Captain America Armor Variant WIP (Pic Heavy)

What did you end up doing? I'm also having some issues with metal shine on PD parts...

Honestly, nothing yet. I've not had much time to devote to this with other projects and commissions being priority. That said, I had a meet up with some of the guys last week and it looks like it's going to be a sand-down, re-seal and re-prime thing.

I'll definitely share more as I can get back on focus with this project.

Thanks guys! Hoping to get this one out for DragonCon. All the other Caps I had to do bumped this one, so I've not been able to get to it in a while. We're working on the paint detailing on the armor now and I've got to get the accessories sorted. I'll post updates soon.

Cheers!

This is/was an amazing build I took alot of cues from your build and incorporated them in my current costume, altho with less finesse and quality.
if your curious you can check it out here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248969

Did you ever end up finishing this?

That looks awesome! Thanks for posting it here. :)

This was a project I was just tinkering with for myself - so, it kind of got back-burnered due to my calendar of commissions. I'm sure I'll get back on it at some point when I have some free time. I have actually done a little bit of paint on it, I've just not taken any new pics. I'm hoping to have it all done for Heroes Con in Charlotte in June.

Cheers!

Wow, so, after a long absence from this project due to too many other projects demanding attention, I finally carved out some time to try to get this guy back on track.

I finished all the strapping and closures on the armor pieces and put them all on the suit. Here's what it looks like at this point.

upper-armor-6-300x282.jpg
upper-armor-7-282x300.jpg

While it looks fine on the form, after consideration (and another test fit), I decided that it's too bulky and the wear-ability is close to nil. I decided to take a different direction with the 'armor' pieces and make them much more streamlined by not making them out of foam, but basing them more on some of my other recent projects like Daredevil, Punisher and Batman.

I began the new armor chest by making a new base pattern and building the foundation in the navy cordura backed with headliner foam. The bottom edge, center top and armholes were finished with binding.

armor-cap-chest-1-300x177.jpg
armor-cap-chest-3-300x230.jpg
armor-cap-chest-4-300x270.jpg

I then made another copy of the base in muslin and sketched out the new details. This was then cut apart and used to build up the armor segments on the chest.

armor-cap-chest-2-234x300.jpg

In a similar fashion to the Punisher vest, the pieces were cut from 2mm craft foam, covered with cordura and stitched down.

armor-cap-chest-5-300x201.jpg

There are also details that incorporate the metallic blue and red faux leather from the torso to pull the whole thing together. Here are images of the chest so far.

armor-cap-chest-6-300x293.jpg
armor-cap-chest-7-265x300.jpg

The next steps will be the collar on the chest, the center back panel and the new shoulder pieces.

So, what do you guys think - the new version or the old?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update time!

The next piece to add was the collar on the new chest. I liked the AoU collar with the split in the front and the red chevrons on the side, so I went with that style.

armor-cap-chest-8-300x206.jpg

Once that was attached a made a backplate with craft foam and cordura. This will be sewn down on one side, velcro on the other and will cover the zipper in the back.

armor-cap-chest-10-280x300.jpg

With the chest finished except for some detailing, I decided to get the shoulders underway. I used the pattern for the tactical Batman for the basic shoulder bells. These were also lined with headliner to give them a good amount of structure. I then created an edging piece by covering craft foam with the red faux leather and sewing the main shoulder bell to it.

armor-cap-shoulder-1-300x209.jpg
armor-cap-shoulder-2-300x208.jpg

Straps were created to hold the shoulders to the biceps by using the same silver fabric on the sleeves and headliner foam. The fabric was backed with the foam and then ribbing was stitched down for some added detail.

armor-cap-shoulder-4-300x236.jpg

The straps were attached to the front of the shoulder bells. The shoulders will attach to the inner jacket and extend from under the chest piece. Once I get a final fitting, the straps will be attached to the backs of the shoulders. There will also be an molded insignia detail on the shoulders (I'll cover that later).

armor-cap-shoulder-5-235x300.jpg

At this point, I'm pretty much at a stop on the upper body until I get a few more supplies in and the mold for the shoulders run, so I moved on the gauntlets.

I like the style of gauntlets from the Avengers costume, and decided I want to play around with this version.

armor-cap-gauntlet-1-269x300.jpg

I began by making a paper template and sketching out the details. Then, I made the base structure out of headliner and craft foam. The craft foam in the center section is 6mm while the sides are 2mm. It's not east to see in the image, but the 6mm pieces are beveled to make molding the fabric and sewing the detail lines easier.

armor-cap-gauntlet-2-283x300.jpg
armor-cap-gauntlet-3-300x245.jpg

I like the later versions of the MCU costumes for pulling the brown elements into the accessories. While I want to do that as well, I also want the brown to be more of an accent and not base for the pieces. So, this gauntlet base was then covered with cordura that was sprayed with Super 77.

armor-cap-gauntlet-4-300x267.jpg

I then used my original template to trace out the edging and detail lines in the brown faux leather. This was sewn down using a teflon zipper foot and the edges were trimmed, wrapped to the back and glued down.

armor-cap-gauntlet-5-300x197.jpg

The inner forearm piece was made using a piece of the brown faux leather detailed with red cordura. It is held in place with two strips of elastic. Red cordura straps and silver buckles were added to the outer gauntlet and it straps on top of the lower piece.

armor-cap-gauntlet-6-246x300.jpg
armor-cap-gauntlet-8-222x300.jpg
armor-cap-gauntlet-7-220x300.jpg

Next up on the gauntlets are the had guards, gloves and possibly elbow pads - then it's on to finishing the chest/shoulders and the rest of the accessories.

armor-cap-chest-8-300x206.jpg

armor-cap-chest-10-280x300.jpg

armor-cap-shoulder-1-300x209.jpg

armor-cap-shoulder-2-300x208.jpg

armor-cap-shoulder-4-300x236.jpg

armor-cap-shoulder-5-235x300.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-1-269x300.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-2-283x300.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-3-300x245.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-4-300x267.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-5-300x197.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-6-246x300.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-8-222x300.jpg

armor-cap-gauntlet-7-220x300.jpg

This is absolutely beautiful, like damn. Amazing work man!

Thanks!

It's taken a couple of twists since I began it but I like the track it's on now quite a lot. That happens when I'm working on projects for myself - I get going on it, then get crazy busy and sidetracked and, by the time I get back to it, I want to incorporate a bunch of different techniques and take it in a new direction.

Hopefully, I'll get it done before it turns into something completely different. Haha, cheers!

So, I tend be a pretty linear person on projects - working on each piece until it's done and then layering them all up - until I get to the accessories. Then, I just start jumping around and am all over the map - a bit here and bob there. So, it may be a weird ride from here on out. :)

Anyway, on with it..

The gloves that I'll be using arrived and here's a quick look at them together with the gauntlets at this point. These will be color corrected and have hand guards that cover them (similar to the latest MCU suits). I said earlier on that I was going to build the gloves but that was when I was planning to do everything in red and blue to match. Since I'm going with the brown, I decided to save myself a bit of time and worry and source the gloves instead.

glove-12-300x183.jpg
glove-13-300x181.jpg

Having had some other supplies delivered along with the gloves, I decided to take a break from the gauntlets to test out the shoulder emblem and get the helmet going.

The emblem for the shoulders is going to be the Avengers "A" emblem at a larger scale the the ones I've made for the AoU suits. As it happens, one of my regular suppliers included an Avengers ornament in a recent shipment and it was the perfect size for this project. He was nice enough to give me permission to do a one-time recast of his piece for this project.
Here is a picture of the two molds side by side for scale.

armor-cap-emblem-1-300x173.jpg

I'm using Amazing Casting Resin for these. It's a craft-quality resin but I like it for small widgets like this for two main reasons:

• It's very lightweight and doesn't weigh down garment pieces or flop around
  • I can pull it before it's completely cured and get complex curves out of the pieces

The latter is what I've done for these. I poured the resin, let it cure about 90% and then carefully de-molded it and taped it down to the shoulder of a mannequin arm to harden. When it was fully cured, it retained the curve of the shoulder.

armor-cap-emblem-2-286x300.jpg
armor-cap-emblem-3-300x274.jpg

It just needs to be cleaned up, sanded and painted. Here's what the raw piece looks like against the shoulder.

armor-cap-emblem-4-300x292.jpg

The helmet is being built out of 6mm craft foam. I checked out a few Pepakura templates, but opted to create my own pattern from scratch rather than try to adapt an existing template.

I turned to my trusty Ed Head to help me out. I covered him in plastic wrap and then masking tape.

Here's a tip when working with something that needs to get into small details - like the brows and bridge of the nose: it's easy to really get into those areas if you lightly spray your head form with spray adhesive and then press the plastic down onto it. This way, the plastic adheres to the form and keeps the shape while applying the tape.

armor-cap-helmet-1-290x300.jpg

Once he was covered. I drew on the basic shapes for the helmet.

armor-cap-helmet-2-249x300.jpg

I then cut the tape apart and transferred the pieces to poster board.

armor-cap-helmet-7-300x212.jpg

These were then cut from foam and assembled. I pre-formed the sides and top pieces with a heat gun and then, working from the sides to the middle, glued the pieces together with contact cement.

armor-cap-helmet-3-257x300.jpg
armor-cap-helmet-4-265x300.jpg

Once the base of the helmet was assembled, I used the heat gun to add some subtle shaping to the brows and temples and added the nose piece.

armor-cap-helmet-5-241x300.jpg

Next, I'll be cutting all of the rest of the details out of 6mm and 2mm foam and adding them to the base before Plasti-Dip, filler and finishing.

Stay tuned!

glove-12-300x183.jpg

glove-13-300x181.jpg

armor-cap-emblem-1-300x173.jpg

armor-cap-emblem-2-286x300.jpg

armor-cap-emblem-3-300x274.jpg

armor-cap-emblem-4-300x292.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-1-290x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-2-249x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-7-300x212.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-3-257x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-4-265x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-5-241x300.jpg

Hello all! Not a long update, but I got a lot of work done on the helmet and am pretty excited about it. This is the first helmet I've made and I really like the results so far. So, here's the newness:

Once the base was assembled, I used a sanding drum on my dremel to round all the edges. Then came the detailing. I began detailing on the sides. First, I added thin strips of 2mm foam to cover the seams on the sides of the head above the eyes. I then used the flat template from the side to create a new template for the side detail and wings.

armor-cap-helmet-8-300x186.jpg

These pieces were cut from 2mm foam and, working back to front, were carefully applied to the base with contact cement.

armor-cap-helmet-9-300x245.jpg

The top detail section was created and applied the same way and then the wings and signature "A" were added as an additional layer.
2mm foam is pretty easy mold around curves if you work section by section and take it slow.

On the top piece here, I cut it flat and then drew a line down the center on the underside (which is slightly visible in the image on the left). I then applied the contact cement to only the front to just above the vents. I lined up the center line on the detail piece to the center seam on the helmet and laid it down only in the center. I was then able to press and mold the foam around the top of the helmet curve. After I had it started in the front, I applied the cement to the rest of the pieces and, slowly, laid it down matching the center lines and then carefully smoothing and molding the foam over the top.

armor-cap-helmet-10-300x284.jpg
armor-cap-helmet-11-265x300.jpg
armor-cap-helmet-12-277x300.jpg

The last of the main pieces to add to the helmet were the ears. I cut these from 6mm foam, traced out the detail lines I wanted and then sliced them in with an xacto knife and used the heat gun to open the cuts and slightly curve the pieces to fit the contour of the helmet.

armor-cap-helmet-13-245x300.jpg

At this point, it was time to give the whole thing one last heat-seal with the gun and give it a couple of coats of Plasti-Dip.

armor-cap-helmet-14-248x300.jpg

Next, I'll use some flexible caulk to tighten up the details, fill in a few seams and then more Plasti-Dip and the helmet can go to paint.

armor-cap-helmet-8-300x186.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-9-300x245.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-10-300x284.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-11-265x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-12-277x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-13-245x300.jpg

armor-cap-helmet-14-248x300.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back