Interstellar Suit - Share your ideas/research

For Dr. Mann's spacesuit, does anyone know what the triangle patch says? I can make out the LAZARUS NASA but not the rest. pwTGQw5.jpg

Attachments

• pwTGQw5.jpg
    pwTGQw5.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 588
Greetings, all.

While I am not new to making, I am brand new to the RPF. I am planning to build the Interstellar suit, so I registered to join in the discussion. I have read through this entire thread and I was wondering if anyone is still pursuing this project? Or have any of you completed your Interstellar suit? I studied costume construction as a minor in college, so I am pretty handy with textiles and most things under the heading of sewing. I don't know what use that might be to any of you, but I am happy to offer help or advice if it is needed. Did any of you come up with a sewing pattern? I saw that Taylor Jean had posted some terrific sketches.... I will start looking at the reference material and try drafting out pattern pieces. In the meantime, if anyone is still active on this thread, I would love to have the 3D print files of the final backpack, chest piece, etc.

Mike

Okay, so I realize I may as well be talking to the wall until someone else chips in, but...

I have been looking at some of the reference photos, specifically those found here. It's interesting that parts of the suit, which appear white in some shots, are actually a cream color. You can see the stark difference in color very well in the picture of Cooper walking alone in the snow on Dr. Mann's planet. I am pretty certain (based on the fabric's apparent texture) that the elbow, knee, and shoulder pads are covered with dacron sailcloth. The texture of this white color here or this cream color here seem right. A yard of either is pretty inexpensive, lightweight, durable, and doesn't fray when you cut it (according to reviews). Of course, there are heavier weight dacrons if that is what you prefer.

I have also been looking far and wide for the white fabric used on the sleeves and pants. Someone earlier in the thread suggested waffle weave fabric, but I don't think that's right. Whereas waffle weave has indentations like a waffle, the fabric used on the actual suits is the opposite — it appears raised, almost embossed, or even quilted. I can't tell which, and I'm having a hell of a time locating anything similar. I found one fabric, but it's a knit, not woven, which means it may be too stretchy. Look at color #32. I will update you all when the samples arrive.

Mike

Last edited:
The fabric for the outer sleeves and lower legs arrived. The color is bright white, which doesn't show in this picture due to the lighting.

20170621_235311.jpg

I also spent this evening drafting a 1:6 scale sewing pattern. It's pretty basic and doesn't include any of the armor, pockets, or panels. I plan to add all of that later. My poor figure model suffered an injury in the process.... By the way, if you want a 1:6 scale figure model like this, you can find it on Amazon.

20170622_221940.jpg

A few people posted links to rubber fishing boots and the like, but I decided to buy a pair of white military issue boots on ebay. I paid about $60, including shipping. I think they look similar enough to the boots used in the production costumes to get by, not to mention I LOVE the air valves and military text on the sides.

s-l1600.jpg

My focus has always been the hardware of the suit, mainly because i can't sew to save my life. These boots have the right shape, with a little modification( adding quilted material to hide the laces). You should watch the extra material on the "Interstellar" Bluray about the construction of the suits, I have watched it many times. Although most of it isn't the finished suit it very informative on how they built them.
Boots-1.jpgBoots-2.jpg

Last edited:
There's a suit on display in the Into the Unknown exhibition at the London Barbican. Unfortunately it's displayed rather high up, and the lighting isn't great - here's the one shot I took at the time:

BtHCc1e.jpg

There are some other great spacesuits there - Trek TMP (the orange one), Sunshine, Alien...

Jonno thanks for posting that picture. The lighting isn't ideal, but that shot will definitely aid in designing the sewing patterns, especially for the bottom half of the suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick mockup of the Lazarus patch on Mann's suit. Not sure if it's the right font, the images are a little blurry.
Lazarus patch.png
Officially restarting on this, hopefully I can get it finally finished in April.

Double post: making progress on the hardwares at the moment, will start working on patterning next week and hopefully get the basic outline done next weekend.
IMG_1560.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1560.MOV
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
Well, I am done for the time being. My build isn't very good but had a lot of fun. Turns out PLA on fabric wasn't a very good idea, and neither was printing the entire backpack.
IMG_1710.JPGIMG_1709 (Edited).JPG

I'm looking to start my own project over the summer. I've read through most of this thread, and I'm curious what base clothing you used. I saw early on someone suggested coveralls, with is a good idea, but in the movie they are able to take the top off with the pants + suspenders underneath. Did anyone go a different route?

I'm looking to start my own project over the summer. I've read through most of this thread, and I'm curious what base clothing you used. I saw early on someone suggested coveralls, with is a good idea, but in the movie they are able to take the top off with the pants + suspenders underneath. Did anyone go a different route?

Self drafted the two pieces. I mainly used neoprene.

Let's pull a Lazarus as resurrect this thread ;) Google was turning up some low-quality results for this flag, so I made an attempt to recreate it.

Accurate: planets - traced from a photo of the screen-used flag
Less accurate: the typeface. Couldn't find the exact match to save my life, this one has a similar "1960s/1970s" vibe that I was getting from the original though.

This pic is scaled down from the giant version I made, which is suitable for 3'x5' sublimation dyed custom flag printing. This is also a "6 color" version, removing the gradient from the swoosh.

I'm resurrecting my suit project now. Hoping to reach Captain April again for files to use in 3D printing the helmet and other parts.

My theory on the white/ivory is that the ivory is white when dry, but looks ivory when wet (as seen in the planet scenes due to extremely wet conditions). That said I haven't landed on a Cooper suit recreation or a Mann suit recreation yet. I like the greys and oranges of Mann's suit.

View attachment 1513297

I am putting up the files for my backpack and buckles here. Unfortunately the SAFER files were lost during a reformatting. Feel free to peruse through them. Eventually I want to make a better version of the suit.

Attachments

• STL files.zip
    663.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 113

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back