Captain America Armor Variant WIP (Pic Heavy)

Amazing! How did you cut the straps so that they fitted perfectly around the suit?

EDIT: I tried to like this topic on Tapatalk but my tablet lagged and jumped and I accidentally disliked it. Is there a way to fix this?

Kind regards, The14thDr

Thanks! In the first part of the thread, there's a section on me making the posterboard template for the main parts of the straps so that they would curve around the armor and fit into the backpack. For the blue straps I used the main template (that I used to cut the red part) and traced it onto posterboard. Then I sketched out the strap with the proper width and curve and cut that from the white cordura. I then covered the white cordura with blue using Super 77 to keep it all stuck together and stitched them down to the base adding the hardware pieces as I went.

SMP that harness is going to find its way on my suit before Cap 3. Just be advised. lol

Haha! No problem, Mike! I still have the templates for your harness and can make a red/blue one for your suit. :)

Also, any eta on pics? I can't wait to see you suited up.

Hi all, small update - playing with glove concepts...

I began testing concepts for the gloves. I had an idea on what I wanted for the gloves and decided to run a test to see how it would turn out. I'll go ahead and say that these will not be the final gloves (and I'll go into why later in the process), but I wanted to post how these gloves were made.I knew I wanted to combine the red faux leather and the navy spandex. First, I wanted to keep all the fabrics cohesive throughout the project and, second, I needed to make sure I had a sufficient amount of flexibility to move. I began, as most gloves begin, with the thumb.I traced the general thumb pattern onto the spandex and then traced it onto the red faux leather. I then cut the red to the pattern I wanted, lightly misted it with Super 77 to keep it in place and stitched it down.

glove-1.jpg

I then trimmed the blue away, cut the piece to the original pattern and stitched it. Here's how it turned out.

glove-2.jpg
glove-3.jpg

Next, I did the same process with the hand. Once the hand section was assembled, I stitched the thumb in. Here are pics of the glove flat and pinned over my hand at this point.

glove-4.jpg
glove-6.jpg
glove-5.jpg

Now, here's the really fun part: the fourchettes. Fourchettes are the little strips between the fingers that provide depth as well as width. This is where lots of practice comes into this process and where most people get very frustrated.Here's my short-version process:

1. I cut a 3/4" strip for the fourchettes the length of the fabric (with stretch across - narrow - not lengthwise).
  2. Start at the upper part of the glove and go finger-by-finger and trim the strip as you go. Cut more when needed.
  3. Go slow. You are using a 1/8" (at most) seam allowance so walk your machine when you need more control.
  4. The most challenging parts are at the fingertip (easing in the top fingertip and the end of the fourchette) and the ends of the fingers (near the knuckles). Practice easing these tight curves and edges. Stretch fabrics are easier to manipulate that non (yeah, so the red was a lot of fun for this).
  5. When you're ready to stitch the underside of the glove, pin at the fingertips and the ends (near the knuckles) and make sure you pin the ends near the knuckles accurately or you'll get a lot of twist in the fingers.

That's a very broad-strokes description, but it really does just take practice. The more you make gloves, the better and faster you'll get - and the more you'll develop the process that works best for you.So, here's a pic of the fourchettes sewn to the top of the glove and some pics of the glove sewn together on my hand and on the form with the costume.

glove-7.jpg
glove-8.jpg
glove-9.jpg
glove-10.jpg
glove-11.jpg

As I mentioned above, I'm not going to use these as the finals. I'm not completely happy with the shape of the fingers and the fit. It seems a bit too slim and 'isotoner' and I want to develop a more tactical-style glove. I have a pair of motocross gloves that I might deconstruct and use to pattern a new version. I do know that I don't want the fingerless version from the movie, but full gloves. Plus, the gauntlets will cover them almost to the knuckle, so I need to make sure they don't look too flimsy from the knuckle down.

All of that said, this is what costume design is all about - concepts, testing, building, back-to-one, building, back-to-one, and so forth.

More to come, cheers!

glove-1.jpg

glove-2.jpg

glove-3.jpg

glove-4.jpg

glove-6.jpg

glove-5.jpg

glove-7.jpg

glove-8.jpg

glove-9.jpg

glove-10.jpg

glove-11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww man. This is awesome. I've been searching high and low for some reference to make some cap armour.

Your work is flawless. If I can replicate this at just 10% of the epicness I'll be a happy cap.

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already or can help you, but I just want to echo here that this is truly an amazing build. Generally I think making variant or fan art inspired versions of costumes can be hit or miss, but this is really top grade stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Will you be using a movie shield or a different kind?

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already or can help you, but I just want to echo here that this is truly an amazing build. Generally I think making variant or fan art inspired versions of costumes can be hit or miss, but this is really top grade stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Will you be using a movie shield or a different kind?

Thanks man! I'm not quite to the shield yet - still just covering the body at this point. I think that's going to be the last part as I'll want it to really tie into the whole concept (and I'm still making that up as I go along).

I was able to have a test fitting today and try the whole thing (s0 far) on the person who will be wearing it. Overall, it was very good. There are a few things that I want to tweak and some adjustments that need to be made - mostly with the armor - but I'm very pleased with the progress so far. Here are some pictures from the fitting.

fitting-1.jpg
fitting-2.jpg
fitting-3.jpg
fitting-5.jpg

More to come, stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back