Captain America Armor Variant WIP (Pic Heavy)

Thanks guys for the new subs and comments! I've had to take a little break on this project to focus on the ones that I'm, you know, actually getting paid to do. ;)

I've done some filling in of seams and the final coats on the armor pieces and I'm hoping to get to paint them soon. I'll be posting more soon. The goal is to get this done, photographed and ready to take to Heroes in June.

Cannot wait to see the finished piece! All of your work is so Damn Sexy! Will you be commissioning the Armor bits including Gauntlets, Knee, and Shin Guards at any point?

Thank you for your time,

Andy

Cannot wait to see the finished piece! All of your work is so Damn Sexy! Will you be commissioning the Armor bits including Gauntlets, Knee, and Shin Guards at any point?

Thank you for your time,

Andy

Thanks Andy! Once it's not freezing and/or wet here, I can get to painting that armor.

Commissioning? Not planning to - this is more a promo/display piece just for me. However, I did post the templates for the armor earlier in the thread for download and I'll be posting templates for any other armor pieces that are made for this project. I'm not entirely sure what that will entail. Since this is an original mash-up, I'm really just playing by ear as far as the actual design goes.

I have to say I love this build. I am going to be doing a cap costume soon and I sincerely want to match this quality. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Fire away with whatever questions you have and I'm happy to try to help. Cheers!

I had a couple actually lol, As far as gauntlets and leg armour in general, I'm having a little trouble conceptualising ideas for my design. I haven't really updated my thread in a while but I"m currently tailoring the pants but i wanted to get the design finalised before I finished. do you have any drawings or ideas of what you'll be doing that I can try to go from or any ideas for my design at all?
also, how do you plan to separate and then reconnect the chest piece so that it goes over the body? I was gonna disconnect at on side under the arm and at the shoulder near the collar but I'm not sure anymore

thanks again, and as I said before it looks AMAZING.

I had a couple actually lol, As far as gauntlets and leg armour in general, I'm having a little trouble conceptualising ideas for my design. I haven't really updated my thread in a while but I"m currently tailoring the pants but i wanted to get the design finalised before I finished. do you have any drawings or ideas of what you'll be doing that I can try to go from or any ideas for my design at all?
also, how do you plan to separate and then reconnect the chest piece so that it goes over the body? I was gonna disconnect at on side under the arm and at the shoulder near the collar but I'm not sure anymore

thanks again, and as I said before it looks AMAZING.

Gauntlets and shins, I'm thinking I'm going to go similar to the Bourraine art, though not quite so intricate (trying to keep it a little more streamlined). They will likely be some combination of foam and the faux leather. There will also be knee and elbow pads/armor of some sort. I'm not doing armor on the thighs, I know that already. I don't have anything drawn up yet. It's kind of taking on a life of its own.

The chest actually separates on the side back seams under the arms and currently closes with industrial Velcro tabs. I'm thinking, however, about changing those out with straps and buckles for a better fit. Also, the bottom of the chest piece is going to be trimmed so that it's shorter and doesn't cover as much of the torso.

I'm looking forward to getting back to it once I get some other projects wrapped up. :)

Trying to continue with this project in the midst of everything else. Plus, with the weather getting better, I'm able to do some more of the coating and painting.

All of the upper body armor pieces are complete! Now it's time to start working on paint. With all of the pieces coated, I began by priming and using the silver accent color for the base coat. The blue I'm using is DupliColor Patriot Blue and is very dark. I wanted to give it a bright base coat.

armor-paint-1.jpg

After a solid silver cover, the pieces were masked off and the blue was sprayed on. Here are pictures of the chest and one shoulder on the form (all I could get out of that one can of blue paint).

armor-paint-2.jpg
armor-paint-3.jpg

I ordered and received another can of blue for the other shoulder and the backpack. However, in a strange turn of events, the paint did not dry with an even finish. Even though all of the pieces were treated, primed and undercoat with the same products and at the same time, these last two pieces dried with flat patches and don't have the smooth metallic finish of the others.

armor-paint-4.jpg

So, next, I've got to try to figure out how to fix this issue and possibly just repaint all of the pieces at once to get a consistent finish.More to come - stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful work!!! So inspirational, just what I'm looking for Bucky Captain America for Comicpalooza next month!!! What is better in your opinion, fabric only costume, or armor costume?

Wonderful work!!! So inspirational, just what I'm looking for Bucky Captain America for Comicpalooza next month!!! What is better in your opinion, fabric only costume, or armor costume?

Hm. That's a tough question. The first armor of any kind that I wore was my Old Republic original costume at Dragon Con last year (the one in my avatar). It was a very different experience, but I had fun in it. For this one, I really just wanted to combine two loves: Cap and my new found love of foam crafting.

Will you be wearing this at this years DragonCon?
I'd like to take a couple of photos with you. I may be wearing my Red Hood costume in them I hope you wouldn't mind.

So, next, I've got to try to figure out how to fix this issue and possibly just repaint all of the pieces at once to get a consistent finish.More to come - stay tuned...

What did you end up doing? I'm also having some issues with metal shine on PD parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back