Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Dec 11, 2014, 8:05 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #51

Well I think they meant they used components from air guns for the kick, not necessarily a specific model of air gun.
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 11, 2014, 11:24 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #52

I don't know.

If they built the entire gun from scratch, then wouldn't they just implement their own c02 'blowback' system?

Why purchase a crap ton of air guns, gut them and THEN build a blaster around it just to give the guns a physical and practical 'kick'? They could've just rigged them up with c02 cartridges and made up a simple system in-house, no?
  3. RPF Premium Member Sidewinder's Avatar
    From
    England
    Dec 12, 2014, 4:23 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #53

Easier to buy off the shelf items, strip off any furniture and then encase in a custom made shell - see Doom, Starship Troopers, Pulse Rifles, Fifth Element guns etc...
  4. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Dec 12, 2014, 2:27 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #54

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire grip/trigger assembly is an off-the-shelf air gun.
    From
    Ireland
    Dec 12, 2014, 4:44 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #55

I wager that you are correct on what we see on the troopers right thigh, i believe it to be a magnetic holster.
    From
    Ireland
    Dec 12, 2014, 4:47 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #56

sworrubs said: View Post
    In the next shot, we get a good look at the right thigh: no holster but a strange greeblie - doesn't necessarily look like the blaster clips on, but maybe! Also can see a little of the front of the blaster in right front troopers hand...
    Attachment 410311
    I wager that you are correct on what we see on the troopers right thigh, i believe it to be a magnetic holster.
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 13, 2014, 12:05 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #57

Here is an AirForce Talon SS:

Which when stripped down, looks like this:

Trigger guard definitely looks the part anyway.

And here is a quick (and terrible) mock up in MS Paint:

Obviously the proportions are way off, but you get the idea. The added end cap section would house the compressed air and the casing around the body for the magazine and scope mount sections looks large enough to fit all of the electronics for the lights. Only thing they would really have to modify would be the ability to dry fire. I've been looking through youtube but I haven't come across anyone dry firing these semi auto.

At least I thought I was on to something! lol
    Last edited by RexKramer; Dec 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM.
  8. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Dec 13, 2014, 1:29 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #58

The blaster's trigger guard is thicker. The tank would need to be smaller.
    The new Stormtrooper blaster is actually shorter behind the grip than the Sterling.
    From
    Empire down under
    Dec 13, 2014, 2:25 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #59

I'm leaning more to the REBEL toy blaster look ->
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 13, 2014, 8:33 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #60

Yea, it definitely is shorter in the rear.
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Dec 13, 2014, 9:53 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #61

VegasSkywalker said: View Post
    Attachment 414416

They kind of look like the rebels guns we have at the disney store now. They already have a folding stock on them too.

The Nerf versions indeed, but mirrored
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blaster.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	414880
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Las Vegas
    Dec 13, 2014, 10:02 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #62

I work the Disney Store tonight. I'll pick one up.
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2003
    From
    Las Vegas
    Dec 14, 2014, 11:46 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #63

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	415322 So the back end looks a little short too me. What do you think?
    From
    Rumford, Maine
    Dec 14, 2014, 12:43 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #64

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper blaster?"
    Dec 14, 2014, 8:43 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #65

Holy wow.

Guys,

Really look close and compare the tallon SS to the new TK blaster...

Forget about the tank in the back! That could be easily modded to hold a very small tank.

Look at the angle of the top of the back of the handgrip.

Look at the SHAPE of the trigger gaurd, it is the same shape just made larger by a white plastic cover.

And the biggest tell to me? The little red button sticking down in front of the trigger!!!

But why use 600$ airsofts?

Idk. But by God you may be on to something Rex!

Hell, you may have nailed the first ever ep7 prop found part/donor piece!

RexKramer said: View Post
    Here is an AirForce Talon SS:

http://i.imgur.com/U4492kO.jpg

Which when stripped down, looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/pcbwTtG.jpg

Trigger guard definitely looks the part anyway.

And here is a quick (and terrible) mock up in MS Paint:

http://i.imgur.com/AVzvU4G.jpg

Obviously the proportions are way off, but you get the idea. The added end cap section would house the compressed air and the casing around the body for the magazine and scope mount sections looks large enough to fit all of the electronics for the lights. Only thing they would really have to modify would be the ability to dry fire. I've been looking through youtube but I haven't come across anyone dry firing these semi auto.

At least I thought I was on to something! lol
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 14, 2014, 10:06 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #66

Here is a video of the Talon P, the shorter version of the SS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DelJx1RPhQ

From the info I have collected, there are proper adapters to fit normal Co2 cartridges in the back. A small tube and an end cap would easily conceal the cartridge so there's your gas source.

This air gun also has the ability to be cranked up to around 900 FPS or so. It has 12 power levels I think. The kick you see in the video I linked wasn't even at full power. So there's your kick.

Like I said before, the ONLY thing keeping me on the fence about this, is the dry firing, which you would obviously have to be able to do. This is a single loading air rifle but that doesn't mean the trigger won't engage the valve to release the air when you pull the trigger without a pellet inside. The safety is only activated when the bolt is pulled back to chamber a pellet and the trigger doesn't seem reset when the bolt is pulled. This gun may be able to dry fire.

Even if this was an issue, I'm sure the prop crew could remedy it.
    Last edited by RexKramer; Dec 15, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Dec 14, 2014, 10:58 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #67

I'm trying to remember but have blasters ever been shown to kick at all in the movies? I know in the OT they used actual functional guns firing blanks to generate muzzle flash but I can't recall if any noticeably kicked.
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 14, 2014, 11:05 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #68

I don't really remember any scenes with noticeable recoil.

JJ & co. probably want to portray the newer weapons as more lethal and powerful.

I just hope the DL-44 hasn't been tampered with TOO much. We will probably see a similar if, not the same scope on Han's blaster. Which wouldn't be TOO bad. ANH style with ESB/ROTJ size.
    From
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Dec 14, 2014, 11:44 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #69

Yeah, you can see some recoil (and ejecting brass casings) in the OT, especially the scene in ESB where Leia/Lando/Chewie/Threepio/R2 are chasing Boba to get Han and they're in a fire fight with a bunch of stormtroopers. You can see the (admittedly light) recoil from the Sterlings, and in the white halls of Cloud City, you can easily see ejecting blank casings too. But blanks don't have too much kick at all, obviously due to the fact that the "kick" from live rounds come from the whole "Newton's 3rd Law" thing. With no actual round there isn't much of an "equal and opposite reaction" going on to drive much recoil.
  20. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Dec 18, 2014, 10:31 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #70

Contributors to the Force for Change drive got a link to a Thank You video on Youtube. At 0:05 we see this:

Name:	thankyou-blaster.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	416700
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 19, 2014, 1:02 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #71

Yea I saw this video on the Cantina forums at Starwars7news.com.

The vertical hoppers are loaded, so chances are they are using those to shoot 'dust' for blaster hits or some other type of practical effect.
  22. RPF Premium Member Sidewinder's Avatar
    From
    England
    Dec 19, 2014, 6:03 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #72

OT. Tsk, not one of em in that pic wearing eye protection.
    Dec 19, 2014, 10:20 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #73

Might be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YYJ8_j41Q
    From
    Westchester, NY
    Dec 21, 2014, 12:43 AM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #74

No doubt that is what they are!
    From
    Northern VA
    Apr 28, 2015, 8:52 PM - Re: The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread #75

I like the new blaster. A Sterling would need a TON of mods to make it right but it is definitely based on one and shares a lot of DNA from the E-11