Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

Sooooooooooooooo dope! Did I also see some Skyrim Dragon Priest helmets? Very cool! Oh and hello fellow Taz user :D Cura made me... angry isn't the right word, though wasn't impressed and switched back to Pronterface and Slic3r as well. Anywho, these look DOPE!

Thanks! And good to have another Taz owner on the board! :)

Yeah, Cura let me down, but I can't knock it completely. I've got some good prints off with it. But, that whole "let's just stop working out of nowhere" jazz just won't cut it for these long prints. I'd recommend it to people who print smaller, though. Honestly, I am in love with Simplify3d. Worth every penny.

One neat little feature I'm using right now as a matter of fact, you can set the support material infill to different settings throughout the print. I'm starting the first half of my support material at a lower density, then increasing it towards the top, where it's actually needed. This should save me both a little time, and some filament. A very handy feature indeed.

And, of course, just the way it slices and handles rather large stl's is quite impressive. I highly recommend any Taz owner to consider this very powerful software.

Oh, and those are indeed some Dragon Priest masks you see! I have a build thread for them, you should check it out. Almost done with my new Konahrik masks. :thumbsup

Cura is a great piece of software, so you're right, can't knock it. I think I'm just so used to Slic3r, and that mixed with not quite understanding the functionality bugged me out. I'll check out simplify 3D though. And you're other threads :)!

Well, it depends on how clean the print comes out.

Prints that come off of my Replicator 2, for instance, are usually nice and clean. While you have the grooves from the layers, overall there are little to no imperfections in the print. These types of prints are good for things like XTC3D.

Many of my bigger prints come off of my Taz, though. Towards the tops of a lot of these bigger prints you'll get some pillowing in the layers, or little spots where say it under-extruded for a second and left a little pit. The fact is that XTC is not body filler. I find that rondo is superior in this regard, and I swear by it.

Yeah, it's tuff to sand. But I get over it, and have gotten used to the sanding quite honestly. It's tuff work, but the smooth surface that results is worth it.

Instead of Bondo straight on for smoothing.. you should check this out from Smooth on.. Mold Making & Casting Materials | Rubbers, Plastics, Foams & More! it makes it sandable as well.. and only a little bit is needed..

Yeah, we covered this a page back.

- - - Updated - - -

New print progress on the T-45d helmet. One more cut to print out and the main shell will be ready to put together.

t45 2.jpg

Last edited:

by no means am I saying that rondo shouldn't be done.. I'm just saying XTC helps with the smoothing.. pits and what not, of course you need to fill with something else.. even the spot filler works well for smaller filling area..

by no means am I saying that rondo shouldn't be done.. I'm just saying XTC helps with the smoothing.. pits and what not, of course you need to fill with something else.. even the spot filler works well for smaller filling area..

Indeed. Like I said before, it's really a matter of if the print is good enough. My latest prints for the T-45d lid are what I would call good enough. No pits or pillowing, nice clean print. For these, XTC is really is a good product. It's a lot easier to sand, that's for sure. Sanding rondo can sometimes be like sanding a rock. :lol

Nice, that looks really good.

Thanks bro. :thumbsup

Oh wow this is exciting. These are real. This has piqued my interest in 3D printing. Great rendering as well. That T-45d...

Those are pretty cool helmets dude. Nice job. How durable are they?

Thank you. They are rather durable, the walls are thicker than most care to print, but I prefer thicker walls. The printed prototypes themselves could easily be used as the end result helmet. That said, it was always my intention to cast these, so they'll be more rigid anyways. Plus the rims along the bottoms of both BOS helmets will need to be trimmed some for me to actually get my head in. The rims extend inward too much, and trimming PLA is a royal pain. It's low melting point makes it hard to use power tools, the plastic tends to melt as you grind it making it difficult to keep clean.

the enjoyment is real

Always love to see your printed model :) just amazing!!!

Thanks guys, more to come soon.

It does look like printing the other helmets is gonna have to wait, though. Summer is fast approaching, along with the sudden thunderstorms. Until I get a battery back up, it's not wise to chance such very long prints (longest officially clocked at 82 hours) when sudden storms can pop up. This is of course no matter, seeings how I have much to do with the three I've already printed. ;)

But for those waiting for the Enclave lids, we're gonna have to wait a little bit.

I can't wait for apa! Been wanting a replica since Fallout 2 came out.

Some progress this weekend with the T-51b helmet. Got a good bit of the back cleaned up, a little more still and then a ton of spot checking. And then of course, much work still on the front. But it's coming along!

power armor lid a.jpg

power armor lid b.jpg

power armor lid c.jpg

Cassius has a good bit of work done on the Enclave Mk 2 helmet model, too. Will have some renders of that baby soon! Stay tuned.........

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back