Interstellar Suit - Share your ideas/research

joeranger

Sr Member
OK, I have a little less than a year for Halloween 2015.

On initial review, it looks like a white tyvek suit with a backpack, shoulderpad, vest and neckring combo would simulate enough for a costume version.
Add patches, greeblies...

Please share any info or research you find on making the real suits. Hi res pics. behind the scenes pics.
I'll start. It was forty pounds and Anne Hathaway's favorite costume ever!
http://whatsuphollywood.com/2014/11...ey-and-anne-hathaway-have-different-opinions/

interstellar-matthew-mcconaughey-anne-hathaway-david-gyasi1.jpg

The shoulder straps look like they are resin blocks (you can see casting bubbles) attached to a strap with a quick release buckle. The armor material might be fiberglass cloth. If you look closely at the first pic in the link, you can see the casting bubbles on the side of the shoulder strap and the cloth unraveling on the upper portion of the pec armor piece.

I would love for you to tackle this. I still remember your Shuttle costume.

Last edited:
Okay when I put together my Apollo suit, the original plan was to put together a spacesuit from the movie "Moon" with Sam Rockwell. However doing my research I switched gears and went with the Apollo suit.

Reason I bring this up is that the Moon suit looks similar in that it isn't a huge bulky suit like those 60s-70s style Apollo suits.

attachment.php

So for the Moon suit, I would have gone with a pair of white ski/snow pants, and a white ski jacket, gloves etc. For the Interstellar suit, I would do the same and look for a skiing suit/gloves for the base, and work from there. The TYVEX suit isn't going to have much shape to it other than the Stay Puff Marshmallow man. ;)

Have to run to work, but I'll give my input on the helmet, vest later. :)

Kevin

Attachments

• spacesuit 001sm.jpg
    spacesuit 001sm.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10,563
I am looking forward to this build, I saw the film and loved it. The suits are really cool looking, clearly they are going for the Mercury Right stuff vibe. Unlike the Apollo overalls, these are two piece like the shuttle suits without the connection ring. There isn't much out there on the web yet but with the film released more reference should be coming out.Here's a few imagines I have gathered
.B0vJ0nuCQAEKb0X.jpgClose-up.jpg

Last edited:
I found this shot of the suit without the chest backpack.
Without chest backpack.jpg
I love the suit's color combinations, the white, dark grey and light blue, also the material textures.

That buckle on the shoulder strap looks like it could be a cobra buckle. They are used in a lot of military applications. I have a gun belt that uses one. It's not an exact match, but it looks like that's what's underneath. if you look at the manufacturer's website, there are several varieties. I don't know how to post a link. But you can look up Austrialpin and look at their cobra buckles. hope that helps, at least a little bit. The "polymer gt cobra" looks like the closest match.

Last edited:
I don't agree, I think the buckle is much simpler like this metal buckle:
Metal Buckle.jpg
Compare it to the one's on the suits.
Buckle Closeup.jpg
You just have to to find one with the correct shape for the clips.

Those are great reference shots, if only there was a ruler in the shot. Figuring out dimensions from photos without some kind of reference is a real problem.

Thank you guys. Very excited about this.
My concern will be the helmets. You can buy plastic spheres online or I could buy cheap motorcycle helmets and modify them.
I am making 4-5 of these so cost is a big issue for me.

The helmet will be your greatest challenge, I have been building the helmet in solidworks but again not having the basic dimensions is a problem. I will post some shots when I am getting close to the final shape.

I found a good base for the suits. Used Bulgarian work coveralls, Off White. Can't post link for some reason.
Used Bulgarian Military Surplus Work Coveralls, Off-white - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...alls-off-white?a=1687405#sthash.f2HzMXgA.dpuf
Used Bulgarian Military Surplus Work Coveralls, Off-white - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...alls-off-white?a=1687405#sthash.f2HzMXgA.dpuf

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back