Interstellar Suit - Share your ideas/research

You are going to need one of these:
Nasa chest logo.jpg
I recreated it in illustrator, here's a jpeg.

I continue to refine the helmet shape;
Helmet study-3.jpg
I just got the wonderful book "Interstellar:Beyond Time and Space" it's has many clear shots of the helmet and spacesuit
for reference.

I have revised the helmet using good reference from the Interstellar book.
Helmet Final Study.jpg
The dimensions are based on the mercury helmets. 12" dome would work as the core for helmet.

Wow, looking good so far. Just got a peek inside the book and bought it online. Artwork looks amazing. Cant wait to read. The more I keep looking at the Helmet study, the more I keep wanting one. Capt April, is your plan to customize the helmet previously listed and then put it together? I know the visors are usually interchangeable, but to add to the helmet and have a special visor cut out correctly would seem one possible way to go. I do like the fact that if you customize a motorcycle helmet, it could still be used as such.

It seems like I have high jacked this thread but that was not my intention, I am trying to lend a hand to an interesting project. At this point I have no plans to create my own helmet although if one were offered as gift in return for my help, I wouldn't turn it away.

I nabbed one of the Endurance mission patches they were giving out at SDCC (paid too much to admit for it on eBay). I'd be happy to donate it to someone here if someone had the ability to reproduce them for a run of them. I know it's a small piece but I figured I'd offer.

About the shoulder buckles. First when the backpack is off, would the front shield be donned aswell or is that permanet part of the suit. Also where are the other set of buckles or attachments, it seems difficult to attach a backpack on just 2 buckles, I see the backpack has 4 points from the concept art. But wonder if those use the same attachment system.

Also I have acces to a 3D printer, and would love to print out some of your files for this suit.
I wonder if 3d printer ABS be suitable as a material for the buckles? Because the special edging on the recieving part seem kinda hard to make.

There are four buckles to attach the backpack:
Cooper Profile.jpgFull body.jpg
It would make sense that the chest part be attached to the suit. As for 3d printing since the helmet was built in Solidworks exporting the files for a 3d printer is simple. I have not modeled the buckles but they appear to be metal which according to the book would make sense since the backpack weighted more than 20lbs. Even a non functioning dummy version of the backpack would have some weight to it I don't know if I would want to take chances with an abs printed buckles.

Glad to help, I love this design, I am more interested in the suit itself, I can built a helmet and all of the other hard parts of the suit but I have no experience on how to tailor the cloth part.

Glad to help, I love this design, I am more interested in the suit itself, I can built a helmet and all of the other hard parts of the suit but I have no experience on how to tailor the cloth part.

This requires some training, I'm now in the proces of also building my own diving drysuit, which is similar to a spacesuit. It's definitely one of the hardest things I've ever tried to build. I started with some general sowing skills and then fitted and made some coveralls for myself, guess that helps but just ask people arround you with experience (and yes those are probably all women over 40) for some advice. Also sowing patterns for coveralls.

Hope this is usefull!

I start with the suit and build from it. For the base of my suits, I am going to use Bulgarian army work coveralls which are an off-white. I will use white spray paint to add a multi-tone. They need to look old. Very old.
Suits.jpg

I just realized that the patch may be of some help in measuring things out. A listing on eBay said the Edurance patch was 3 x 3.5 inches. I'll work out some rough patterns for the base when I can. Does anyone know of where we can find the metal rings/seals for the helmet, gloves, boots?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back