DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Re: DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

I don't think the step that you have on the middle chamfer should be there... I believe it's more of a filet like the other FH's... but since the images are overexposed it dissapears...

example:
hanhoth01.jpg

it looks like a step on the top but it's just too much light to see it.

There may be some clues regarding the shape in the shadow here.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418222960770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418222960770.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 269

here are more images, and again i believe there is no step... just a very small or shallow filet.

ESB6Han.JPG

ESB7Han.JPG

HanBlasterHoth.jpg

Yeah I'm not really seeing a step either. I can see how it can look like there's one, at certain angles.

One more thing... I do believe there are grooves and not painted lines, but it was a very shallow cast and a very wornout mold... as if the ribs from the mold that make the grooves were sanded instead of the hider itself after casting it...to make that center band and somwhat screwed it... LOL... am I making any sense?

One more thing... I do believe there are grooves and not painted lines, but it was a very shallow cast and a very wornout mold... as if the ribs from the mold that make the grooves were sanded instead of the hider itself after casting it...to make that center band and somwhat screwed it... LOL... am I making any sense?

I was about to post something along those lines. If the model was made with negative knurling, you could easily blacken with paint or aluminum black. If you added enough paint to the grooves, you could make the surface smooth.

I also have a hard time believing someone drew lines on the muzzle. Don't get me wrong, I believe they are there but I was wondering if the part is a yet discovered found item and that whatever it was, it was connected to something that cause gouges into the surface.

but it was a very shallow cast and a very wornout mold... as if the ribs from the mold that make the grooves were sanded instead of the hider itself after casting it

I feel like this might explain the different lengths of the wearing on the grooves as well. It seems like itd be easier for that to happen in the mold than on the part itself

In each one of those pics, I see the step. I don't think a warn out mold theory makes much sense, since this blaster was a one off. Also, I'd considered the possibility that the knurreling looks painted on due to paint roughly applied to a machined knurl. But when I compare David's previous muzzel, where this is the case, to Markus' painted on knurreling on his blaster, Markus' looks pretty dead on to me.

attachment.php

I am having a very hard time seeing what you see in both cases... I just changed the gama and contrast on this one...

Nostep.jpg

Look at how it curves going from the cylender to the chamfer on the upper corner... And I can see grooves on the barrel.

I'm sorry to be absent from this discussion but I'm pulling a lot of OT at work.

However, I am happy with the current debate and I think some valid points are being made.

I personally think the Hoth flash hider was black cast resin and I think the erratic knurling can be attributed to the fact that the master's shallow knurling did not translate well to the mold.

Then you add in a light sanding to clean it up and a coat of silver paint with additional weathering and you get a pretty worn out knurled section.

I think the image that guabe tweaked confirms that the band f knurling was full width and the gap was just a product of the weathering process.

Sorry to be late to the discussion , busy at work too !

I personally would prefer an Idealized version of the blaster.. rather than a worn, rough looking version which has the feel of being made in a rush by the prop maker under pressure of time or budget. (I'm suffering very similar conditions in work right now ! ;)

I'd much prefer what would look real in the universe and in the hand rather than film accuracy.

I like Guabe's sharp design and would opt for aluminium myself. I prefer to do my own weathering, sanding and softening edges etc to taste.

I hope this doesn't get me branded as a heretic ! :)

3oin

Edit: I'm all about accuracy but to the "real" thing.. a "real" blaster.

Last edited:

I personally would prefer an Idealized version of the blaster.. rather than a worn, rough looking version which has the feel of being made in a rush by the prop maker under pressure of time or budget. (I'm suffering very similar conditions in work right now ! ;)

I'd much prefer what would look real in the universe and in the hand rather than film accuracy.

I like Guabe's sharp design and would opt for aluminium myself. I prefer to do my own weathering, sanding and softening edges etc to taste.

3oin

I would like to echo these comments. I would prefer an "idealized" aluminum flash hider that I can weather myself.

Last edited:

3oin

75578d1403956762-ok-beat-me-up-hflwduig.jpg

:)

There's a special place for you idealized people. ^_^ We still love you though.

Here is what i think it should look like..."idealy" :p

nostep02.jpg

Last edited:

I think that looks really good. I'm just not sure about the band that you have where the two angled parts of the front of the flash hider comes together. I went back through the pictures posted here, and while I think I do see it in some pictures, I do not in others. Could it be that the part was welded in that section? Sort of like the Greedo Killer?

oh... that is just lines where the filet between chamfers starts and ends... its just a guide line that makes it easy for me to look at features... here is a render without the lines...

nostep03.jpg

I don't mean to complicate things but this stunt blaster is a bit different from the ones discussed. It this is supposed to be a cast from a hero model then maybe we can get some detail from it.

42200-stunt_esb.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back