DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Found this last week. Hoth Blaster.jpgHoth Blaster.jpg

That's a really cool painting!

Somebody should model that blaster, it looks like it's begging to be printed in PLAstic!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

thats pretty sick, its like the hoth trooper AR-7 mixed with the Broomhandle Mauser

that being said, I DID find some audio knobs that look like top hats with a very thin rim, almost like we all pictured this hoth disc would be.

My only problem is the paint around the screws, if the knob were capped over them they would also be bare, with glue and stuff.

Nice work on that Denix! Love what you did with the trigger.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I don't know anything more than anyone else here, I am looking at the same photos as everyone else. This thread, and the fact that I picked up a MGC recently which I am leaning towards converting into a Hoth, got me looking at the pictures again.

I originally thought I saw some glints from the screws, but I am rethinking that. Why? Because I don't see the reasoning behind leaving a plate with screws exposed like that. It's pretty sloppy, in my opinion. I now believe that a knob from a turn table or some such thing was used, and it covered the whole plate. I think the glue circle came from the center post of a knob like this one (I am not saying they used this exact one!):

View attachment 840480

I think they installed the disk, painted it with the screws, and installed the knob. You can see a spot of black within the glue circle. Maybe when the knob fell off it pulled up that bit of glue, exposing the back paint. The other thing though, is when I look at the photo of Luke holding that blaster in the snow, I kind of see a lower step like you would see it they used a knob similar to this one:

View attachment 840481

I really like what Chubs did, I am going to follow his lead with one of these knobs. At least until a better photo comes along. It would be an easy fix right? :)
As the prop department used Volvo parts for the Han in Carbonite panels, do you reckon there could be a chance they may have nabbed the car stereo dials for the scope mount disc covering?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Credit to Entropy for this picture that was shared in another thread.

I'm not sure which blaster this is - looks to be an ESB/ROTJ hybrid (someone care to educate me?) but could this give us an insight into the 'mystery knob'?

IMG_0855 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit to @Entropy for this picture that was shared in another thread.

I'm not sure which blaster this is - looks to be an ESB/ROTJ hybrid (someone care to educate me?) but could this give us an insight into the 'mystery knob'?

View attachment 846373

This is a cast of the ANH hero body and an M19 scope. the S bracket was created to reach the mounting posts and the little feet of the scope. Used popularly in the swamp and in Luke's pocket on Bespin. Not on Hoth unfortunately... Hoth and Bespin hero blasters used a full regular Mauser shaped body.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and on the Muppet show

This is a cast of the ANH hero body and an M19 scope. the S bracket was created to reach the mounting posts and the little feet of the scope. Used popularly in the swamp and in Luke's pocket on Bespin. Not on Hoth unfortunately... Hoth and Bespin hero blasters used a full regular Mauser shaped body.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and on the Muppet show
Cheers, it was worth a shot!

Cheers, it was worth a shot!
ALways!

I wonder if they cut slots in a dial/knob and we're only seeing 2/3 of the screw head.

I can't get over the fact that there is paint on the disc in the width of the screw heads, but those set pictures don't look like a top hat! How did the paint get there

I'm beginning to think the plate and central knob that fell off were a later addition to the blaster. They painted the grips at some point, whats the chance they replaced the knob?

Or they could have made a couple blasters, one with a handle painted black and one with the wood/brown handle. Has anyone tried to screen match a black handle to the brown?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back