Subscribe
    From
    Madison, WI
    Apr 16, 2018, 11:18 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #651

Any idea when V2 levers will be back?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 16, 2018, 11:29 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #652

Chungc94 said: View Post
    I recently bought a clamp from KR Sabers for my KR/89 sabers graflex. It's a blank clamp but I was wanting a little more accuracy to TFA/TLJ.

Just wondering has anyone tried out Roy's clamp cover out on an 89/kr clamp yet?
    Do you have a Romans near by? If it works on a Romans it should work on a 89sabers

I just threw a old clamp cover I had laying around on a graflex 2.0 and it seams to work fine, alittle filing on the bend tabs to tuck the clamp cover up higher and it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Apr 16, 2018, 12:48 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #653

halliwax said: View Post
    Do you have a Romans near by? If it works on a Romans it should work on a 89sabers

I just threw a old clamp cover I had laying around on a graflex 2.0 and it seams to work fine, alittle filing on the bend tabs to tuck the clamp cover up higher and it worked fine
    Unfortunately, my clamp cover doesn't fit well with a 89sabers clamp replica, because the 89sabers clamp (together with the body parts) are smaller than a vintage. Therefore the cover is too loose and it's really hard to make it fit.
  4. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Apr 16, 2018, 12:49 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #654

Kylash said: View Post
    Any idea when V2 levers will be back?
    No clue yet. It will probably take more than a month.
    From
    Germany
    Apr 17, 2018, 5:06 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #655

Can anyone recommend a special adhensive / epoxy for Roy‘s T-tracks?
    I am building a Vintage TFA using mostly his parts...
    Trying my „standard“ 2K epoxy I wasn’t able to achieve a permanent bond between Graflex and the T-tracks.
    If someone knows which kind of plastics the tracks are made of, I could try a specialized glue...
    As I don‘t want to ruin my Vintage with multiple tries, any advice would be appreciated!
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 17, 2018, 7:18 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #656

scide said: View Post
    Can anyone recommend a special adhensive / epoxy for RoyĎs T-tracks?
    I am building a Vintage TFA using mostly his parts...
    Trying my Ąstandardď 2K epoxy I wasnít able to achieve a permanent bond between Graflex and the T-tracks.
    If someone knows which kind of plastics the tracks are made of, I could try a specialized glue...
    As I donĎt want to ruin my Vintage with multiple tries, any advice would be appreciated!
    I always use to use 2 part epoxy, and dyed it with black chalk. This was messy, and when I added too much in areas you could always see it, made for a pain to clean up

I was turned on to e6000. Itís a strong silicone glue, smells horrible, but holds amazingly!!

And if it oozes out in a area you can see. Wait until it gets hard and you can cut it with a razor knife

A lot of the time I can remove the excess with just rubbing my finger on it

Never had a grip fall off with e6000, and I swear by it

From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Apr 17, 2018, 9:26 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #657

Super glue.
  8. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Apr 17, 2018, 9:38 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #658

I'm a big fan of 2 part epoxy. Make sure that you prep the metal surface by wiping it down with rubbing alcohol or, even better, naptha, and make sure that you rough up the under side of the t track with some sand paper. If any epoxy oozes out, you can wipe it up with an alcohol-dampened paper towel. If you mess up or want to redo the t track for whatever reason, put the saber in the freezer for a few minutes and you can snap the grips off. Any excess epoxy can be removed with vinegar. I've used this method to swap t tracks on numerous sabers (my parks MPP has had no fewer than 4 different sets of grips on it). Anytime I've had a grip pop off, it was because of me not mixing the epoxy enough or not prepping the surfaces (due to impatience/laziness). I can't say how well epoxy stands up to dueling, but for regular handling, epoxy is my choice.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Apr 17, 2018, 10:47 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #659

I've had to use super glue to keep T-track in place when drilling and installing screws or rivets. Epoxy always failed.

E-6000 is my favorite but it takes a LONG time to set up. almost a few hours, so doing all 6 track in one day is pushing it
  10. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 17, 2018, 11:36 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #660

thd9791 said: View Post
    I've had to use super glue to keep T-track in place when drilling and installing screws or rivets. Epoxy always failed.

E-6000 is my favorite but it takes a LONG time to set up. almost a few hours, so doing all 6 track in one day is pushing it
    When I use e6000 I do 1 grip a night, and I canít let it stay in my basement itís too cold

From
    Germany
    Apr 18, 2018, 10:03 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #661

Wow, thanks for all the answers!
    I did order some 3M 8005 glue specialized for low energy plastics yesterday, maybe this works better than my prior attempt.
    If it also fails, I’ll try the E6000. Stay tuned.
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #662

3M Rug & Carpet Tape

I used this to attach rubber grips to a Heiland back in '95 and they are still in place.
    The tape on the roll is still usable and new.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4181837.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	998.2 KB 
ID:	810693
    From
    Virginia
    Apr 18, 2018, 8:32 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #663

Can e6000 be removed similar to 2-part epoxy? Or are once the grips on, they are on for good?
  14. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 18, 2018, 8:38 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #664

Jediscum said: View Post
    Can e6000 be removed similar to 2-part epoxy? Or are once the grips on, they are on for good?
    I have cleaned it up with acetone

From
    Virginia
    Apr 18, 2018, 9:11 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #665

I have cleaned it up with acetone

Thanks Halliwax, Can the grips be removed the same way via freezer? I've never used either e6000 or 2-part epoxy so I'm just trying to find the best method for me.
  16. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Apr 18, 2018, 9:25 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #666

Thanks Halliwax, Can the grips be removed the same way via freezer? I've never used either e6000 or 2-part epoxy so I'm just trying to find the best method for me.
    If u have never worked with either, I would but then both, and try gluing popsicle sticks to something... like a paper towel roll or something

The e6000 I think is easier to work with, but you can take my advice honestly because Iím a big fan of it, so Iím going to promote it always lol

I always used 2 part epoxy, loctite to be exact. Only problems I found with them was it was a brittle bond. I would clean the flash with acetone, score the under side of the grip, and rub some sand paper opposite to the grain on the flash

The epoxy held the grips on great, but I dropped the flash once on my carpeted floor and 2 of the grips popped right off

I have also popped them off by hand, I had to use some force but I could remove them

I canít seem to do that with e6000 unless I use heat, or acetone

I love how easy and clean the clean up is with e6000. I JUST got done working with it 5 minutes ago on another project. I clean the excess off with popsicle sticks and skewers.

I apply e6000 with skewers

But I would buy each type, and play around first on some random stuff. Get a handle for working with it then make your own decision on what you like the most

Then report back and tell us how you feel!

From
    Virginia
    Apr 18, 2018, 10:39 PM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #667

I

But I would buy each type, and play around first on some random stuff. Get a handle for working with it then make your own decision on what you like the most

Then report back and tell us how you feel!

This is definitely the smart way to go. I'll pick up some of each this weekend. I don't plan to remove the grips in the future, but I like the idea of being able to just in case.
    From
    Germany
    Apr 19, 2018, 8:26 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #668

Thanks to mgoob's idea, I tried some indoor 3M double sided tape I usually use to install Led strips...
    I would definitely recommend this. In my opinion it holds up as good as the 2K epoxy I tried first, without the fear you might have using permanent glue on a vintage Graflex.
    This way you can easily correct the position of single grips until you reach something you like. First thought about redoing it when my new glue arrives, but I will probably stay with this technique. I used a 3D printed tool for getting the positions right, will upload this to thingiverse after some corrections in CAD... There is also one on shapeways if you don't want to do your own - this really helped me.

Quite happy with the result. So thanks Roy for selling these beautiful parts.

Name:	IMG_5181-privat.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	810954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5182-privat.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	810955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5184-privat.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	810956
    From
    Virginia
    Apr 19, 2018, 8:33 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #669

scide said: View Post
    Thanks to mgoob's idea, I tried some indoor 3M double sided tape I usually use to install Led strips...
    I would definitely recommend this. In my opinion it holds up as good as the 2K epoxy I tried first, without the fear you might have using permanent glue on a vintage Graflex.
    This way you can easily correct the position of single grips until you reach something you like. First thought about redoing it when my new glue arrives, but I will probably stay with this technique. I used a 3D printed tool for getting the positions right, will upload this to thingiverse after some corrections in CAD... There is also one on shapeways if you don't want to do your own - this really helped me.

Quite happy with the result. So thanks Roy for selling these beautiful parts.

Name:	IMG_5181-privat.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	810954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5182-privat.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	810955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5184-privat.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	810956
    That looks great. I'd be happy if I could get my notches cut and grips installed as well as that.
    From
    Germany
    Apr 19, 2018, 8:50 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #670

That looks great. I'd be happy if I could get my notches cut and grips installed as well as that.
    Haha, I had a friend do the notches for me (using a needle file)... Ruined 2 sets of grips prior to this. So don't hurry with this...
    From
    Germany
    Apr 19, 2018, 9:12 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #671

Btw: When riveting the D-ring to the bottom of the saber, start with the outer one, to prevent the Graflex' bottom from bending - resulting in a gap under the not riveted side of the D-ring... I had to remove inner rivet to fix this. This might happen only when using steel rivets, but maybe this helps someone to get it right on the first try.
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Apr 19, 2018, 11:07 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #672

Other benefits using tape include:
    very thin
    glue doesn't leak out the sides
    From
    UK
    Apr 20, 2018, 2:00 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #673

Totally agree. I used double sided tape on my grips and they are still very firmly in place

Name:	TFA0.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	637.0 KB 
ID:	811106
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Apr 20, 2018, 9:30 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #674

@scide

Glad to have helped.
  25. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    May 12, 2018, 8:51 AM - Re: Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available) #675

Hey Roy, the blue print prints came out amazing!!! Thanks for doing this, Iíve wanted these for a long tim!!

Photo I took is crappy, I did this at 2am and didnít want to light up my place in fear of waking up my roommates (parents)

16x20, itís printed on a thick piece of paper, real thick, real sturdy. Much better deal then having my local staples print these out for me

Really appreciate it!!