My Apollo A7L Space Suit V3 - FINALLY MAKING MY OWN SUIT

Re: BUILD THREAD: My Apollo A7L Space Suit

Sewed on the patches, added the snaps, velcro, and other details. Just for the heck of it, I used the faded filter on my phone for a vintage look:

FullSizeRender_1.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

I found an amazing fabric to represent Chromel-R on my suit, but for some reason, I only had the foresight to buy a couple yards of it. Chromel-R is a type of fabric woven from stainless steel fibers and was used on the back of the Apollo suit, as well as the lunar boot and glove covers. This stuff looks amazing:

IMG_6446.jpg

Since I only have enough for one suit, I'm saving that fabric for my deluxe suit. I found another way that's almost as good to get the look of Chromel-R. I basically took a gray canvas type material, dusted it with metallic spray paint, then crumpled it up:

IMG_6444.JPGIMG_6448.JPGIMG_6449.JPG

I also sewed in the back zipper and fabricated the zipper dust cover:

IMG_6451.JPGIMG_6454.JPG

Started patterning out the legs. The actual A7L legs were sewn into a "curve" at the knee. It took me the longest time to figure out why the leg of the suit looks totally flat on the back and bunched up and wrinkled on the front. It's because there is a curve at the knee to allow the knee convolutes to move with ease:

IMG_6504.JPG

I also spend a long time patterning out and sewing all the details for the legs. The made the straps, pouches, loops, etc:

IMG_6508.JPGIMG_6507.JPGIMG_6506.JPGIMG_6510.jpg

I'm learning a ton about this suit in the process of making it. The clamshell shaped pocket on the thigh is a cover for the urine transfer system (I still have to fabricate this) and a medical injection site. The inside of the pocket has ANOTHER pocket sewn to it which holds the PRD (Personal Radiation Dosimeter).

I attached the leg assemblies. I still have to close them up at the bottom, but they're pinned in place. It's really starting to come together.
IMG_6599a.JPG

I attached the connectors and the arms. The connectors were a pain to install. I have to remember to sew the holes in the front panel before I incorporate it into the suit, because trying to sew anything onto the entire suit now is difficult because the garment is huge and bulky to fit in the sewing machine. It's much easier to work with subassemblies and sew the whole thing together at the end.

I'm still tweaking the inner structure a bit. I also need to prop the helmet ring up into the correct orientation. The real suit had steel cables pulling the shoulder joints in. I used elastic to simulate this. Otherwise the sleeves sag down. If you look at photographs of astronauts wearing the A7L suit, the glove rings sit pretty high up on the wrist. If I didn't put the elastic cables in, the rings would fall all the way down to my hands.

suittest.jpg

This is my "B" suit. The "A" suit has my last name on it. I used the old 3D printed connectors on this suit and the Spaceworks connectors on the other one. They're a little bit undersized, but only a few millimeters, so it's barely noticeable to anyone but me probably. The old connectors still look pretty great.

Things I hope to finish before the SoCal Prop Party:
• Make the boots
• Sew the liner and install the connector cable for the CCA
• Fabricate the matrix pins that go inside the electrical connector (I've been procrastinating with this one)
• Install the LEM tether hooks
• Slightly age and weather the entire suit (I'm going to slightly weather the suit. Not so it looks really old and beat up, but just slightly to make it look like a real piece of hardware).

Stuff I plan to do AFTER the prop party:
• Install a ventilation system for the suit and helmet
• Build a portable AC unit
• Make a more accurately shaped bubble helmet
• Fabricate the extravehicular components (this is a BIG one).

Last edited:

Amazing work. I love seeing this come together.

I can't tell if I like your Mercury suit or this better. Win/win scenario if there ever was one.

Made a partial liner (only the part visible in the neck ring when the suit is worn). Including an accurate ILC label.

IMG_6671.JPG

I use a number of different heat transfer papers depending on the application. They're for a heat press though, not iron on:

https://www.pwcustom.com

There are some absolutely remarkable heat transfer products available nowadays that didn't even exist 5 years ago. Including self-weeding transfer papers, i.e. you can print on the paper and heat press it onto fabric and have NO clear carrier around the image or text. Amazing stuff. The laser printed stuff can look almost as good as a silk screen. You can only tell if you look very close.

Thanks! I need to find a solution to have some black text put on fabric and I struggle to find the right material. Iron-on leaves carrier as you said, and using flex doesn't suit small texts...On the link you showed, they sell different products... which one did you use for your label on the inner liner?

I finished my prototype suit and took some proper photographs after the prop party this past weekend. I'll be tweaking the pattern a bit for my next suit and eventually doing an AC unit and all the extravehicular components. But here is my replica of Neil Armstrong's Apollo 11 suit. Slightly weathered to look like a real piece of hardware:

60_lrapollosuit1.jpg

60_lrapollosuit3.jpg

60_lrapollosuit2.jpg

60_lrapollosuit5.jpg

More photos here, including some of my Mercury and Star Trek suit:

http://www.ryannagata.com/otherstuff/apollo-space-suit/

Re: My Apollo A7L Space Suit FINISHED! (pics on pg 4)

Amazing. The dedication to accuracy is even more impressive than the suit itself. Congratulations Mr Nagata. This is one of the best things I have ever seen on the RPF.

Re: My Apollo A7L Space Suit VERSION 2 - IN PROGRESS

Since posting pictures of my prototype, I've gotten many requests from museums and private collectors to make Apollo (and Mercury) space suits. So I've been hard at work creating new, more accurate parts and patterns. I will also be making all of the EVA components of the suit (LEVA visor assembly, PLSS life support backpack, RCU chest controller, lunar boots and gloves).

I've switched over to a heavy duty nylon fabric and use nylon upholstery thread now, so the overall weight of suit looks like an industrial job. It's very nice. I'm also pre weathering each piece of fabric and each fitting so I can be more meticulous about it.

image5.jpegimage6.jpegimage7.jpegimage3.jpeg

I've made adjustments to all my pattern pieces, so the new suit will be more accurate in terms of it's structure. I also finally found the correct velcro loop for the suit. The standard napped loop stuff was not the same type used on the Apollo space suit. It looks a lot different:

image8.jpegimage9.jpegimage10.jpegimage11.jpeg

A small detail, but I also added the correct data stamp on top of the intravehicular gloves:

image12.jpeg

Re: My Apollo A7L Space Suit VERSION 2 - IN PROGRESS

Drooooooool.

What pre-weathering steps are you applying to the fabrics?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back