My Apollo A7L Space Suit V3 - FINALLY MAKING MY OWN SUIT

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've wanted to own an Apollo space suit since I was a kid. I built my first version when I was 14 years old (I may post some pictures of that later). I want something more accurate than the versions that are available for sale online, so I'm building it myself and documenting it here. Some of you might have seen my Mercury space suit:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-nasa-mercury-space-suit-226612/

Just like the real Mercury program was a precursor to Apollo, I built that suit in order to learn how to make the much more complex Apollo suit.

I'm starting with the communications carrier, more commonly known as the "Snoopy cap." It seems like a simple piece, but it's actually VERY complex when you look at the real caps up close:

1Collins.jpg

I started sculpting the "kidneys" using some good reference I had that was fortunately taken next to a ruler. I recast those sculpts in foam rubber so they would be soft and flexible:

2kidneys.JPG3foam.jpg

I also scratch built the microphone parts and various cable plugs in styrene, then recast in colored resin (no paint):

4mics.jpg5plugs.JPG

After much trial and error, I created an accurate pattern that properly fit my head. I also got a custom fabric made. The real fabric was made of teflon and it had a very unique cross-hatched pattern on it. I could not find a suitable fabric anywhere, so I created the pattern myself in illustrator and got it printed. After much searching, I also found a spandex netting that was spot on to the stuff used on the real caps. The white fabric on the top of the cap is actually netting to dissipate heat (a real cap in the Smithsonian is shown on the right):

6fabric.jpg7fabric2.JPGrealcap.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
Re: BUILD THREAD: My Apollo A7L Space Suit

Continuing on. I sewed the perspiration headband that secures onto the forehead of the cap with velcro. There were two types of these used that I've found. Some were chamois, and some were cotton. Sometimes the caps were worn without them. I made a cotton one out of one of my daughter's cloth diapers :). I also sewed the chamois ear cups for the inside of the cap:

8headband.jpg9earcups.JPG10headband2.jpg

I also made the manufacturer's label using a heatpress transfer on nylon fabric. The real caps were made by David Clark Co. This is pretty much as exact replica of the label that was actually put on these caps, but I wrote "repro" and changed the serial number:

11labels.JPG12labels2.JPG

Replica cables using rope. I'm going to install magnets into the plug so I can quickly connect it to the cable that will go in the suit:

13cable.jpg13cable2.jpg

Finished Snoopy Cap!

15snoopycap.JPG14snoopycap.JPG16snoopycap.JPG

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing progress! We have Evergreen Space Museum here in Oregon, I loved the section with space suits.

Excellent work! If you're interested, I have some Apollo fittings you can borrow for moulding.

Very good CCA replica work! I very much like the fidelity level you are achieving. I too have built/building an A7L. The fabric you used was a pretty close substitute. David Clark made that thing and it is truly a complicated little piece of headgear. I was lucky enough to have access to a real CCA and obtained some PTFE cloth from Stern and Stern of that era. That cloth is used throughout the TLSA as a liner too. One of my challenges was getting the proper overall shape of the suit. There are a few ways to do this but the most effective way is to probably build some sort of TLSA pressure garment and construct the ITMG over that garment.

Are you going to go for a pressurized or unpressurized look?

Thanks! I agree, the snoopy cap is VERY complicated. I have a lot of experience patterning out costumes and this was one of the more difficult pieces I've ever had to figure out. So much so that I made another cap after that previous one and made some slight alterations to the pattern. I think my new cap is pretty spot-on accurate now. Because the real fabric was teflon, I decided to get a new batch of fabric made out of a synthetic instead of cotton. The color is more saturated. Here is a picture of a real snoopy cap next to my latest replica:

A19770336000CP02.JPGIMG_4664.jpg

Some more detail shots:

IMG_4665.jpgIMG_4666.JPGIMG_4668.JPG

I also finished up the fittings, which I will now cast in tinted metallic resin. These were 3D-printed from files made by a member here and they were made using actual measurements from a real suit. These are the most accurate fittings I have found. It took many many rounds of primer and sanding to get them smooth, but they turned out great, IMO. Very clean and sharp. I had to re-etch the top details because they were lost in the primer and also replaced the faux screw heads with real ones:

IMG_4663.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to add that I got full permission from the creator of those files to recast these fittings for a suit.

I plan on making it look somewhere in-between the pressurized and unpressurized look, since I plan on wearing it both ways. I have two ideas for getting the structure of the suit and both involve sewing a simulated pressure garment underneath. I'm going to build both.

Ryan,
That CCA is spot on. Those fittings are shaping up nicely too. When you cast in the tinted met resin will it have the "anodized look" or will you have to paint?

I'm going to experiment with two methods. One is paint, and one is brushing metallic pigment into the mold before pouring the resin. I've done it before with good results and the finish is stronger than paint.

Ryan,
That CCA is spot on. Those fittings are shaping up nicely too. When you cast in the tinted met resin will it have the "anodized look" or will you have to paint?

I cast up the chest connectors. I brushed metallic pigment into the mold before pouring the resin. The finish is a little more durable than metallic paint.

IMG_4669.JPGIMG_4670.JPGIMG_4671.JPG

The color wasn't quite dark enough, so I ended up painting over with an automotive clear "anodize" style paint. But at least if that chips, there is metallic underneath, which will give a realistic weathering effect.

IMG_4691.JPG

I got decals printed of all the locking instructions and "Air-Lock, Inc." logos made to put on all the chest connectors, helmet and glove rings.

IMG_4726.JPGIMG_4752.JPG

There's a red o-ring inside the real connectors, so I want to duplicate that. I popped a reject casting on my lathe and bored a channel as a test. This o-ring is slightly too small so I ordered some larger ones, but the look is pretty close. The o-ring will also help the hoses stay in place via friction.

20050929-039 copy.jpgIMG_4798.JPG

I also received a bubble helmet from Spacetoys.com. Their helmet is a pretty accurate shape, but it's too tall. I'm going to cut the height down about 1.5" and create an entirely new ring system for it that will connect to my suit. I got all the parts cut in acrylic. I'll be adding details and then recasting in resin using the same techniques as the connectors.

IMG_4684.JPGIMG_4682.JPG

Last edited:

How much did you spash out for the bubble helmet? The Spacetoys site has the helmet with ring for $750US. Were you able to purchase it much cheaper without fittings?

very very nice job Mr Nagata as always!! im a loyal "follower" of all your builds. keep up the stellar work!! :cool

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back