My Apollo A7L Space Suit V3 - FINALLY MAKING MY OWN SUIT

I'm jealous. I don't think I could have contained myself to be in the same room as all my hero's growing up. Can't wait to try the Alclad on my visor. Have you completed the lunar overshoe? Would love to see progress pics. Amazing work.

I love those shots from space fest. Thanks for posting them!
I've talked with Al Bean on the phone but have yet to meet him in person, I bet he really appreciated the work that went into your suit!

I'm thrilled to see that Ryan has completed the LEVA replicas and can't wait to see some progress photos. I am also attempting to reproduce the LEVA from the latter missions, with center eyeshade, etc, (quite a complex piece of equipment.) I'm very interested to see how Mr. Nagana handled some of the technical challenges this piece poses, (beyond the gilt visor, mentioned above.) FANTASTIC work, as always.

It's Alclad II mirror gold for Lexan, sprayed light enough to be see-thru. It's sandwiched between two layers of vac-formed 0.040 PETG. The instructions say to back the paint with black or silver, but that dulls the finish significantly. So I sandwiched it between layers of plastic to protect it. Works perfectly and the finish is really quite nice.

I hadn't thought of Alclad II as an option for the visor. I had previously looked into another paint produced by a company in the UK, and asked them this question (and their answer):

"I am looking for a product to replicate the gold visor assembly on an Apollo spacesuit replica. Would this product work on plexiglass material, such that one can still see through the material (though obviously without 100% light transmission)? Thank you. P.S. Also, is it non-toxic?
21/01/2015Ok you will need to use the small Hydrochrome kit then when you apply the topcoat you will need to add the gold tint to it, this will allow you to see through the visor. Yes the it is a toxic paint system."
Thank you for answering my question about the Apollo gold tinted visor. I have two follow up questions: 1. I understand the substance(s) are toxic when applying them, but do they remain toxic after they dry? (Not that anyone would lick it on purpose obviously, but just confirming that it wouldn't permanently emit toxic stuff. And 2. Just to confirm, one would apply the (silver) chrome first, and then the gold tint on top of that? Thank you.Once the paint is dry, this will give of VOC'S when its dry like most types of 2k paint.

So I don't know - haven't tried the stuff, but might be worth investigating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Here a photo of the original prototype RCU of him the original RCU
it was made for Apollo Spacesuites 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpgunnamed.jpgthe last picture original AL7 Pressure meter

I don't normally venture over to the replica costumes section of the RPF but I am glad I did. What an incredible suit build!!!!!!! Every little detail on it is perfect. I watched "First Man" the other day and congratulations on your involvement in such a brilliant movie.....it would have been a blast.

Would love to see a video of that,

Re: BUILD THREAD: My Apollo A7L Space Suit

A few small updates. I finally finished the helmet and neck ring assembly. This is actually NOT the spacetoys helmet that I spent a whopping $700 on. As it turns out, the bubble from that helmet was just WAY too heavy for costuming. I needed something much lighter weight, so I vac-formed this bubble from 0.25 inch PETG. I used a reverse vac-form process in an MDF box and actually sucked the bubble into a silicone mold. I had no idea if sucking a bubble this large was even possible. I had serious doubts, but after a few prayers and a couple of really uneven, wonky bubbles, I got one that was just perfect! The only thing left to do on the helmet is to sew the back pad, but I'll get into that when I break out my sewing machine.

[

Unfortunately, I had to buy the whole thing, but I'm completely scrapping the helmet ring and back pad and fabricating my own. They aren't entirely accurate anyway. The bubble is pretty good (except for the extra height at the bottom).

Could i ask where you bought it from? I'm doing a project for my engineering class and I need a suit, but i don't know how to make a replica

Hey Mr. Nagata!
So cool finding your old posts here. I reached out to you a year ago in regards to your A7 build. You took the time to respond and I'm here because I will finally begin my build. Im very familiar with just how well your suits have turned out and once again congratulations on your success.
I have been studying your online posts and anything I can get my hands on for reference.
I am looking to go the 3D route for the wrist, neck and connectors. I saw Adam has replicated the connectors with aluminum. I wonder if he'd sell me the originals you made?? Any chance you can share the source for your original measurements. I have some detailed drawings but the measurements are not part of them. Any direction on measurements in fact would be awesome.
Not sure how long we'll be stuck in our homes but I plan to make the best use of this time and who knows maybe use this suit to venture outside one day!

Not a huge update, but I did work on my space suit a little more. I'm doing all the hard parts of the suit first. Finally cut channels for the o-rings on the chest connectors. Made my own custom cutting tool for this.

View attachment 434373

I also made the plugs for the connectors worn during launch. These were done on the lathe and they'll eventually be outfitted with magnets so they'll stick inside:

View attachment 434374View attachment 434375

Made the electrical connector in three parts. The connector, the inner silver sleeve, and the retainer ring. I still have to make the insert with the matrix pins:

View attachment 434376View attachment 434377

Also made a little back plate system so I can mount the connectors to the suit:

View attachment 434378

I started making the glove rings. They will connect with magnets (the little protrusion on the side of the ring is for a rare earth magnet). Not finished with these quite yet:

View attachment 434379View attachment 434380View attachment 434381

And I scratch-built this little part for the neck ring:

View attachment 434382

First time seeing these pictures. Incredible work!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back