My Apollo A7L Space Suit V3 - FINALLY MAKING MY OWN SUIT

Re: BUILD THREAD: My Apollo A7L Space Suit

Unfortunately, I had to buy the whole thing, but I'm completely scrapping the helmet ring and back pad and fabricating my own. They aren't entirely accurate anyway. The bubble is pretty good (except for the extra height at the bottom).

How much did you spash out for the bubble helmet? The Spacetoys site has the helmet with ring for $750US. Were you able to purchase it much cheaper without fittings?

Not a huge update, but I did work on my space suit a little more. I'm doing all the hard parts of the suit first. Finally cut channels for the o-rings on the chest connectors. Made my own custom cutting tool for this.

IMG_4845.JPG

I also made the plugs for the connectors worn during launch. These were done on the lathe and they'll eventually be outfitted with magnets so they'll stick inside:

IMG_4922.JPGIMG_4924.JPG

Made the electrical connector in three parts. The connector, the inner silver sleeve, and the retainer ring. I still have to make the insert with the matrix pins:

IMG_4919.JPGIMG_4921.JPG

Also made a little back plate system so I can mount the connectors to the suit:

IMG_4925.JPG

I started making the glove rings. They will connect with magnets (the little protrusion on the side of the ring is for a rare earth magnet). Not finished with these quite yet:

IMG_4835.JPGIMG_4847.JPGIMG_4928.JPG

And I scratch-built this little part for the neck ring:

IMG_4926.JPG

Your attention to detail is very impressive, most people wouldn't bother with the o rings. What material did you use for the wist connectors? Are the ones shown masters for casing or for your suit?

Ryan, Those gas connectors are shaping up very nicely! I'm going to look into that magnet technique. How much holding power will that have?

The wrist connectors are PVC and ABS pipes that I turned on a lathe to the correct dimensions. The wrist rings are router-cut acrylic. I cast them all up in resin. I brush metallic pigment into the mold so the metal finish is quite durable. I spray anodize paint color on top of that. So if they chip, the faux metal finish will be revealed underneath so they will weather realistically.

Your attention to detail is very impressive, most people wouldn't bother with the o rings. What material did you use for the wist connectors? Are the ones shown masters for casing or for your suit?

Thanks! Depending on the size, rare earth magnets can be VERY strong. I just installed the magnets inside the connectors that will serve the dual purpose of holding in the plugs, or holding in the tubes that connect to the portable air supply at launch, or the PLSS for EVA.

Ryan, Those gas connectors are shaping up very nicely! I'm going to look into that magnet technique. How much holding power will that have?

Fantastic work on this and your Mercury suit. You've made me a very jealous man!

Can you please tell me where you got the replica connector for your Snoopy cap? I have a Snoopy cap from Global Effects but it did not come with a plug. I've looked all over for an accurate replacement but can't find one. Maybe you can get me in the right direction.

I scratch built the plug myself and cast it. The original connector was made by Air-Lock (they also made the bubble helmets and all the suit connectors). It's a custom part for the A7L spacesuit, not a standard mil-spec part you can find anywhere.

Fantastic work on this and your Mercury suit. You've made me a very jealous man!

Can you please tell me where you got the replica connector for your Snoopy cap? I have a Snoopy cap from Global Effects but it did not come with a plug. I've looked all over for an accurate replacement but can't find one. Maybe you can get me in the right direction.

Update. Installed magnets in the wrist connectors and gas plugs.

IMG_4932.jpgIMG_5017.JPGIMG_5018.JPGIMG_5019.JPG

They're fairly strong. I made some videos showing the mechanism and how it works. It should make it fairly easy to don the full costume when it's done.

Also made the neck rings. They're also magnetic and will attach to the suit and liner with velcro. These are very accurate. I even made the vent in back that will feed the helmet air supply:

IMG_5012.JPG

Started working on the helmet. I cut the Space Toys helmet down about an inch or so because it was too tall. It's a more accurate height now and I made a new necking that will connect to mine:

IMG_4971.jpgIMG_5014.JPGIMG_5015.JPG

I'm working on the plate for the back pad. I vac-formed it and added the spacers that will allow the stream of air to disburse throughout the helmet:

IMG_4973.JPGIMG_5016.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And just for reference, here is a real A7L so you can see the connector rings, etc.

A19720588000CP06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Apollo junkie, I'm very familiar with the suits and have followed amateur suit building projects across the net for many years. I've even had a chance to examine Global Effects' Apollo suits firsthand (as well as numerous museum replicas). I can say hands down that you are on par with Hollywood in almost every respect, and your suit is shaping up to be the most accurate cosplay suit yet.

I'm curious: You specifically say an A7L, which was used up through Apollo 14. Is there a specific mission and/or astronaut that you seek to replicate?

BTW: Global Effects sews hard parts inside the suit to replicate the shape that the interior fittings on the arms contributed to the overall shape of the suit (see pic, which is from an A7LB, but the basic details are the same), It's a hidden and subtle thing, but it adds that much more realism to the suit. The outer white layer is not merely a basic "cover-all" shape that many costumers do, but due to the interior pressure garment, have enlarged seats (hips & butt) and slightly enlarged shoulders to accommodate the interior pressure garment. Again, its subtle but that makes the difference between a costume and a true replica. I know you didn't solicit that observation, and may have noticed it yourself, but I wanted to share it in case you didn't. :)
history-human-space-suits-apollo-underneath_35269_600x450.jpg

Thank you so much. That's a great compliment! As a matter of fact, a great deal of my "thought experimentation" has been about how to recreate the look of the internal pressure garment. I'm also making this suit for costuming, so heat and comfort are a major factor, so simply stuffing the suit with batting is going to make it super hot. The current iteration of my thought experiment is to use batting only on the legs, butt, and arms to get the inflated look, and use strategically placed plastic ribs to create the bulk of the shoulders and torso (where the majority of heat build-up is likely to take place. And I will use an air system to pump air into the helmet not unlike the system on the real helmets.

I've studied a great number of these suits and there are almost as many variations as there were astronauts. I'm primarily trying to duplicate Armstrong and Aldrin's extravehicular suit design from Apollo 11.

As an Apollo junkie, I'm very familiar with the suits and have followed amateur suit building projects across the net for many years. I've even had a chance to examine Global Effects' Apollo suits firsthand (as well as numerous museum replicas). I can say hands down that you are on par with Hollywood in almost every respect, and your suit is shaping up to be the most accurate cosplay suit yet.

I'm curious: You specifically say an A7L, which was used up through Apollo 14. Is there a specific mission and/or astronaut that you seek to replicate?

BTW: Global Effects sews hard parts inside the suit to replicate the shape that the interior fittings on the arms contributed to the overall shape of the suit (see pic, which is from an A7LB, but the basic details are the same), It's a hidden and subtle thing, but it adds that much more realism to the suit. The outer white layer is not merely a basic "cover-all" shape that many costumers do, but due to the interior pressure garment, have enlarged seats (hips & butt) and slightly enlarged shoulders to accommodate the interior pressure garment. Again, its subtle but that makes the difference between a costume and a true replica. I know you didn't solicit that observation, and may have noticed it yourself, but I wanted to share it in case you didn't. :)
View attachment 441819

Ryan,
I like the plastic rib idea. I was thinking small inflatable inserts to replicate the shoulders, etc. of the PGA but that may be more difficult option. I would say if you are wearing a full EMU ventilation (with exhaust) is a must. I'm trying to replicate convoluted shoulders/thigh/arm and leg sections by dip or painting on latex layers on a convolute mold but I haven't completed one yet. Flat pattern convolutes that will accept air flow may work too! Those magnets are too cool. The helmet vent duct looks great. Did you take a casting off the back of your bubble for that?

Yeah, those have been my bible the for last few months! The Smithsonian has a great photo archive as well. That's where the above picture of Ed Mitchell's suit came from as well as some of the high res photos of the snoopy cap. The Smithsonian has great photos of really obscure items as well, like the brass ACR flashlights (which I will be machining replicas of) and the life preserver belt, which I will be duplicating for my suit as it was worn at launch.

An interesting note about Armstrong's and several of the other flown suits. You'll notice in the photos of the suits today that some of the connectors on the torso are anodized deep blue, while others appear to be quite light and faded. I was originally going to duplicate this as I thought it had some sort of significance, but after examining photos of the same suits back in 1969, all the connectors appeared to be the same shade of deep blue. I haven't found any photos of a suit right before launch where the connectors were faded blue like that. Which means one of two things: either some of the connectors were switched out after the mission, or somehow the dye has faded (which is possible, but it seems like it's faded to an extreme degree). I'm choosing to duplicate the look of the suits back then, so I went with a uniform shade of deep blue.

I considered doing convoluted arms and shoulders at one point, but using a fabric skin with plastic ribs inserted. I may still do this down the line if the batting in the arms is still too hot. But it just seemed like a lot of work. The space toys helmet came with a back pad, but it's inaccurate and really thick (my head barely fits in the helmet with it on). But it conformed with the back of the helmet, so it had the right curvature. So I used that as a base and made a quick and dirty casting with alginate, then resculpted that casting into something more accurate. Then I used that as a vac form buck.

Ryan,
I like the plastic rib idea. I was thinking small inflatable inserts to replicate the shoulders, etc. of the PGA but that may be more difficult option. I would say if you are wearing a full EMU ventilation (with exhaust) is a must. I'm trying to replicate convoluted shoulders/thigh/arm and leg sections by dip or painting on latex layers on a convolute mold but I haven't completed one yet. Flat pattern convolutes that will accept air flow may work too! Those magnets are too cool. The helmet vent duct looks great. Did you take a casting off the back of your bubble for that?

Thoughts on a few things here:
1) Regarding connector color variations, it's been my experience that the connectors are fairly uniform in color. Variations in photos happen due to inconsistent conditions of photography (camera & flash settings, distance from object, etc), or printing (if in a book) due to editor's contrast/saturation choices. Also, ink variations between book printers also distort the true colors.

2) I've pondered the problem of heat in case I ever build and wear a suit. One possibility is a cooling vest where water circulates through a block of dry ice in the PLSS. Because the ice is so much colder than frozen water, your cooling is likely more efficient and you need less liquid water the circulate through tubes. That makes it lighter. As a matter of fact, as dry ice melts it turns to vapor, so the PLSS actually gets lighter.

But a simpler and cheaper solution is to make a vest holding cooling packs. You can make them for cheap by following this video below. And they are leak proof too!
The most efficient cooling is done by putting packs near the armpits where the skin is thinnest and a major artery passes. That where paramedics put packs on heat stroke victims (groin too).

http://youtu.be/0z3tokRueSI

I was talking about color variations within the same suit. Take a look at the blue connectors on Aldrin's suit:

Aldrinsuit4 copy.jpg

I've seen it myself in person on other A7L's in museums. The blue is often inconsistent within the same suit, but photos of the same suits on launch day appear uniform.

Thoughts on a few things here:
1) Regarding connector color variations, it's been my experience that the connectors are fairly uniform in color. Variations in photos happen due to inconsistent conditions of photography (camera & flash settings, distance from object, etc), or printing (if in a book) due to editor's contrast/saturation choices. Also, ink variations between book printers also distort the true colors.

2) I've pondered the problem of heat in case I ever build and wear a suit. One possibility is a cooling vest where water circulates through a block of dry ice in the PLSS. Because the ice is so much colder than frozen water, your cooling is likely more efficient and you need less liquid water the circulate through tubes. That makes it lighter. As a matter of fact, as dry ice melts it turns to vapor, so the PLSS actually gets lighter.

But a simpler and cheaper solution is to make a vest holding cooling packs. You can make them for cheap by following this video below. And they are leak proof too!
The most efficient cooling is done by putting packs near the armpits where the skin is thinnest and a major artery passes. That where paramedics put packs on heat stroke victims (groin too).

http://youtu.be/0z3tokRueSI

Aldrinsuit4 copy.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back