looks to have something over the trigger, but that's it.
luke1.jpg

TO ME, I don't see the motor coil greeblie we've come to think is on there. The shadows show clearly the possibly distributor piece of the trigger, and that the Mauser looks to be a PRE-WAR version with the hole in the safety. But no evidence of the motor coil part.
luke2.jpg

I would guess both Luke and Han's live fire props didn't have much or anything aside from what we see on the left side, because both props were drawn and fired on film. Those pieces would have broken off almost instantly.

Han's knob on the mount seems to be nearly the same as Lukes, and the mount while only slightly different is generally the same shape. There are slight differences of course.

The mount on the MGC/Stunt/Hoth version is NOT the same as the two live fires. It is shorter and doesn't extend as far down the Mauser's magazine. Also note the difference in scope height between the Hoth and Bespin live fires. The Live Fires mount the scope lower compared the the top profile.

one more:

Here you can clearly see the hole on the safety, but the above trigger greeblie still is not 100% verifiable.
leftclose.jpg

I think it's just the V8 part #84 distributor retainer above Luke's trigger.
v8_part84.gif

Scott, thanks for posting all those reference photos!

is it just me or the flash hider from the Stunt look like its shorter?

Just want to clear this up.. I thought I read somewhere that there were differences between the flash hiders in the Luke and Han Bespin versions, but now I can't really spot any other than the weathering. Is that true?

Definately no differences between the bespin blasters design.

David:
Already emailed you about this...while I think your Bespin muzzle design is a good as it can get and doesn´t need any significant changes, the Hoth muzzle is still inaccurate IMHO. There is an extra "step" behind the cylindrical section before the taper for the front-section starts, which isn´t present on your recent design.

As far as focussing on the Luke bespin only...besides of the detailing and weathering, the scope mount itself varies between the Luke and the Han bespin DL44. While the overall dimensions are near identical, the area where the scope mount angles back shows different radii.

Markus

Definately no differences between the bespin blasters design.

David:
Already emailed you about this...while I think your Bespin muzzle design is a good as it can get and doesn´t need any significant changes, the Hoth muzzle is still inaccurate IMHO. There is an extra "step" behind the cylindrical section before the taper for the front-section starts, which isn´t present on your recent design.

As far as focussing on the Luke bespin only...besides of the detailing and weathering, the scope mount itself varies between the Luke and the Han bespin DL44. While the overall dimensions are near identical, the area where the scope mount angles back shows different radii.

Markus

Agreed... I said that too, but it was more general with no explanation. Markus is right though, the Han and Luke Mounts are slightly different although similar. The other reference photos I saw up close, showed it very clearly. Unfortunately I don't have those personally as they were shown to me by a license holder.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's just the V8 part #84 distributor retainer above Luke's trigger.
http://www.partsofsw.com/images/v8_part84.gif

Scott, thanks for posting all those reference photos!

Agreed... that's what I think it is too, but none of these pics are clear enough to saw 100% based on them. I'm still searching for better reference. If only LFL would let me in!

Also guys look at this pic (open new tab/window)... the above trigger greeblies... there are letters on those pieces.

hanHoth1-3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

is it just me or the flash hider from the Stunt look like its shorter?

Yup... looks smaller to me for sure.

Thanks for all this reference guys! It's my favorite blaster and on my bucket list of projects.

The mount for the M19 is a LOT thinner than I ever thought. Just to be clear, that's a custom cut piece, right? There's no real (historical) scope mount that looks like that?

Edit: I also agree there are letters or numbers on those greeblies but I can't..for the life of me...decrypt them

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back