Captain America Armor Variant WIP (Pic Heavy)

Question for SMP Designs: How much of a gap between the top of the cloth piece for the stomach and the back of the foam chest piece is there ? I'm making leather armor for a friend in a similar fashion and still working out some of the design kinks

Just from seeing what you have completed so far. I already feel this looks better than Captain America's uniform in Marvel's Avengers film.

Wow! This suit is looking awesome so far! Would you mind if I took your templates and modified them slightly for my own custom build? I'm planning on combining lots of elements from the different Captain America suits, and your armour is really inspirational.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Wow! This suit is looking awesome so far! Would you mind if I took your templates and modified them slightly for my own custom build? I'm planning on combining lots of elements from the different Captain America suits, and your armour is really inspirational.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Not at all! That's why I posted them! :D

OK, here's an update on the suit - happy new year!

The harness straps for the backpack came next. After some consideration, I decided to change the template from a solid backed harness to two separate, shaped straps that will clip onto the backpack.

harness-template-4.jpg

I spent a lot of time deliberating on the accessories for this one - whether to go with all brown (like the last project) or use the red and blue for all of the 'leather' pieces. I decided on the latter. The harness straps will have a red base with blue accents and silver hardware. Like most of the harnesses I make, I used headliner foam to give it some thickness and padding. So, the first step was to cut the pieces from the foam and then cover them with the red. I use Super 77 quite a lot while working on projects like these to tack pieces together wile working with them. Once the foam pieces were tacked down to the red faux leather, I cut them out and finished the edges.

harness-1.jpg
harness-2.jpg

Next, I pinned one of the straps to the armor on the form, held up the backpack and marked where the rest of the pieces needed to go.

harness-3.jpg
harness-4.jpg

I knew that the backpack was going to clip onto the straps, but I wanted to fill in the space with blue so that the red was only on the edges. I decided to use the blue vinyl from the torso for this back area to pull everything together. I cut these pieces based on the test fit, tacked them with Super 77 and stitched them down.

harness-5.jpg

I had black plastic pieces for all the hardware, but decided I wanted them to be silver to match the torso and (once painted) the stripes and star motifs on the armor. I rinsed them all in acetone to strip off the surface, primed them with plastic primer and painted them with automotive paint to attempt to get the best adhesion possible.

harness-6.jpg

I didn't end up using the d-rings on the harness, but they might find their way onto one of the other pieces. With these pieces ready to go, it was time to make the cordura straps that will hold everything together. I wanted to reinforce these straps but not add bulk, so I lined them with white cordura. I cut the white, tacked it onto the back of the blue, cut the blue out and used the Super 77 to tack the edges under while I added the hardware and stitched them all down.

harness-7.jpg
harness-8.jpg
harness-9.jpg

Once the backpack is finished and painted, the clips can be attached to it that will hold the whole backpack together.

harness-10.jpg

Here's how the whole thing looks on the armor.

harness-11.jpg
harness-12.jpg
harness-14.jpg

Next up: gauntlets, gloves and collar. Stay tuned!

harness-template-4.jpg

harness-1.jpg

harness-2.jpg

harness-3.jpg

harness-4.jpg

harness-5.jpg

harness-6.jpg

harness-7.jpg

harness-8.jpg

harness-9.jpg

harness-10.jpg

harness-11.jpg

harness-12.jpg

harness-14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for SMP Designs: How much of a gap between the top of the cloth piece for the stomach and the back of the foam chest piece is there ? I'm making leather armor for a friend in a similar fashion and still working out some of the design kinks

Hey, so sorry, I completely missed this question. Are you asking how much the chest overlaps the torso? It's about 3-4" right now. However, I'm going to be shaving some off the bottom of the cest armor because I just think that lower area is too much.

Amazing! How did you cut the straps so that they fitted perfectly around the suit?

EDIT: I tried to like this topic on Tapatalk but my tablet lagged and jumped and I accidentally disliked it. Is there a way to fix this?

Kind regards, The14thDr

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back