Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

I really like what youy are doing here Ghost Minion. I had my first experience of using 3D printed parts only a few weeks ago, but the striations (lines in the surface created by the printing technique) are a pain in the ass to sand away, and I am finding I sometimes lose important detail. How do you plan to combat this problem with your helmets ? I have heard of XTC brush on liquid, as well as vapour baths, but again, whilst they may help remove the striations they also mean your surface detail is no longer as crisp as it should be.

I really like what youy are doing here Ghost Minion. I had my first experience of using 3D printed parts only a few weeks ago, but the striations (lines in the surface created by the printing technique) are a pain in the ass to sand away, and I am finding I sometimes lose important detail. How do you plan to combat this problem with your helmets ? I have heard of XTC brush on liquid, as well as vapour baths, but again, whilst they may help remove the striations they also mean your surface detail is no longer as crisp as it should be.

Thanks man. :thumbsup

I use bondo, thinned down with fiberglass resin. Commonly called "rondo". I apply a very thin amount per coating, brushing it on. Most people don't prefer it because it's a pain to sand, and takes skill to preserve details, especially faint ones. For me, the idea is simple: apply rondo, then sand it all off. What should be left is only the tiny bit in between the print layers.

From there, it's all about primer. Layers and layers of primer. I do a few, sand them down (not all the way like the rondo), and then do a few more. Once everything is looking good, I wet sand and polish the primer down to a smooth, glossy surface. After lightly cleaning with a light duty scrubber sponge, part will be ready for mold making.

Loads of sanding on T-51b. It's finally getting smooth! :D Will be working on this as time permits.

T51 wip.jpg

Also, the Hellfire helmet is printing and I'll have some pics of that by the end of this week, stay tuned!

Last edited:

This looks GREAT.

Thanks bud!

If you like that, wait till you see how the Hellfire lid is printing out! Got half of it done, printing it in only two mammoth cuts! The first half that I printed came out cleeeeeeeaaaaan!!! It was the longest print I've ever done by far, a whopping 64 hours.

Once it's all printed and welded together, I'll post pics. :thumbsup

I love the overall look of the hellfire but I never thought it fit in well enough with the fallout genre...
BUT I am jacked to see how it looks off of a 3d printer.

Quick update. While the second half of the Hellfire helmet is printing, I'm modeling the Enclave Advanced Armor Mk 1 helmet, also known as the Remnants Helmet. So far it's coming out nice. :)

Advanced wip.png

Should be another twenty hours until Hellfire is done printing, I'll have pics soon. Also, bondo work continues on the T-51b helmet, more to come with that soon.......

Last edited:

where you able to find a way to size or ware the hellfire?

Cassius and I will be working on making a wearable Hellfire helmet soon. Right now he's working on finishing up the T-45d helmet, and I'm working on finishing the Remnants helmet. Trying to get both main shells to those printed before summer comes. The prints will take quite a long time, and I want to avoid summer storms and spotty power outages.

It won't be soon, but we will revisit the Hellfire lid. We'll need to make a few changes in the design, but I believe I have a good idea how we will and will do so without the accuracy suffering too much from it. Sizing it up some is also necessary. But it is definitely going to happen. :thumbsup

Funny thing it, it seems like the Hellfire lid would fit over my head if I casted it in semi rigid resin, and was able to flex the sides of the helmet out some when putting it on. Would still likely be too tight, but I may try it anyways just to see.

Some more renders of the Enclave helmet. Pretty much ready to start printing this beast.

remnant wip 1.png

remnant 2.png

And of course, gotta do a Tesla version, too. ;)

tesla wip 1.png

Last edited:

No doubt about it. These will be THE most accurate lids, compared to what's out there now :thumbsup

Do you plan to sell these kits? Enclave(remnant) helmet looks so nice :O

Thank you. Yes, I do plan to sell some kits. T-51b will be the first, hopefully ready for molding mid-summer. Lot of molds to make for all the greebles.

Thank you. Yes, I do plan to sell some kits. T-51b will be the first, hopefully ready for molding mid-summer. Lot of molds to make for all the greebles.
So what would be the approximate price of Remnants helmet? I'm just massive APA fan :)
fan.jpg

So what would be the approximate price of Remnants helmet? I'm just massive APA fan :)
View attachment 459379

Dayuuum! Lid looks nice. :thumbsup

Sorry, can't talk numbers outside of the junkyard per forum rules. When the molding begins, I'll make sure to start an Interest thread proper, and anybody who has stated interest here will get a PM letting them know when I do.

Hey there, small update here.

So, the T-45d helmet is ready for printing! Cassius finished it up and I'll begin preparing it for printing today. Once I've got it printed up I'll post pics here. :)

Progress will be continuing with T-51b as well. I have not had a chance to work on it this past week as I had to go out of town. I expect to pick back up on it next week, just gotta finish up an Iron Man helmet I'm working on, as well as one other side project.

Also, I did (before I left) have a chance to start printing the Enclave APA helmet. However, the size was absolutely way too small. So, I've got it resized and ready for printing, but I will wait until printing the T-45d helmet first, then work on printing this one.

ENCLAVE TEST PRINT.jpg

Looks like this summer is going to be..............busy. :)

Last edited:

Would you be able to send me the game model of the T45 helmet please?. Would Blender be able to open it?

Could you also send me the game model for the T51b power armor helmet and all. i would love to do a print of the suit!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back