DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Re: DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion

Thanks for all this reference guys! It's my favorite blaster and on my bucket list of projects.

The mount for the M19 is a LOT thinner than I ever thought. Just to be clear, that's a custom cut piece, right? There's no real (historical) scope mount that looks like that?

Edit: I also agree there are letters or numbers on those greeblies but I can't..for the life of me...decrypt them

I think both pieces are just the Motor Coil greeblie cut in to two pieces... the bottom one says COL and the Top says OTO

motorcoil.jpg

Last edited:

I do not want to dissuade discussion of other parts but for now we need to focus on the Flash Hiders.

If everyone starts discussing the various parts the thread will get very hard to follow.

Will post a rough drawing I did as an overlay of the Hoth muzzle asap

Markus

I do not want to dissuade discussion of other parts but for now we need to focus on the Flash Hiders.

If everyone starts discussing the various parts the thread will get very hard to follow.

Okie doke, my apologies. Maybe you should change the initial title of this thread to include the specific vein you'd like to follow.

Dude, guabe. You are absolutely genius! That's totally got to be what those parts above the trigger are!!

Exciting new discovery!!

Back to the flash hiders...

I'm trying to see what you are seeing, are you talking about at the end of the knurling right before the muzzle starts to slope down?

Already emailed you about this...while I think your Bespin muzzle design is a good as it can get and doesn´t need any significant changes, the Hoth muzzle is still inaccurate IMHO. There is an extra "step" behind the cylindrical section before the taper for the front-section starts, which isn´t present on your recent design.

Here´s what I am talking about. this "step" is missing on the current drawings.
In addition to that I would like to add two other aspects to the discussion...
a) material of the Hoth muzzle (I´d like to see it done in black Delrin, not aluminum)
b) knurling on the Hoth muzzle, which is obviously hard to replicate but maybe we can think of a better way than simply adding just the "clean", fine knurling as in your drawing.

Markus

a) material of the Hoth muzzle (I´d like to see it done in black Delrin, not aluminum)
How do you know the original was made in Delrin and not resin?
Delrin is somewhat slippery and I don't think it takes paint well.

BTW, for those who didn't know: Delrin is a brand name for POM, also called "acetal" plastic.

Last edited:

I am open for whatever we come up with as accurate.
p.s.: never had any problems with paint adhering to machined delrin parts and even IF the paint would chip....it'd be somewhat accurate

Markus

Here´s what I am talking about. this "step" is missing on the current drawings.
In addition to that I would like to add two other aspects to the discussion...
b) knurling on the Hoth muzzle, which is obviously hard to replicate but maybe we can think of a better way than simply adding just the "clean", fine knurling as in your drawing.

Markus

When you PMed me a while ago I thought the Hoth flash hider had the step but now I'm not seeing it in the posted images. Do you have an image that shows the step better?

a) I might be able to offer the Hoth muzzle in either material but I think you will be the only person that wants on in black Delrin.

b) There is no way to machine the look of the weathered knurling but the knurling is so light it would be possible to hand sand it to get that look, BUT it would take skill to match the images.

I'm also starting to wonder if there is just a single wide band of knurling on the Hoth that was sanded away to make it look like had a space between the 2 sections.

He wouldn't be the only one looking for black derlin! ;)

When you PMed me a while ago I thought the Hoth flash hider had the step but now I'm not seeing it in the posted images. Do you have an image that shows the step better?

a) I might be able to offer the Hoth muzzle in either material but I think you will be the only person that wants on in black Delrin.

b) There is no way to machine the look of the weathered knurling but the knurling is so light it would be possible to hand sand it to get that look, BUT it would take skill to match the images.

I'm also starting to wonder if there is just a single wide band of knurling on the Hoth that was sanded away to make it look like had a space between the 2 sections.

I like the idea of a sand/media blasted aluminum flash hider, and one row of knurling.

Just curious; besides price and weight, what is the benefit of using Derlin for the muzzle? Specially since the two guys who are asking for it are very anal about their blaster. (That sort of sounds painful). :eek

Han_ESB_Stunt My Muzzel Model.jpg

I made a 3d model of this muzzle. Here is a comparison of my muzzle with the available shots.

Let me know what you think?

Dan

That looks pretty galdern close to me!

Maybe bring the back end of the knurled section forward just a touch, and make the back ring a hair thicker.

I'm not seeing the flat section where the cones meet, but it might be there...

I'm in the camp of saying that the knurls on the Han ESB blaster were painted on. However, this would be difficult for most people to do when finishing there blasters. So, what I'd recommend is making the muzzles without any knurling and then supplying waterside decals of the drawn on knurling to finish the build.
my .02

Dan

Maybe bring the back end of the knurled section forward just a touch, and make the back ring a hair thicker.

On an earlier version, the knurled section was a little shorter, but then I realized that the drawn on knurling doesn't reach all the way back to the end of that section, so that's why it might look a little long here

View attachment 413841

I made a 3d model of this muzzle. Here is a comparison of my muzzle with the available shots.

Let me know what you think?

Dan

Hey Dan

I received a Hoth muzzle from you a few years ago and the proportions seemed slightly off. The new 3D model is much better, but I´d still shorten the length of the taper right behind the cylindrical section...it´s a tad too long IMHO

I am a firm believer of the drewn knurling myself.
Check the few available refrence pictures and pay attention to the light reflecting from the KNURLS, which would be possible if these are recessed/ raised areas. I tried the painted on knurling effect on my latest HOTH Dl44 WIP and even if not accurate, it´s much closer than anything else I´ve seen so far

View attachment 387022

Markus

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back