another Spinner . 6th scale. printed

I'm actually just looking forward to working out the lighting. I made a revolving light for a 6-th scale loader years ago but the servo was hidden in the body. I'm not sure I can do them on all the top lights maybe just the middle on. I have to say i'm enjoying this project.

May be able to help out - I've been experimenting with LEDs to simulate rotating beacons- just published some results here http://www.antsnest.net/blog/?p=516

Brain was whirring at 5AM this morning about how to make them better and more practical, and was thinking about a small jig I could CNC out of resin - then wondered if it would be a candidate for 3D printing...

Fantastic work by the way!

This is on the "Insane Modeling Level" scale. I'm like you on that one flimsy, I want to see them lit:cool

Brain was whirring at 5AM this morning about how to make them better and more practical, and was thinking about a small jig I could CNC out of resin - then wondered if it would be a candidate for 3D printing...

Fantastic work by the way![/QUOTE] this looks great . what would realy sell this effect is putting it in a hollow resin yellow ( vac form ) cover, so you see the light reflecting . That would make the rotation read better. lovely job .

This is fantastic. You're making PLA look nearly as good as SLA stuff; I can't get small detail bits nearly that nice!

BRS- stickers 3.jpg I couldn't just blow up the stickers from the 1/24 kit because they just wouldn't hold up. So I decided to draw them from scratch in illustrator, only problem was I could not find any of the fonts, So i took a deep breath and hand drew them all. I have had to use a bit of creative license on the window sticker as the only reference I have is blurry.BRS sticker.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good (I like the effort of doing it all by hand:)) Mike is right, Microgramma Bold Extended is the right font.

May be able to help out - I've been experimenting with LEDs to simulate rotating beacons- just published some results here http://www.antsnest.net/blog/?p=516

Fantastic work by the way!
spinning light.JPG I sudenly thought I should give you the dimensions of the lights just incase this thing ever gets of the ground. you never know. :) . Your video is fantastic at half the speed this would really work.

Last edited:
Is the dotted dome in the side profile the hole in the lamp or is the whole thing hollow? If it's the hole, what's the diameter?

Been working on a couple of methods for getting 6 LEDsinto the unit which will give an even smoother effect...

Love the folding wheel!!

Is the dotted dome in the side profile the hole in the lamp or is the whole thing hollow? If it's the hole, what's the diameter?

Been working on a couple of methods for getting 6 LEDsinto the unit which will give an even smoother effect...

Love the folding wheel!!
the dotted line is just to represent where the bulb would be the actual thing is going to be a .5mm vac form so theres quite a bit of room. The main problem will be how many wire will be needed . luckily all the wires on the set car are visible so wouldn't need to hide them.

the dotted line is just to represent where the bulb would be the actual thing is going to be a .5mm vac form so theres quite a bit of room. The main problem will be how many wire will be needed . luckily all the wires on the set car are visible so wouldn't need to hide them.

OK That's not so bad then. There would need to be 5 wires for a 4-LED setup or 7 wires for 6. I'm using single core wire-wrap wire in my prototype which is very thin, you could twist all 5 into a single strand that's about 2mm dia.

OK That's not so bad then. There would need to be 5 wires for a 4-LED setup or 7 wires for 6. I'm using single core wire-wrap wire in my prototype which is very thin, you could twist all 5 into a single strand that's about 2mm dia.
2mm wouldn't look to out of place at all . This is really interesting when I get a set of lights out I'll send them to you if you like just to mess around with. It might be a wile before I start casting things out though.light wires.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back