Jessica Jones (Netflix Series)

I'm 4 episodes in and I'm enjoying it, it's a bit better than S1, in my opinion. One thing I noticed though, it seems (to me) the actress playing "Patsy" is struggling a bit with her accent, last season I never noticed any slips or hints of her native Australian(?) accent, but this season I seem to detect just a hint of Aussie in her Ameican, but maybe it's just me.

Anyway, judging by the trailer and the rumors that were around before S2 aired, I'm guessing that Killgrave, aka The Purple Man, will return by the end of the season. I actually think that it's him that's clapping at the end of the trailer. Why? Because of the purple lighting in that scene.

Now we're in the run-up to Infinity War, Inhumans, Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are out, and they keep taunting me from my Netflix list, I've been finally binging these, in the correcot order and such (Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones S1, next up Daredevil S2...). So I finally have some commentary. Kristen does a lottle bit too good a job of portraying a broken human being. About my only real gripe is how things got dragged out via Idiot Plot™. I'd rather the main character, at least, did everything right and still got thwarted than repeatedly shout at the TV things like "check his pulse, you twit!" or "if you'd just gagged him when you had the chance...!" or things like that. She's very competent so much of the time that her lapses land worse than they normally would. I can understand being caught off-guard, or having her traumatic associations make her hesitate. I'm not talking about believable and organic things like that.

Overall, though, I really liked it. I'm sad in that list ranking the top 40 recent villains, Tennant's Killgrave only got #40. I keep hoping Patsy -- sorry, Trish -- will take up at least part-time hero-ing with Jessica and get the sobriquet Hellcat. Take it that last little bit. :) Maybe after a run-in with IGH, herself. I'm liking the building of the MNU (Marvel Netflix Universe), and do really hope this and the MCU dovetail at some point. As much as I like these folks focusing on their city/neighborhood/family legacy, and not being all global/cosmic the way the Avengers are, I want them to have some interaction. I keep wondering if IGH is some sort of outgrowth of what Killian was doing with Extremis. I like that, on the meds, Simpson is closer to his over-the-top comic persona of Nuke (bonus points for the American flag lighter as a nod to his flag face tattoo from the comics).

I found myself really liking the ancillary characters, too. I like Malcolm, and am glad he's putting his life back together. I hope Robyn is able to actually process what happened to her and become a less... shrill... person. For those complaining she's too nuts and over-the-top... I've known a few too many people like that over the years to be able to agree.

I'll check in again after I get to season 2. :)

--Jonah

Finished S2 this afternoon. If you haven't seen it yet, don't continue reading.

Boy, was it tedious. I was enjoying the first half of the season, but as soon as they revealed that the crazy woman was Jessica's mom, I lost interest. The relationship that unfolds between her and Jessica was uninteresting simply because you know the whole time that Jessica is never going to kill her or let anything bad happen to her, even though she's an unhinged psychopath. I thought that whole plot line was the most boring of all of them, and they spent far too much time focusing on it. It lost a whole lot of steam for me after that twist. I think it's because it's no longer clear who the antagonizing force is, so the second half of the season just moves along with no real goal in mind. I was confused as to where it was heading, and when it was over, I was left disappointed. Also, nearly every character pissed me off/annoyed me, except for Malcolm. Even Trish, who was one of my favorite parts of season 1, went nuts and basically became the villain. Overall, season 2 was really unfocused and it suffered from that. Maybe I didn't get what I was supposed to get from it, but it just didn't hold my attention as much as season 1.

I definitely enjoyed season 1 more. It was phenomenal, but certainly set the bar really high. I'm really beginning to think that these Marvel Netflix shows need to cut the length back to 8 episodes. They drag these stories out for too long and in JJ s2's case, it didn't even seem like much happened. The only times that the 13 episode format felt like it was used properly was Daredevil s1 and The Punisher. Those are the only two shows I really care about now...

Thain said:
The only times that the 13 episode format felt like it was used properly was Daredevil s1 and The Punisher. Those are the only two shows I really care about now...

I've felt that each of the shows and seasons, with the exception of DD S2, have been progressively not as good as Daredevil.

I couldn't finish Iron Fist. I haven't even tried Defenders, Punisher didn't do much for me other than Bernthal's portrayal of the character, and I've really loosely watched Jessica Jones S2 as my wife has watched it.

I was thinking to myself the other day there's almost too many of them, now. I don't want to watch 13 episodes of four different mediocre stories a year. Your idea of cutting them back to 8, streamlining them, and focusing the stories a bit more might be enough to get me interested again...but as it stands Daredevil is the only one I really care about.

Finished S2 this afternoon. If you haven't seen it yet, don't continue reading.

Boy, was it tedious. I was enjoying the first half of the season, but as soon as they revealed that the crazy woman was Jessica's mom, I lost interest. The relationship that unfolds between her and Jessica was uninteresting simply because you know the whole time that Jessica is never going to kill her or let anything bad happen to her, even though she's an unhinged psychopath. I thought that whole plot line was the most boring of all of them, and they spent far too much time focusing on it. It lost a whole lot of steam for me after that twist. I think it's because it's no longer clear who the antagonizing force is, so the second half of the season just moves along with no real goal in mind. I was confused as to where it was heading, and when it was over, I was left disappointed. Also, nearly every character pissed me off/annoyed me, except for Malcolm. Even Trish, who was one of my favorite parts of season 1, went nuts and basically became the villain. Overall, season 2 was really unfocused and it suffered from that. Maybe I didn't get what I was supposed to get from it, but it just didn't hold my attention as much as season 1.

I definitely enjoyed season 1 more. It was phenomenal, but certainly set the bar really high. I'm really beginning to think that these Marvel Netflix shows need to cut the length back to 8 episodes. They drag these stories out for too long and in JJ s2's case, it didn't even seem like much happened. The only times that the 13 episode format felt like it was used properly was Daredevil s1 and The Punisher. Those are the only two shows I really care about now...
I felt the EXACT same way. I thought the first few episodes were pretty good but as soon as the lady was revealed as Jessica's mom the shows momentum just evaporated until by the end I really didn't care at all. It was annoying watching Jess's mom continually hurt and kill people and Jessica covering up for her. I get the internal conflict for the character but as an audience member I was rooting against Jessica near the end because I didn't want her mom to get away with being a murderer.

I felt the EXACT same way. I thought the first few episodes were pretty good but as soon as the lady was revealed as Jessica's mom the shows momentum just evaporated until by the end I really didn't care at all. It was annoying watching Jess's mom continually hurt and kill people and Jessica covering up for her. I get the internal conflict for the character but as an audience member I was rooting against Jessica near the end because I didn't want her mom to get away with being a murderer.

Yeppp. They spent half a season showing Jessica flip flop between wanting to kill her mom and wanting to saver her over and over and over...which could have been covered in one episode tops. I also found the actress who played Alisa really annoying at times and wanted nothing more than to no longer see her in the show.

I lost interest with that plot line because I've seen it so many times before. Kid thinks parents are dead, but they're actually not and they resurface very different than before and the kid has to reconcile with that. I realized immediately that DD s3 is going to follow a similar path with Matt's mother, and that has me very worried considering how bored I was with how it was handled in JJ.

As I am progressing my way through season 2, I was just wondering if Trish "Patsy" Walker is supposed to become Hellcat and team up with either the Avengers or the Defendets like in the comics

Personally, I thought S2 of JJ was one of the best seasons of Marvel/Netflix since Daredevil and Punisher. I was thoroughly engaged in this season and enjoyed it a lot. It took me a while to get into the first season (although Kilgrave was awesome). Maybe just because I had no clue who JJ was, I had never heard of her. This season completely held my interest.

I'm about half way through and so far, so good. I wasn't a huge fan of S1 and still am not a huge fan of Jessica herself, but it's decent enough TV at the moment.

Enjoyed season 2 more the the first.

Had a hard time accepting the actress that played her mother though, same for the Simpson character, they just didn't get there for me. But the rest worked great, look forward to S3.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yeah just a little long winded . seemed the third act was all filler . same story could have been told with at least two less episodes and lose nothing . loved the ending though , and David Tennant was cool .

Finished it. I though it was pretty good. Liked Jessica, Malcolm, and Jeri. Didn’t like a Trish. But all around it was well acted.

As well acted as this series is, I actively hate ALL of the characters. Every single one needs to die in a fire, especially Trish. They are all thoroughly terrible.

Did anyone even watch season 3? I started up on it yesterday and got 2 episodes in. Seems okay so far.

I finished it. I really enjoyed it. I wish that these shows weren't ending, because the acting in all of them has been great (yes, even Iron Fist -- the script was the problem there), but of the ones I saw, the last seasons of The Punisher, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all really felt like decent points to walk away from these characters. You could keep going, but if you have to end it, the endings are solid.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back