Tusken Raider costume for my 7 year old son - 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

CGS2

Several months ago my son decided me wanted to be a Tusken Raider for Halloween.

I thoroughly enjoyed making this costume for several reasons. We're both Star Wars fans, which makes it real easy to dig into. Back in the summer I created a Lego Boba Fett costume for my, but decided that I wanted to submit the Tusken Raider into the contest. This is my most complete costume that I've created (most costumes I've built fall victim to deadlines and usually lack some detail or accessory) having completed all of the accessories and details that I desired. And of coarse, my boy had to have a Gaffi stick and so he was quite happy with it.

This costume offered a variety of materials and techniques which made every process interesting. having never worked with leather before, I was quite proud of how my custom handcrafted bandoliers turned out. Building costumes for children involves sensitivity and compromise. It's difficult sometimes, but I have to remind myself that a child is wearing it and has to endure any discomfort or challenges. WIth that said, the right materials were chosen and modifications made, in order to make the costume as light as possible and ensuring good vision.

In building the Tusken Raider, I utilized some of my experience working with foam (making mascots) especially in creating the head and Gaffi stick.

Re: Tusken Raider costume for my 7 year old son - 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entr

HEAD:

The head shell was constructed using 0.5" plastazote foam. The initial form underwent several tweaks before I arrived at a size and shape I was satisfied with.

I started by creating half a sphere comprised of 8 wedges. Once sized and cut, I shaped the wedges using a heat gun. The wedges were glued with spray adhesive. A strip was added down the middle to change the shape from sphere to a more oval skull shape.

photo 1-15.JPGphoto 2-15.JPGphoto 3-15.JPG

I then added a extension to created the depth of the head.

The front panel was added and tweaks were made to finalize the shape. Openings for eyes were cut along with the mouth and blood spitter. I countersunk the eye sockets in order to create a stronger bond when glued. The muzzle was added and later shortened, lengthened and then shortened again. Spray adhesive was used, however, #M can spray doesn't hold great when there is tension involved. I had to reinforce the seems with hot glue.

photo-4-15.jpgphoto-1-11.jpg

Once the rough head was constructed, I did a fitting on my son and realized the head was too tall. I removed 0.5" from the overall height in order to shrink the head.
The eye sockets, spikes and blood spitters were formed using 1/8" sintra (PVC foamboard) Initially I placed temporarily placed the pieces as a mock up and later made changes to position.

photo 2-13.JPGphoto 1-14.JPG

Considering a 7 year old would be wearing this costume during the night walking up and down stairs of city homes, I modified the eye sockets to try and maximize his vision while still maintaining the look. I shortened the length of the eye stocks and widened the tapering on the end.

The pieces were cleaned, sanded and primed before painting. I sprayed each piece silver then scuffed with sandpaper once dry. Next I spritzed each piece with yellow and blue spray paint to create a tarnished look. The final colour application was diluted acrylic paint (burnt sienna) to finalize the look. The pieces were attached using both E-600 adhesive and hot glue.

photo 5-14.JPGphoto 3-12.JPGphoto 5-10.JPG

The teeth were carved from plastazote foam and covered with 3 coats of flexbond before painting. The same painting process was used as other silver components.

photo 1-12.JPG

I then added the soft leather around the inside of the mouth. This was a little tricky until I understood exactly how it was achieved.
I started with a length of leather (remember, its a kids costume so the dimensions are smaller) that was longer than it was wide.Starting at the top of the snout, I glued the edge down and started creating pleats by folding the leather onto itself. Using hot glue, I glued down the pleats, or folds, and continued on around the opening. Ideally, the leather used is both soft and thin, this way, you can achieve a lot of pleating and it's easy to manipulate. The leather I used was very soft, but a bit thick, therefore making it challenging to fold.

photo-5-7.jpgphoto-4-8.jpgphoto-4-7.jpg

Next I added the leather strips around the snout. I bought a single piece of cowhide that was a uniform length which didn't allow any flexibility with sizing of each strip. Once again, because its a child's costume I was able to vary the size by starting with the fixed size and cutting some off. The leather was wrapped around the mouth using hot glue and layed according to reference photos. Next the piece of leather was added between the eyes followed by the same leather used inside the mouth to fill the small gaps between the blood spitters and eye sockets.

I used a khaki coloured fabric for the head bandages. I tore and washed the strips leaving them to hang dry over night. This gave the strips a natural weathered look.

The strips of fabric were applied using hot glue and were systematically applied in a random type fashion - make sense?

Next the head needed to be weathered and the colour needed to shift towards a darker more olive tone seen in Star Wars Episode 4. I lightly sprayed the finished head with black spray paint before applying chalk pastel. I layered a mix of earth green, charcoal and Terra Cotta. I then smudged the chalk into the fabric grain. I may seal the head with a matte fixative spray but will have to test it first. I don't want any type of sheen on the surface.

Here is the finished product.
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Tusken Raider costume for my 7 year old son - 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entr

BOOTS:

I purchased a cheap pair of girl's boots for the costume as I wanted something long and that fit snug around the leg. The boots were then treated and weathered in the same fashion as the head. I hot glued the strips around the boot - leaving the sole bare, and weathered with the same colour combination of chalk pastel.

photo 1-2.JPGphoto 2-2.JPGphoto 3-2.JPGphoto 4-1.JPGphoto 5-1.JPGphoto 3-1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 3.JPG

GLOVES:

I used a pair of kids gloves from the dollar store which I then dyed with tea. The colour came out a little strong for my liking so I sprayed them heavily with black after final photos were taken. I hot glued strips of fabric - again using the same technique as the head and boots, to the gloves in order to hide ant skin showing.

photo.JPG

GAFFI STICK:

Using a photo reference I found which I believe to be a Gaffi used in the movie, I created a paper template of the design. I read that the Gaffi is 34" in length so I scaled the size down a bit to be more suitable for my son.

The head and shaft were carved out of plastazote foam, sanded with a dremel and by hand.

A steel bar was added between the shaft to keep the foam from bending. I then attached the head to the shaft using hot glue and a piece of dowel for strength.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 1-1.JPG

I added another piece of dowel to the end of the carved shaft to act as the steel extension on the Gaffi. The fins were created with sintra and the sharpened tip was carved out of plastazote foam for safety reasons. 7 year old boys and sharp weapons are potentially hazardous.

photo 2-2.JPGphoto 3-1.JPGphoto 4-2.JPG

Once finished, I coated the Gaffi with Flexbond before painting.

I painted the Gaffi with acrylic paint and silver spray paint. I weathered the "metal" shaft and tip much like the Tusken head components. The twine was my son's idea. A little customization.

photo 5-2.JPGphoto 3-2.JPGphoto 2-3.JPGphoto 4-3.JPGphoto 3-3.JPG

BANDOLIERS:

I created 2 bandoliers for the costume and were a mix of what we see in the movie. i chose to create the WW1 Ottoman Empire Turkish bandolier and the P-1903 bandolier.

I based the Ottoman off of an auction image I found which claims to be the one worn by Peter Diamon in Episode IV. It has 16 pouches but I decided to go with 8 as my son would be wearing an outer robe.
I created a template design loosely based on the photo. I changed the metal details from bronze to zinc.

I found nice sized leather scraps from a local fabric store that were $1 a piece. I bought 5 pieces and had some leftover.

started by cutting out the basic bandolier main strap. I then cut the pouch flaps and lops that would be glued to the front and back of the main strap. I added the small eyelets to each flap before gluing to the back of the bandolier. (Note; I found that hot glue worked well provided you glued each piece on the raw unfinished side of the leather) The loops were added by cutting a slit in the leather and gluing from the inside backing.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 3-2.JPGphoto 1-1.JPG

Once that was complete, I added the bullet loops. I cut a long strip of leather and wove it through the bandolier, cutting slits and pulling the leather through. The loops were glued on the inside.

photo 2-1.JPGphoto 3-1.JPGphoto 4-1.JPGphoto 5-1.JPGphoto 2-2.JPG

I planned to use working snaps but decided to go with rapid rivets due to cost. Same esthetic without functioning. I also riveted a buckle to each bandolier.

photo.JPG

I weathered the bandolier using sandpaper, chalk pastel and acetone. I also bent and glued a couple of flaps over, and knocked out an eyelet to give it more authenticity.

photo 4-3.JPGphoto 1-3.JPGphoto 3-3.JPG

BANDOLIERS CONTINUED:

Next I created the P-1903 bandolier. I found a template for the pouches online and then made a couple of modifications. I widened the bottom of the pouch slightly, and redrew it to be symmetrical, it appeared to be off a bit. I also had to shrink it in order to be proportionate to my son.

Again, I made the main front plate before cutting the pouch templates. In both bandoliers I doubled up my leather to give it more substance.

photo 3-1.JPGphoto 2-2.JPGphoto 1-2.JPG

In this case, I used rivets to attach the folded pouches to the bandolier. 4 rivets were used and penetrated the pouch and strap at once. Rapid rivets were used instead of the Sam Brown buttons (budget) I rivited the first pouch in the center, and added 2 on either side.

photo 2-1.JPGphoto 5-1.JPGphoto 4-1.JPGphoto 1-1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

I weathered this bandolier in the same manner as the Ottoman.

photo 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 2.JPG

ROBES:

I'm not much of a sewer and was fortunate to have a co-worker Kris Sachs put together the Tusken robes for me based on measurements and specifications supplied. A big thanks goes out to Kris for his help with this. The inner robe was made from muslin, and the outer robe from a much thicker, heavier fabric. I can't remember the exact name but it was listed as drapery. It has a nice weave and base colour. It was also the end of a roll and I got a good price on it. I spent a lot of time sourcing fabrics for the outer robe. I wanted something special for it, and kept looking until I found a fabric that resonated with the costume.

Once I received the finished robes I had to trim the outer robe along the bottom and then weather. I kept it simple and only used black and grey spray paint and a spray bottle filled with tea. I dusted the robes with spray paint, focusing on high traffic areas. I then spritzed the robes with tea concentrating on the bottom, neckline, cuffs etc.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 3.JPG

BELT:

The belt was made from muslin. I started with a sewn rectangle panel made to the right circumference then punched 6 large eyelets into the belt. 3 per side. My son actually attached the eyelets. : ) Once finished, I tea dyed the belt and rinsed any excess tea from the fabric. I then pinched and creased the fabric until the pleaded look was created. I then added some diluted acrylic (which helps stiffen the fabric) and left it to dry. Once dry the belt resembled what we see in episode IV. SOme light black paint and a little chalk pastel were added for effect. I used a piece of rope to tie the belt from the back.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto.JPG

RESPIRATOR:

I created his respirator based on some of the tips found on some of the websites. However, I built the cylinder from scratch using sintra . I heated a length of sintra and wrapped it around a thick cardboard tube in order to form the cylinder. I also build the tapered end caps. Water valve fittings were used and a couple of 2L pop bottle caps to finish off the design.

photo-1.JPGphoto 3-1.JPGphoto 1-1.JPGphoto 2-1.JPGphoto 4-1.JPG

Once built, I used Bondo glazing putty to fill areas before priming.

photo 5-1.JPG

I sprayed the respirator witha base coat of silver. Next I scratched the silver with fine sandpaper before dusting ti with yellow and blue. Finished it of with some diluted back and burnt sienna.
photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

I then wrapped the cylinder with a piece of leather and added the neck loop made out of hollow aluminum rod. I tried a couple metal rods prior, but found them to be too heavy and difficult to bend without the aid of a torch. The aluminum does crimp, but if you're patient, you can achieve the curve without too much issue.

photo.JPG

PROOF PHOTO:

Unfortunately, my son is with his mother until Wed. and cannot be in costume. I hope this is enough info for approval.

photo.JPG

BRAVO! Beautifully done!

Dude, you're a great artist and an awesome Dad. I don't think Tuskens come any cuter than this. :)

Your costumes are awesome! Very nicely done. Your Boba Fett costume inspired the one I made for my son. Cheers!

Thank you James. My love fuels the costumes.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you redhulk, I'm very flattered. I'd like to see what you made for your son.

:):thumbsup

Thank you James. My love fuels the costumes.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you redhulk, I'm very flattered. I'd like to see what you made for your son.

Awesome work, CGS2. Very creative use of foam for the gaffi!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back