DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Re: DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

Ok, so we have 2 issues with the Hoth Flash Hider that we need to "vote" on

If you are interested in this part please reply to the following:

1.Does it have the "step" on the front edge of the main body?

2. Are there 2 bands of knurling (one wide and one thin) or is there just one wide band?

I personally do not think there was a step. I think it looks like it's there in at some angles but that it is just an illusion

I think there was a single wide band of knurling and the gap was created by the weathering process

Last edited:

NO step, NO bands for me please.

thanks for the investigative work!

Will you use Guabes latest drawing for the run?

Markus

Last edited:

Yes, I'm totally onboard with the Hoth version.

1. I think the step is just an illusion on the photo.

2. I don't know what I am on because I see three bands on every photo of the hoth blaster, both on the prop photo and the photo of Harrison holding the prop in Finse. It's tough to see, but I definitely see some gaps between the the individual 'hash marks' on that thicker segment. Look closely. Put your cheaters on like I did. Maybe I should get my prescriptions checked. I think the prop maker just did a rush job on the flash hider.

Hey Dave,

I personally don't think it has the step and I agree with You being an optical illusion due to combination of lens distortion and view angle.

Second one is a bit of harder to guess, logic would say that for a knurling a continous bend would be wiser thing (machining wise I don't see a real reason to make two bands of knurling) and then sanding/weathering made the center band flat and the rest of the knurling uneven, but here it's mere speculation so either of the two would be ok for me.
Personally if I could choose, I would mimic what really appears, so an uneven central flat band that would match the reference images.

My two cents!

Regards,

Alberto

Not sure which flash hider I'm going with.. but if it's hoth, I vote one wide band of knurling and no step...

Resin cast painted silver. No knurling. Lines drawn on with a pencil. Clear plastic tape put on the flash hider to protect the pencil lines - and the edge of the tape is what some see as a step. :p

Here I was thinking maybe they used an exacto knife to carve into the resin, but I think this is the far more likely explanation.

Although I think I'm leaning toward a Luke, I'll weigh in on the flash hider. I would say no step and one band if it were easy to weather down, two if not.

My thoughts are:

1. No step. A lot of pictures seem to show one but I think it is an illusion.

2. One band of knurling. If you blow it up a little, the last picture on post 43 clearly shows at least some of the ribs running the full length of the knurled section. Either the casting wasn't very detailed in the area creating what appears to be two separate bands of knurling as mentioned above or the flash hider was weathered (intentionally or unintentionally) by a rough scraping/sanding/grinding giving it the appearance of two bands separated by a smooth section.

unnamed-2.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-3.jpg

Hey everybody, I ran these three photos of the hoth blaster through some levels on photoshop, and I think its pretty obvious, that while the execution of making this flash hider is a bit crude and the knurling is likely drawn by hand, I think the intent of the prop-maker was to depict three bands of knurling. I've drawn in red a couple arrows pointing to roughly where the gaps are intended to be between the bands.

Also, purely my two cents, but I think 'Probot killer' or 'probe droid killer' is a slightly catch-ier term than 'hoth blaster' for this prop.

Resin cast painted silver. No knurling. Lines drawn on with a pencil. Clear plastic tape put on the flash hider to protect the pencil lines - and the edge of the tape is what some see as a step. :p

Ditto!

I'm not a big fan of the Hoth flash hider, I prefer the Bespin version. I might be interested in a resin casting of the Hoth, but not at the price of metal.

I had a thought... We have seen other pics of blasters with snow embedded in parts. Is there any chance there could be snow, sloppily wiped off, embedded in the knurling of a crappily cast stunt flash hider? Edit: Nevermind, I just realized some of the reference is taken off set, the snow would have melted.

Last edited:

Would it be possible to offer this flash hider in two models for this project, one band and two band?

I'm leaning towards hoth, since my mr luke sort of fills my bespin desires for now. May buy the parts for bespin too though. But since Hoth is my priority, here is my vote
1 - no step
2 - I'm leaning towards 1 wide band

My opinion on that is pretty in the wind. I'd love to be able to weather it and get it to look good.. But it ends up looking like two bands with weathering.. So if it's gonna be hard for me to weather without tools, I could be swayed to the two band group so that I could achieve the look easier.. Kinda depends on how hard it is to weather for me I guess.. I'll go with wide for now though. To me, it does look like one band weathered away to look like two..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back