Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 9/26/17

Update time.

I finally had a chance to purchase some printing resin, and once I received it I promptly began printing the rest of the greebs for the T-51 helmet. Right now I have everything printed except the visor. I still haven't decided what I'm going to with the lower ribbed hoses, but other than that I have just about everything else figured out with an action plan ready to roll. These greebs still need work and filling in some areas, so I'll be spending my free time working on them.

Here's what I have so far, with most parts properly fitting where they're supposed to go.

pa 1.jpg

pa 2.jpg

pa 3.jpg

I have the optics bracket assembly pieced out a little better for easier building. Probably gonna need to reinforce the little arms with something when I pour them, but I'll figure that out when I get there.

pa 5.jpg

Still need to do more fitting for the rear tubes and the little hose connectors.

pa 4.jpg

And I decided to tweek the model for the optics assembly. I originally had this as one piece, because in the game it appears to look like one piece. As you might already know, every version prior to this one had a black lens on the optic, and they even showed it this way in the FO76 E3 trailer. In the original concept art for FO4, it all appears to be metal just as it looks in the game. Well, now it'll be a choice for the builder, as I've separated the lens from the main optic, and I can cast the lens in black or metallic.

pa 6.jpg

More to come soon. Stay tuned...…….

Last edited:

Everything looks amazing.

Can you add any structural ribbing to the long arm on the optics? On the inside where it is less visible.

Can you add any structural ribbing to the long arm on the optics? On the inside where it is less visible.

I was thinking of using something to cast inside the bracket to reinforce it when I pour it. Was thinking of thin steel or something.

But yes, one way or the other it'll need to be reinforced. The same for the little arms that attach to it (or hinge to it). I'll probably cut some nails with a Dremel wheel to make little "reinforcement bars" and drop them in when I pour the casts. The arms are not connected to the optics pod, instead they glue into the pod.

Inquisitor Peregrinus I'll be in touch soon about the hoses for sure...………

In other news, I prepared at retro fit part for the left ear. Since we see that it is in there in Fallout 76, I wanna make a version with the left ear as well (although I am still going to make the FO4 version with no left ear first). I'm thinking I will more than likely cast the main shell a second time after adding this left ear, but I am mulling the idea of making the left ear base a separate part to be added when finishing the helmets. We'll see...…….

pa ear 1.jpg

pa ear 2.jpg

pa ear 3.jpg

Also, I have the visor printed and semi fitted. This is actually the second visor I've printed, the first was almost perfect but warped a little on the right side. Warped enough that I decided to print it again in a different orientation. I also decided to thicken it slightly, to make it easier to cast. The second one came out much better, but wasn't trouble free either. I had some rather curious bubbles in my print, not really sure what caused it but I should be able to fix it. However, I noticed there is a slight gap at the bottom on the right side when fitted on the helmet. I may use filler to fix this, evening it out. I may even try to print it again at a different angle again. I think I'll try repairing it first though, and see where that goes.

pa visor.jpg

Last edited:

Update time.

I'm happy to say that the Fallout 4 T-51 helmet is just about done. I've been working on the smaller parts, and finished up the main shell this weekend. I still need to spray the final coat of primer, and will get to that hopefully this weekend. I'll share pics once I do.

What I do have to show is just a small sample of what's been getting done. I have the smaller diameter hose connectors in the back fit to the larger diameter hose tubes. I also polished out the optics lens real nice and shiny. I also reprinted the visor, and while I still didn't get a perfect print, this one was workable. I have it spray primered, and will start wet sanding and polishing tomorrow.

pa tubes.jpg

pa optics lens.jpg

pa lens.jpg

I still have but a couple little things to tend to, but for the most part this baby is just about ready to go. It may be some time until I can get all the silicone I need, but once I do it'll be go time.

In the meantime, while waiting for more materials, I will be resuming work on the FO3 T-51b helmet. Anyhow, I'll have some more pics this weekend.

Last edited:

First prototype for the larger ribbed hose has been printed. I still don't know how I'm gonna tackle these exactly, but I figured having a physical prototype would be a good idea. So far I'm thinking I'd only be able to use these to make rigid hoses, but I'll explore the possibilities as I go, hopefully being able to cast up hollow rubber ones.

Anyhow, I want to tweak the model for them slightly, and will reprint the revision and go from there.

PA HOSE 1.jpg

PA HOSE 2.jpg

Last edited:

The prototype looks great.

What about using the Smooth-on Brush-On? You could brush it into two halves of a two-part mold before closing.
My only tip is that gravity will affect the final part if flexible. I wouldn't try to make the mold with it pre-sagging, that may cause it to sag more.

I wouldn't try to make the mold with it pre-sagging, that may cause it to sag more.

For now, I'm gonna stick with the way I've got the hose shaped. I'm not even sure if I will cast them in rubber. I like the idea of casting them in solid resin, particularly for helmets I'd have set up for display only. I'm not really into cosplay or anything, so essentially all I do is display this stuff anyways. Resin hoses won't dry rot over time, and would hold the sag exactly as seen in game. Two things that are great options to have for your display helmets.

I still would like to try casting some in rubber. But at this point, I can't design parts based on something I've never done before. If they did sag too much, but it was deemed worth it to make them in rubber, I'd just redesign them to better fit that application.

I will be honest, though. My thoughts are if the builder wants real rubber hoses, it would be better to buy real rubber hoses, as many Power Armor helmet builders have done countless times before us.

@Inquisitor Peregrinus I did receive the hoses yesterday and snapped some pics to show you guys. Overall, this type of hose would be perfect in terms of diameter and shape. The necks are long, but could be trimmed to the right size, and the diameter of the necks is just tight enough. You have to wiggle them in a bit, but they go in nice and snug. The length, on the other hand, for these particular hoses is a bit long. You can see in the pics that the hose at this length would sag quite a bit further than the game render hoses do. If you could get these exact hoses, but in a shorter length (about 13-14 inches would be perfect) you'd have a sure fire winner.

Anybody know if you can get these in different lengths? Where the hell do you find these types of hoses in the first place?

jonah hose 1.jpg

jonah hose 2.jpg

In other news, after two revisions on the exact length, I am happy with the prototypes for the game render hoses. I'm much happier with how these hoses enter the rear tubes. These protos will now get XTC resin applied and I'll begin sanding them down. Yay! More sanding!!!

pa hose 3.jpg

pa hose 4.jpg

pa hose 5.jpg

Last edited:

They're (IIRC) Russian gas mask hoses, and, unfortunately, tend to be a standard length (to stretch from mask to a filter unit hung on the jacket). My plan was to fit the existing tails into the rear shrouds, find the right length (count number of 'rings'?), add one extra ring and cut there, fill that last ring with epoxy putty, grind it down to the right diameter for the front mount, and attach thusly. I feel it's cheaper and easier than moulding and casting hollow rubber accordion tubing.

Given the length, compared to what's actually needed, one hose cut in half should be fine.

Interest thread for this puppy has been started in the Classifieds Section, for those who are interested.

T-51 render 1.jpg

Last edited:

My gosh man. You honestly don't see enough builds of the classic armor. Also those Enclave helmet files look so dope! subscribed

So, I'm waiting for materials to arrive to make the mother mold shell for the FO4 T-51 helmet shell. While waiting, I decided to work on the FO3 version a bit. This is the reprinted helmet.

More on this one soon.

FO3 1.jpg

FO3 2.jpg

FO3 3.jpg

Last edited:

Well, I'm happy to report that the mold I made for the FO4 T-51 helmet was a success!

Sadly, the first cast I poured could've been better. :lol But, with almost all my projects, the first cast is usually not so good. I expect to have some cleaner casts soon. Despite the cast's many "ouchies", I'm actually rather elated. The last attempt at a brush on mold left my former T-51b print in pieces, with a mold that didn't even cure right. So this was a vast improvement!

1st cast 1.jpg

1st cast 2.jpg

1st cast 3.jpg

More to come soon...……….

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back