Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 8/14/2018

Thanks! I'm trying my hardest to make them look as good as I can. I'll begin casting little parts this week. Stay tuned!

casts open visors 1.jpg

casts open visors 2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 8/14/2018

Time for some rivets. I've got the smaller ones covered, now I need to find some of the bigger ones that go around the bottom rim. In any case, I like very much how these look. The pilot holes are perfect and allow even and symmetrical placement.

helmet rivet 1.jpg

helmet rivet 2.jpg

helmet rivet 3.jpg

Getting parts trimmed, cleaned and prepared. The real small parts, like the loop things next to the visor, and the thin hose outlets on the back tubes, are reinforced with common nails. I'll get some better pics if I can, but essentially the nails are trimmed and bent so they can be dropped in the mold prior to pouring. The resulting parts are much stronger. This was a real concern, as ONYX resin can be brittle and easy to snap when it's thin. The parts would've been easy to snap off.

Anyhow, that went pretty well. Pictured are the prototype ribbed hoses. They are not the final version, and I still need to start making the final ones. I hope to get them printed soon, so I can get started working on them.

helmet 1.jpg

helmet 2.jpg

helmet 3.jpg

Also, the optics pod is looking good. Still need to find what I'm going to use to pin the pod to the bracket, but the holes are all drilled out and good to go. Both the arms that connect to the bracket, as well as that third little detail sprue thingy, are also reinforced with a nail inside.

helmet optics pod 1.jpg

And I made the lens to the pod a separate part, so the builder can choose between keeping it the same color as the pod, like seen in FO4, or making the lens black as seen classically on the T-51b helmet from FO1 (or how it is in FO3).

helmet optics pod 3.jpg

Anyhow, more to come soon. :thumbsup

Last edited:
Adding the other color accents to my Military T-51 helmet. Now I need to start weathering this bad boy. Visor fits good too. To get a visor this dark, it basically ruins any ability to see through it. But for this helmet, that's okay. This was actually the first cast pulled, and it was way heavier than it needed to be. The following casts I was able to make the proper thickness, but this one is a bit too heavy to comfortably wear, so I don't care if I can see through this visor or not.

GREEN 1.jpg

GREEN 2.jpg

GREEN 3.jpg

GREEN 4.jpg

Last edited:
Started the weathering process on my helmet. I worked on scratches and wear areas. I also started adding the smaller parts. Next I'll do blackwashing and grime, and follow up with rust effects.

lid 2.jpg

lid 6.jpg

I know I'm a bit of a goof, but I'll be making the lamp lens for this particular helmet as seen in game, which is black. Yeah, yeah, I know I wouldn't really be black. But for visual accuracy, which is how I want to do this individual helmet, that's exactly how it looks in the game when the lamp is powered off. I always wondered what the devs were thinking when they colored them that way...…….

lid 3.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question for you guys.

Anybody found a color for the Vault Tec paintjob? I'm looking at a color from Testors (Model Master line) called Ocean Grey. But I swear it looks a little too grey. But side by side (computer window, mind you) comparisons look almost identical.

Thoughts?

I wonder if the blueish grey in the helmet is meant to look like blued steel. (Not actually paint)
That said, the color you highlighted looks damn close, but perhaps you could use both grey and blueish-grey in different amounts to emulate the blued steel.

I wonder if the blueish grey in the helmet is meant to look like blued steel. (Not actually paint)
That said, the color you highlighted looks damn close, but perhaps you could use both grey and blueish-grey in different amounts to emulate the blued steel.

I don't think blued steel was their intention.

The Vault Tec paintjob originates from the Fallout 3/New Vegas modding community. The colors usually being the very recognizable blue and yellow from the vault boy's suit. Very blue, and very yellow. Those would have definitely been painted.

Now, I don't know why they strayed from that in Fallout 4. Both the blue and the yellow got real pale and faded. And the suit didn't have a vault number, like in the mods. Honestly, was kind of a weak delivery if you ask me. But, it is what it is. Anyhow, going off of what it is based off of, I'd say they probably meant for it to be seen as painted. In fact, the devs seemed to get quite a kick out of paintjobs for this particular armor, some getting kind of ridiculous if you ask me (although colorful).

I'd say close enough. You're going to end up knocking it down a little with weathering too.

I think I am gonna go with that color. It's only a semi gloss, not a full gloss, so like you said I'll knock it down a bit. Plus there's a lot of rust in the texture for the Vault Tec suits. I'm actually going to try to use the game texture as my weathering guide for the Vault Tec helmet. Going to do this on a Winterized helmet too. Both are rather rusty, with the latter being even rustier.

Thanks for the input gents! :cheers

I'd go way overboard on the Vault-Tec paint job -- cobalt blue and cadmium yellow... But I'd work up from the bare-metal-look foundation layer (polished silver, per the lore), using subtractive weathering. Mask off where I want the metal showing through, do a primer layer, mask off where the primer has been exposed, do the clean blue and yellow. Then mask off those areas where milder knocking has just scraped through the outer oxidized/faded layer of paint and do the last layer of faded blue and yellow. Then remove all the masking and do topical weathering to finish. This is the approach i took with my Mando plates:

10d4 - Torso armor, painted and weathered.JPG

10d4 - Torso armor, painted and weathered.JPG

More and more new images are popping up of this new armor. That certainly is one hell of a lamp on the top there.

new armor.jpg

Something else I wanted to share. This is actually an old image from the E3 demo, and I'm surprised I didn't notice this then. I've posted about it here, and a few others noticed that the helmet shown in one of the trailers (I believe the E3 trailer) is shown with a left ear pod. In Fallout 4, the only side of the helmet that has an ear pod is the right side, and it's where the optics bracket mounts to and swivels from. In said E3 trailer, the helmet rendered has one on the left as well. At the time, my guess was that they were doing this because the T-51b version in Fallout 3 has ear pods on both sides, and they were trying to mimic that. Kinda like how they're trying to mimic the original pipboy from Fallout 1&2 with the new pipboy.

But, as it turns out, that may have just been fancy work for the trailer, as game photos show it is indeed not on there. Again, this is an older photo, and things will change with the beta having come out. That said, I can pretty much say for sure that the left ear pod on the T-51 helmet ain't gonna be something they care to "fix", and I'd wager that in reality it looks exactly like it does in Fallout 4 to the last detail.

no ear pod in 76.jpg

Now, I don't regret making a left ear retro kit for my helmets. By all means, I like a little variety. But we can pretty much sum up that there is no "Fallout 4" or "Fallout 76" version, they are both the same. I know that they were already pretty much the same, but for me, every little detail counts.

So they are the same versions then... i guess it's the same as in F1/2 where there is also no left ear pod, but only the right one for the bracket...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back