Ash vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

Given they renewed it for a second season before the first has even been shown they must be confident in the other director's work.

My only gripe is that AoD is not referenced, guess there were rights issues, and the sex scene went on too long for no other reason
really then hey we can do this since it's Starz! LOL

Small revelation for us prop people, the Necronomicon has artwork of a marijuana leaf and some stoned soul in it if you've ever seen the pages.
Well it helped open up the door for the evil in this show by clouding Ash's judgment. Which granted isn't hard!
Nice touch I wonder if it was intentional or not, Either way I like that I can work that into a "prophecy" of the book.

Given they renewed it for a second season before the first has even been shown they must be confident in the other director's work.

My only gripe is that AoD is not referenced, guess there were rights issues, and the sex scene went on too long for no other reason
really then hey we can do this since it's Starz! LOL

Small revelation for us prop people, the Necronomicon has artwork of a marijuana leaf and some stoned soul in it if you've ever seen the pages.
Well it helped open up the door for the evil in this show by clouding Ash's judgment. Which granted isn't hard!
Nice touch I wonder if it was intentional or not, Either way I like that I can work that into a "prophecy" of the book.

Not only is the book different (which has happened with every film), it looks like Ash's Homelite XL has some slightly different modifications to it as well (I could be wrong on this, though, with as brief shots we get of the chainsaw).

So, with what we've seen so far, we've got another version of the Necronomicon that can be done as a prop. We also have the doll that attacked Ash that could be done (anyone got any ideas on what they could have used for the base?) and we've got the all-red Homelite XL. Any other potential prop replicas from the first episode anyone notice?

Neither. A Stevens...
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Evil_Dead_II#12_Gauge_Double_Barreled_Shotgun

So the Stoeger is our connection to AoD is this series.

Ash calling it a Remington in AoD I like to pretend he was just repeating an often used sales speech he had memorized.

Ah, good to know.

You know, now that you point it out, it kind gets me wondering. He worked in Housewares. How would he know how much a double-barrel Remington in the Sports Department costs when its not in his department? Unless he actually worked in multiple departments, it makes no sense. But then again, this is Ash we're talking about. If he can make a mechanical hand from a piece of a suit of armor, scratch-build gunpowder from using just the chemical formula and rebuild a completely destroyed Delta 88 to turn it into a Deathmobile (and do all three during the middle ages), I'm sure he probably has the stock and prices of S-Mart for the year memorized. XD

Ah, good to know.

You know, now that you point it out, it kind gets me wondering. He worked in Housewares. How would he know how much a double-barrel Remington in the Sports Department costs when its not in his department? Unless he actually worked in multiple departments, it makes no sense. But then again, this is Ash we're talking about. If he can make a mechanical hand from a piece of a suit of armor, scratch-build gunpowder from using just the chemical formula and rebuild a completely destroyed Delta 88 to turn it into a Deathmobile (and do all three during the middle ages), I'm sure he probably has the stock and prices of S-Mart for the year memorized. XD

He'll do all that and screw up royally elsewhere.
He's some kind idiot savant action hero for sure. LOL

He'll do all that and screw up royally elsewhere.
He's some kind idiot savant action hero for sure. LOL

You know, after watching the first episode, I think I've come to a bit of a hypothesis about Ash and his behavior. I think the reason why he was acting like an arrogant A-hole in AoD, and why he continues to act as such, is because its a defense mechanism. I mean, if you look at the first two films alone (and if you make the edit points to where all three films tells one long story), you can see him starting off as a nice and slightly goofy guy. Factoring in that he had to kill his possessed sister, friends and his girlfriend, the Evil constantly mind-screwing with him and then, taking off his own possessed hand, having to be stuck in the cabin for another night, dealing with a new group of people who turn up and then coming face to ugly face with the Evil itself, it's enough to cause a lot of guilt and possible some psychological trauma. So, in order to cope with everything and to avoid further trauma, I think he begins to treat people like he was an arrogant A-hole because he doesn't want to care about people and lose them (which is why he had such a change of heart in AoD not only after the people at the castle were disappointed with him , but after Shelia was taken, because he realizes he does still care). So, it would account as to why he's living in a mobile home, not hanging out with friends from work, spending nights smoking dope and "getting blind drunk" and having meaningless sex: the events of the films were so traumatic, he still doesn't want to have people to care about. And I think that by the end of the first episode, he's just not only taking on being "the chosen one", he's finally opening himself up to care about people once again.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you've got to admit, Ash would probably make an interesting psychological student's case study.

Campbell had made some comments about Ash having PTSD and was a veteran.
Which is true, he was not in the military proper but he did in fact engage in combat in a war.

Campbell had made some comments about Ash having PTSD and was a veteran.
Which is true, he was not in the military proper but he did in fact engage in combat in a war.

Didn't know that. But I definitely agree. The guy went through something horrific, something I think would have sent anyone else straight to the psych ward. But the fact he is getting back into the fight shows that instead of letting it defeat him, he's going to at least fight tooth and nail against the Evil. If they want to swallow his soul, they're gonna have to leave a stack of dismembered bodies as tall as the Sears Tower before he's willing to allow them to have it. And I think that's a good sign. Can't wait for the next episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this season.

Anyone else notice the American flag in front of Valuestop was a 48 star flag????

This is filmed in New Zealand, do they know we added a few states?

No offense meant, just joking. I should have put the winky face. ;)

It's odd though, curious why they did it.

Maybe this show's reality takes place in one where America never acquired Hawaii and Alaska as states? Wouldn't surprise me if the show's gonna do a bit of world building in the process.

I Want to see his co-worker Pablo wear a "Vote for Pedro" shirt just once.

So who here is going to do a run of "Little Lori" Dolls?

Last edited:
Not only do I like the continuity gags/easter eggs in the first episode, but I also like that they had the false teeth bit (a reference to the Behind the Scenes of the films, as Bruce had his teeth knocked out by a camera on a motorcycle, either filming the force through the cabin shot at the end of the first film or the same shot for ED2).

But here's an interesting question: What happened to his gauntlet from AoD? I mean, I would think he'd still have it, as it's a functional replacement for his real hand that seems better than the hand-crafted wooden one. Knowing luck he probably got drunk and lost it on some sort of bet, or just misplaced it somewhere. Even then, it'd make you wonder why he didn't just make another one with modern materials. Hopefully, they may address it in the show.

Not only do I like the continuity gags/easter eggs in the first episode, but I also like that they had the false teeth bit (a reference to the Behind the Scenes of the films, as Bruce had his teeth knocked out by a camera on a motorcycle, either filming the force through the cabin shot at the end of the first film or the same shot for ED2).

But here's an interesting question: What happened to his gauntlet from AoD? I mean, I would think he'd still have it, as it's a functional replacement for his real hand that seems better than the hand-crafted wooden one. Knowing luck he probably got drunk and lost it on some sort of bet, or just misplaced it somewhere. Even then, it'd make you wonder why he didn't just make another one with modern materials. Hopefully, they may address it in the show.

Guessing it's just something they couldn't do......

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back