John Carpenter - Lost Themes (Music Album)

Vivek

Master Member
Filmmaker John Carpenter is releasing his debut album in 2015 | The Verge

They have released the first track titled Vortex and I have listened to it a dozen times already, will be on loop for a while. Can't wait to get the whole album Lost Themes next year.

If you're a fan of John Carpenter's music or 80s instrumental music in general, give Vortex a listen.

Statement from Carpenter:

"Lost Themes was all about having fun. It can be both great and bad to score over images, which is what I’m used to. Here there were no pressures. No actors asking me what they’re supposed to do. No crew waiting. No cutting room to go to. No release pending. It’s just fun. And I couldn’t have a better set-up at my house, where I depended on (collaborators) Cody (Carpenter, of the band Ludrium) and Daniel (Davies, who scored I, Frankenstein) to bring me ideas as we began improvising. The plan was to make my music more complete and fuller, because we had unlimited tracks. I wasn’t dealing with just analogue anymore. It’s a brand new world. And there was nothing in any of our heads when we started other than to make it moody."

Sounds interesting.
I have Escape from NY, Big Trouble in Little China and the Thing sound tracks that I used to listen to all the time.
First track from Big Trouble was always playing while driving in the rain. :D

Thanks for the heads up on this. Carpenter is an underrated composer in my opinion and I will definitely add this to my collection.:thumbsup

The most interesting thing next to the music is that it's going to be available on vinyl record as well. I may have to pick it up one way or the other. :)

Been looking forward to this.

Nice to see John having a blast with his son helping him out!

Was fearing that "unlimited tracks" meant that the classic Carpenter sound would be lost, but atleast Vortex sounds amazing! Looking forward to this. Thank you Vivek! :thumbsup

You can almost see him sitting there at the synth with a smoke in his mouth, just jamming.

I'm loving Vortex. It sounds to me like a mix between some of his themes for Halloween III and Big Trouble in Little China. Just plain awesome.

Now he needs to build a movie around the music.

Truth be told, just about everything he does sounds terribly familiar and could be a scrap from any single film after Halloween.

I like him a lot, don't get me wrong. Just saying the guy is predictable and hardly a virtuoso.

Truth be told, just about everything he does sounds terribly familiar and could be a scrap from any single film after Halloween.

I like him a lot, don't get me wrong. Just saying the guy is predictable and hardly a virtuoso.

Oh I agree, like many composers and musicians he has a very distinctive sound and reuses themes. I just happen to love the sound he latched onto and the various ways he tweaks it.

Seriously, listening to the music of both albums makes me wish that this was just a preview of the soundtrack for a new John Carpenter film.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back