The CW's "The Flash" Costume Build

WebSlingingHope

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that after the success that was known as Halloween, I figured I could do one more quick build before the year is over. Lo and behold, to tie the year end calendar, my final build will be The Flash from the hit CW show.

Hopefully, I'll get this done by late December, it really depends on my studies, but this past Friday I slowly started getting ready to build the pieces.

Again, I need your help, as I'm on a tight budget, I need to think of a way to make the cowl/mask/hood/whatever you want to call it; this is one of the trickiest builds I've done so far but with enough hard work, I hope this too, shall pull through.

"My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive."

So the parts that are 3D sort of are almost done, I just need to find a darker red, or maybe just darken the colors.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416274821901.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1416274821901.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 1,408
All the best of luck on this build! I have to say, when I saw pics of the suit on Google, I wasn't too impressed. But, having seen it up close, it's pretty cool!

Okay guys, I have a problem.

I can't find the proper way to necessarily create the cowl, and by that I mean I don't know how to do the professional sculpting and latex cast one, so I was thinking of there being a simpler way to do it. Preferably making it both a hood/cowl like in episodes shown.

I just want to point out that they use a filming illusion in the show. Barry has two cowls: one that he wears, and one that flops in the back like a hood. You will never actually see him take the cowl off, the camera cuts to him just after removing it from his head. See this picture (from IMDB): his cowl goes up his neck and actually has a chin piece, so wear does that disappear to when he removes the cowl? I'm not trying to ruin the magic, just telling you that what it appears to be on the show is not what it actually is.

If you are dead set on having an accurate cowl, I would start saving whatever money you can and get in touch with The Rocketeer about his cowl that he is currently running. (Granted, it may be too late, I know the run is closing soon.) If not, you could do a fabric hood type cowl, and just ignore the chin/front neck piece, however that will be very hard to actually make conform and stick to your face once it is on.

It's possible to make the cowl with the chin guard, all you need is for your neckpiece to stretch up to under your chin then have velcro on it. The chin guard would then attach onto the velcro but also still be attached to the cowl. You can just take off the velcro underneath and that means you don't have to carry around a chin guard when you just want to be 'Barry Allen'.

Hey guys.. so there are 2 cowls he uses on set.. One is a 2 piece cowl and one is a single piece cowl. I know this because I have scans of both, the one I make is the one piece cowl that he uses in the hero shots. The 2 piece cowl was created after a few episodes because it was becoming an issues of overheating and cumbersome to remove the one piece all the time. I think the hood is when they take off the 2 part cowls head piece.. Just my 2 cents :)

I just want to point out that they use a filming illusion in the show. Barry has two cowls: one that he wears, and one that flops in the back like a hood. You will never actually see him take the cowl off, the camera cuts to him just after removing it from his head. See this picture (from IMDB): his cowl goes up his neck and actually has a chin piece, so wear does that disappear to when he removes the cowl? I'm not trying to ruin the magic, just telling you that what it appears to be on the show is not what it actually is.

If you are dead set on having an accurate cowl, I would start saving whatever money you can and get in touch with The Rocketeer about his cowl that he is currently running. (Granted, it may be too late, I know the run is closing soon.) If not, you could do a fabric hood type cowl, and just ignore the chin/front neck piece, however that will be very hard to actually make conform and stick to your face once it is on.
Thanks for the input, I'll actually try and save up some money to buy a proper cowl from him, well... Once I obviously get a job. :p hahahah
Hey guys.. so there are 2 cowls he uses on set.. One is a 2 piece cowl and one is a single piece cowl. I know this because I have scans of both, the one I make is the one piece cowl that he uses in the hero shots. The 2 piece cowl was created after a few episodes because it was becoming an issues of overheating and cumbersome to remove the one piece all the time. I think the hood is when they take off the 2 part cowls head piece.. Just my 2 cents :)
I was actually thinking of splitting the cowl but with my fabric, form it so that it splits in half but remains in one cowl

It's possible to make the cowl with the chin guard, all you need is for your neckpiece to stretch up to under your chin then have velcro on it. The chin guard would then attach onto the velcro but also still be attached to the cowl. You can just take off the velcro underneath and that means you don't have to carry around a chin guard when you just want to be 'Barry Allen'.
You know, I've actually thought about your method and will try to show a design sketch tonight, hopefully my friend can help me out with this situation since she knows how to sew amazingly.

Now this is nowhere near done, I still have to add in the details of the suit, but the texture of the shirt I used definitely gave it not necessarily a leather-y effect, but more of the underarmor type of fabric it looks like in set photos, the only leather-y part I believe is the fabric where the logo is placed as well as numerous other parts.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416985917525.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416985917525.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 400
Back with an update, now I haven't got the full suit on. I just wanted to show you guys my progress, yes I have done the mask, yes it comes off like a hood in the show. I just need to puffy paint the yellow streaks on the shirt and make small details to the mask/gloves then I'll be done. I don't see this as a full on 100% replica if you guys are wondering.

Made a ring out of some fodder being inspired by Reverse Flash's [emoji1] but obviously this one is for Barry

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418615042696.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418615042696.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 287
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back