The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread

Master Valon

Here's two screen grabs from the teaser:

So- obviously based on a Sterling on some regard- maybe not actually built on one, but perhaps a casting. New white accent pieces, including on the end cap. Light displays where the Hengstler counter is/should be, and it looked like on the cap of the shortened mag. And, totally new scope! I can't tell if it's pieced together from a real world scope or scratch machined, but it certainly looks like it could be a found part. I really like the new look personally, so I thought I'd make this thread to see if we can start piecing together its construction!

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised when I saw that, as well. It's stretching the look a bit too far in the "shiny futuristic" end, but not too much (I don't think). But yeah going from the OT, where it's all super black, geeblie filled WWII era guns to this is a bit striking.

Definitely sterling based design, don't think I like the changes but then I haven't really liked any of the changes so far. The scope looks weird that high too.
The mag being on the other side makes sense though, now it can be holstered for the right hand. :)

Yeah, I can't tell if they've reversed/mirrored some shots or not. In the shot of the X-Wng pilot, the Aurebesh letters on his flak vest were mirrored. Could have been that they were stamped on or something, so that they are actually mirrored on the actual costume, but between that and the mag, I dunno.

Alright, I get it, a lot of you don't like the design. :lol But was hoping for any contributions regarding if anything visible is a found part, or if the greeblies are fabricated, what the scope may be, etc...

I just relooked at it, and on the back there seem to be two sets of parallel lines that may or may not be Revell piston halves, where they were on the ROTJ E-11. Am I crazy or could t be that?

Look its 30 years later. The Government adopted the M16 in 1967 (I think) but todays M4 looks different. Time passes, weapons change. That being said JJ did manage to frak up the Phaser LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there will be any found parts on this. Those days are over, 3D printers killed it.

Hmmm. I don't know about the white and chrome accents. They should have stuck with one or the other. I think it would have looked better all black. (Or perhasps all white for ceremonial use?) I guess they want to make it look like the E-11 was either re-tooled or upgraded for a new era...much like everything else that was touched.

TazMan2000

I can't parse the second picture. Was the blaster holstered or was it clipped on to the right hip? There are some new details on the new troopers hips that look like it could be a clip.

I'm sort of OK with the shape, but I'm not a fan of the white and black colour scheme - that looks too much like the Rebels toy blaster ...

Last edited:
I can't parse the second picture. Was the blaster holstered or was it clipped on to the right hip? There are some new details on the new troopers hips that look like it could be a clip.

I'm also not a fan of a white and black blaster - it looks too much like the Rebels toy blaster ...

Yeah, as far as I could tell it was being drawn (quickly) from the trooper's right hip. I had to go frame by frame to get that shot, and it was the least blurry of 3 frames showing that position, so of course I could be seeing it wrong.

Look its 30 years later. The Government adopted the M16 in 1967 (I think) but todays M4 looks different. Time passes, weapons change. That being said JJ did manage to frak up the Phaser LOL
I think it's totally understandable that tech improves over 30 years, especially if the shots aren't mirrored and the magazine well is now on the right side of the weapon. However I'm saying the aesthetic look of the white accents doesn't look greatv IMO. Overall I think it looks good, and what the rifle would evolve into over time, but the white is a poor choice. That is unless Apple or the AI from Oblivion is producing these...

Yeah, I can't tell if they've reversed/mirrored some shots or not. In the shot of the X-Wng pilot, the Aurebesh letters on his flak vest were mirrored. Could have been that they were stamped on or something, so that they are actually mirrored on the actual costume, but between that and the mag, I dunno.

Not mirrored. Upside down. It says "Pull to Inflate" and it's upside down so as to be readable to the wearer. So evidently it's a life vest.

ScreenShot001.jpg

I kinda like the blaster. It's close enough to the Sterling, but looks the part of a laser blaster. I appreciate the kitbashing and found parts of the OT but with everything HD now, and production value being so much higher than it was back then, I don't think it's such a bad idea to polish those small details. Clearly they designed it to still resemble the E-11. It's also 30 plus years later. Why wouldn't they get upgraded weapons to go with their updated armor?

Last edited:
Unfortunately i think this redesigning is misguided, we are in a time of tech revolution whereas "they" have had tech forever, or ages at least.
In my eyes its the only thing JJ is doing wrong so far........ Wrong universe.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back