Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

Hey there, small update here.

So, the T-45d helmet is ready for printing! Cassius finished it up and I'll begin preparing it for printing today. Once I've got it printed up I'll post pics here. :)

Progress will be continuing with T-51b as well. I have not had a chance to work on it this past week as I had to go out of town. I expect to pick back up on it next week, just gotta finish up an Iron Man helmet I'm working on, as well as one other side project.

Also, I did (before I left) have a chance to start printing the Enclave APA helmet. However, the size was absolutely way too small. So, I've got it resized and ready for printing, but I will wait until printing the T-45d helmet first, then work on printing this one.
View attachment 464708

Looks like this summer is going to be..............busy. :)

can't wait! love the fallout helmets :)

Could you also send me the game model for the T51b power armor helmet and all. i would love to do a print of the suit!!

Sorry, bud sadly I no longer have the game originals. My PC's hard drive crashed, and while all of my models were backed up, the game originals were not. I have not since installed all the software to extract the game originals, and probably won't as I don't need them anymore.

can't wait! love the fallout helmets :)

Thanks man, but I'm afraid wait we shall. :/

Had a critical failure, basically a bug in Cura, that just stopped this print of part of the T45 helmet. Boy, was I boiling. :angry

failed print.jpg

Gonna be starting this one over. It's a pain, but it's best to just move forward and use what you've learned to help prevent things like that. I'm hoping to have the whole main shell printed in about a week or so.

Last edited:

Shtty. What exactly was the problem? I use Cura too and I'd rather dodge this bullet, if possible.

Sorry, bud sadly I no longer have the game originals. My PC's hard drive crashed, and while all of my models were backed up, the game originals were not. I have not since installed all the software to extract the game originals, and probably won't as I don't need them anymore.

Thanks man, but I'm afraid wait we shall. :/

Had a critical failure, basically a bug in Cura, that just stopped this print of part of the T45 helmet. Boy, was I boiling. :angry

View attachment 469327

Gonna be starting this one over. It's a pain, but it's best to just move forward and use what you've learned to help prevent things like that. I'm hoping to have the whole main shell printed in about a week or so.

I should say my body is ready, but my wallet isn't quite yet :p

Sucks to hear about the printer, but tbh my most wanted one is the t51b ^^

Shtty. What exactly was the problem? I use Cura too and I'd rather dodge this bullet, if possible.

From what I'm reading, it's a problem associated with large .stl's, especially with support material. The problem is only when Cura is driving the printer, though. If it's just the .gcode made by Cura, but driven by Pronterface, it's not a problem. This was the first time I had used Cura to actually control my printer. Gotta say, not impressed. Pronterface may not be perfect, but stuff like this sure doesn't happen.

The problem was something about a runtime error with python..........

I should say my body is ready, but my wallet isn't quite yet :p

Sucks to hear about the printer, but tbh my most wanted one is the t51b ^^

Should have an update by the end of next week on that one. Smoothing has been coming along well, and I finally got myself a pressure pot to cast all the little parts in. Gonna be working on the head lamp assembly first as far as the little parts, along side with the main shell. Pics will be inbound soon.

From what I'm reading, it's a problem associated with large .stl's, especially with support material. The problem is only when Cura is driving the printer, though. If it's just the .gcode made by Cura, but driven by Pronterface, it's not a problem. This was the first time I had used Cura to actually control my printer. Gotta say, not impressed. Pronterface may not be perfect, but stuff like this sure doesn't happen.

The problem was something about a runtime error with python..........

Should have an update by the end of next week on that one. Smoothing has been coming along well, and I finally got myself a pressure pot to cast all the little parts in. Gonna be working on the head lamp assembly first as far as the little parts, along side with the main shell. Pics will be inbound soon.

\\\\o///

Great models fellas, thanks for sharing the build (Subd). I recently started playing Destiny and have been thinking about making a hunter helmet with the same process, already have a low poly model which I'm cleaning up and detailing, it's interesting to have a glimpse into the/my future ;)

Off topic, in one of the photos with you wearing a helmet there are some masks on the wall, I recognize them but not sure where from and it's reeeally bugging me... Can someone put me out of my misery?

Great models fellas, thanks for sharing the build (Subd). I recently started playing Destiny and have been thinking about making a hunter helmet with the same process, already have a low poly model which I'm cleaning up and detailing, it's interesting to have a glimpse into the/my future ;)

Off topic, in one of the photos with you wearing a helmet there are some masks on the wall, I recognize them but not sure where from and it's reeeally bugging me... Can someone put me out of my misery?

If I'm looking at the right image, they're Dragon Priest masks from Skyrim.

Thank you good sir!

The masks you are seeing are my Dragon Priest masks from Elder Scrolls V. Check out the build thread here to see more, and the new one:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/skyrim-dragon-priest-mask-display-konahrik-mask-3d-printed-225412/

Thx drjag.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, never played the game though.

Just had a look through that build, awesome work! How come you use rondo to finish the models, do you find it works better than products like xtc 3d, or is it just because you have it to hand? I've read in other threads that some people use wood filler but I've not tried anything other than bondo so far, just because I have a big tin to use up!

How come you use rondo to finish the models, do you find it works better than products like xtc 3d, or is it just because you have it to hand? I've read in other threads that some people use wood filler but I've not tried anything other than bondo so far, just because I have a big tin to use up!

Well, it depends on how clean the print comes out.

Prints that come off of my Replicator 2, for instance, are usually nice and clean. While you have the grooves from the layers, overall there are little to no imperfections in the print. These types of prints are good for things like XTC3D.

Many of my bigger prints come off of my Taz, though. Towards the tops of a lot of these bigger prints you'll get some pillowing in the layers, or little spots where say it under-extruded for a second and left a little pit. The fact is that XTC is not body filler. I find that rondo is superior in this regard, and I swear by it.

Yeah, it's tuff to sand. But I get over it, and have gotten used to the sanding quite honestly. It's tuff work, but the smooth surface that results is worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Ghost, I hope it didn't sound like I was suggesting you're doing it wrong, I really was just curious as I haven't experimented myself yet. Sounds like I'll need to give rondo a try when I get to that stage.

Keep up the good work bud.

Quick update here.

Slow progress continues on the T-51b helmet, not much different looking so I'll save pics for after I start spraying on some primer.

In other news, got the first cut to the T-45d helmet printed! This is by far the biggest print I've ever achieved, taking over 82 hours to print and requiring over a full roll of filament (lotta support material for this one). I'm quite happy to say that in eighty two hours, the print stayed adhered to the printbed the whole time, no curling or warping going on here!

T-45d 1.jpg

Gonna be starting on the next cut tomorrow. I'll update as progress continues. :)

Last edited:

That's really cool! I think in 5-10 years we're going to laugh about the print time the same way we do about 56k modems compared to high speed internet. Darn kids, in our day we had to wait 82 hours for a simple helmet print!

Great quality! Eh.. eh...now i'm first in the line for Enclave helmet ;D

Thank you, I recently added another software to my arsenal and am really glad to get such a ridiculously clean print. More to come for sure.

And I certainly can't wait to start printing up the APA lid, believe me. One of the ones I'm looking forward to the most. :love And yup, you are indeed first in line for that beauty. ;)

That's really cool! I think in 5-10 years we're going to laugh about the print time the same way we do about 56k modems compared to high speed internet. Darn kids, in our day we had to wait 82 hours for a simple helmet print!

Much thanks indeed! And I sure hope they do get faster in the future! I'm pushing mine as fast as they can go. If I were printing in the "recommended" speeds, that last one could have taken over 100 hours!

But, from all the homework I've done on the subject of printing large stl's, most people seem to be put off by the rather large print times. Believe me when I say, I don't even flinch at the print times, knowing that things will be significantly easier to put together later on. It can be a pain managing such large prints over such a long time span, though. Keeping the printing room at the optimal temperature for so long can be challenging. I'm thinking of investing in some enclosures to help with that.

That is way to cool, loved fallout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks you. More to come, stay tuned.

Sooooooooooooooo dope! Did I also see some Skyrim Dragon Priest helmets? Very cool! Oh and hello fellow Taz user :D Cura made me... angry isn't the right word, though wasn't impressed and switched back to Pronterface and Slic3r as well. Anywho, these look DOPE!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back