Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets

Those are awesome! What's the blue on the helmet on the left? Is it that stuff that helps get rid of print lines? (which I've obviously heard about, but not seen :lol).

Those are awesome! What's the blue on the helmet on the left? Is it that stuff that helps get rid of print lines? (which I've obviously heard about, but not seen :lol).

Yeah, the blue stuff is XTC-3D that I tinted blue. I tint it because it's easier to see if you've applied even coverage. I'll sand all that down to get a nice smooth finish. It's the same stuff I used for the mini nuke build.

Hey guys! Work continues on the helmets. Been putting a lot of time into both T-51 helmets. Hoping to keep the momentum going!

DIInTqa.jpg

vYmcU5C.jpg

And I've begun printing the Enclave power armor helmet. More to come on that in the next week! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Dat F04 helmet <3.

Yeah, I know. I'm particularly proud of that one, too. My first (and only) Power Armor helmet that I modeled myself. :)

EDIT: First and only PA helmet that I've modeled myself and printed. I did model the Remnants helmet from New Vegas, just haven't fully printed it out.

Last edited:

Yeah, I know. I'm particularly proud of that one, too. My first (and only) Power Armor helmet that I modeled myself. :)

EDIT: First and only PA helmet that I've modeled myself and printed. I did model the Remnants helmet from New Vegas, just haven't fully printed it out.
I can't wait to see it painted!

I've been following your ups and downs all along, and waiting until things get closer to locked before committing. I can tell you I am dearly interested in one of your T-51b helmets, whenever. But for right now, something (well, two somethings) occurred to me that I wanted to chime in with...

Per your derived figures from the game models, what do you figure for the overall outer diameter of the hoses, and of the narrower bit that connects to the front of the helmet? I have some gas mask hoses that look pretty darn close, depending on scale. The ends are a bit shy of an inch in diameter, and I don't know if that'd fit the bezel on the facemask of the helmet. I can take and post a couple pictures, with measurements, if you want to see... If they fit the bill, being able to source already-made components instead of having to add scratch-building them to your workload might be nice. :)

--Jonah

I've been following your ups and downs all along, and waiting until things get closer to locked before committing. I can tell you I am dearly interested in one of your T-51b helmets, whenever. But for right now, something (well, two somethings) occurred to me that I wanted to chime in with...

Per your derived figures from the game models, what do you figure for the overall outer diameter of the hoses, and of the narrower bit that connects to the front of the helmet? I have some gas mask hoses that look pretty darn close, depending on scale. The ends are a bit shy of an inch in diameter, and I don't know if that'd fit the bezel on the facemask of the helmet. I can take and post a couple pictures, with measurements, if you want to see... If they fit the bill, being able to source already-made components instead of having to add scratch-building them to your workload might be nice. :)

--Jonah

I'll have to pull up the hose models to check the measurements. I do know that the hose ends are not exact to the size of the hole in the helmet's bezel. The hose ends are just a tid bit smaller, as I expect them to "grow" ever so slightly during the mastering process.

However, the size of the hole in the helmet's bezel is 29mm for the T-51b (FO3) helmet, and it's 25mm for the T-51 (FO4) helmet. So the hoses you're describing could work on either, I suppose.

The way the helmet shells are going to be molded, it'll be completely possible to use real hoses. I'd be happy to see some pics of the hoses you've got.

I was slightly in error. The hose tailings -- the straight bits at the ends where fittings go -- are just over an inch across, not just under. And the whole thing is 20" end-to-end, unstretched. Should easily make it from mouthpiece to rear cowling, one per side. Pics tonight when I get home and can upload them properly.

--Jonah

nothing new on the helmets ;(?

Been working on both still. Doing a lot of the fine tuning on the FO3 version. Will post pics soon, gotta find a new image hosting site as Photobucket has gone to crap.

Went ahead and threw some primer on the T-51b helmet. Here's where the current progress is on the main shell. Lots of work to do, but it's moving along.

t51b a.jpg

t51b b.jpg

Last edited:

And here's the current progress on the FO4 T-51 helmet shell. This one's a bit further along. Couple weeks of elbow grease and fine tuning should get it there.

t51 1.jpg

t51 2.jpg

t51 3.jpg

Last edited:

Alrighty!

Hey guys. Figured it was long overdue for an update here, so I wanted to post up some of the progress I've been making.

I'm finally starting to get back in gear with the PA helmets. I've actually been working a great deal lately, just haven't been posting as much. For a good several months, I was actually not working on anything at all. We'll just cut a long story short and say that 'real life' popped up and grabbed my attention for a bit. No worries or nothing dramatic, but enough to take a rather long break.

Well, break time's over. Time to get things moving. Here's what I've got so far:

The FO3 T-51b reprint is moving along well. Still quite a bit of work and detailing, but the main 'rough in' has been done. A good number of the smaller greebs have already long been casted, and sit in a box awaiting the main shell to be finished. I have a few greebs to print and master, mostly small like the side rivets.

oiYgi1Z.jpg

The FO3 T-45d helmets has been started as well, although still quite a ways off until I'm even ready to spray a first coat of primer. Nevertheless, you gotta start somewhere. None of the greebs have been printed for this one yet, and will be some time until I do. For now, she waits.

RRd69FR.jpg

The FO3 Enclave Power Armor helmet (sometimes referred to by fans as APA Mk 2 or X-02) has been mostly printed out. I need to print the collar part at the bottom, and the smaller elements. The main portion sits sealed and waiting, the back door portion has been sanded down and is ready for primer and spot check, as well as a minor bit of fitting. It'll be some time until I get to really digging into this one.

O6GGqjj.jpg

Pretty much the same deal with the Hellfire helmet, it sits sealed in XTC resin and awaits it's day. Will likely be saved for last in terms of work order, mostly because the helmet will only ever be able to serve as a display piece. Due to it's original design by Bethesda, the helmet is not wearable as there is a big rib along the inside that prevents my head from passing. Even if the rib wasn't there, the overall size and dimensions as compared to all the other helmets would make for an uncomfortably tight fit.

UJjjcp4.jpg

While not a Fallout 3 helmet, I'll be updating the progress on my FO4 T-51 helmet here for now. The helmet shell is very close to being finished, with the spot check phase going very well. Also been cleaning up the sharp details. This is the helmet I've pretty much been putting all my time into the past week, working daily to get it ready for casting. A few of the little parts have been printed, and were printed on my SLA printed in fine detail. I also printed the rear hose tubes yesterday, and will be sealing those up and sanding them out soon. I'm hoping to be casting this puppy up by mid autumn.

vfv1rzA.jpg

JDgrdjd.jpg

And if all that wasn't enough, another project I've put some time into as summer was ending. Will be doing all four versions. Will post a separate thread for them in the near future.

McIMQOe.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 9/26/17

Little bit of progress this week on the FO4 T-51 helmet. Almost done spot check on the main shell, and have cleaned up some of the little parts as well.

littlebits1.jpg

littlebits2.jpg

littlebits3.jpg

littlebits4.jpg

More to come this week!

Last edited:
Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 9/26/17

Some progress on the Fallout 4 T-51 helmet...…

EDIT: Sadly, the photos in this post were lost. Sorry!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back