1/144th Prometheus scratch build

TheNylonGag

Gone but not forgotten.
Ello,
Well my friends, there comes a point in everybody's life when you just have to take on what will probably be a suicidal project, one that you will probably never ever finish but you still start it anyway, and who knows, along the way it might even be fun.

securedownload.jpg

The Prometheus in 1/144th scale, 46" long and 32" wide, engines over 6" in diameter and over 13,1/2" tall, this is going to be fun.
I asked on a few modelling and fan sites for links to blueprints of this ship, but there is very little out there, no studio scale model was built so the only reference of the actual ship will be screen caps, it is not going to be an exact replica but my interpretation of the Prometheus from all the info i can get.

So, NO RIVET COUNTERS, please

But, If anybody has anything they think might be useful and i can use, please don't be shy

One source i did find thanks to another member here on the RPF, thanks Matty Forman, is a guy call Russel Tawn, who built his own 3D computer model of the Prometheus with some video landing sequences and everything on UTub, which is excellent. I contacted Russel and asked if i could use his stuff for reference and he was very helpful and gave me his blessing, have a look at the excellent work on his site.
Thanks Russel for your help, it is much appreciated.

http://digitawn.co.uk

I have a basic starting point, internal structure,
I think i can make everything else, not sure how yet with some things but i'm sure a solutions will present themselves nearer the time.
I have been in contact with our very own IEDBountyHunter, Al, who has been giving me some very useful construction tips, thanks mate

I have been planning this for some time in my head, how i will handle certain things, i will need molding equipment and a vac table will be useful but later.
Got hold of some useful catalogs for more build supplies

stuff%2520001.jpg

My biggest worry is the lighting, there are a lot of lights on this puppy, strobes, flashers, running ligths, pin points, bar lights and also the cockpit, i also want to create a swirling engine effect with super bright LEDs but my electronic skills are pretty crappy so that might be challenging, i did contact Randy Neubertat at VoodooFX

http://www.voodoofx.com/index.html

and asked for his help and he was also very generous and said tell me what you need and we can figure something out but lack of cash is a real issue right now, i've had to prioritize what i'm buying

I just spent over $300 on some basic suppys to get me started, the light controller will feature later in the build, i did get some fiber optic cable and a few LEDs though but only a few basic pieces.
So, this is what we got so far:

A piece of 1/2" MDF board 2' X 4' the actual finish width is 0.438"

My stand,

stuff%2520003.jpg

Machined two recepticles for above stand, one for horizontal set up and one for verticle set up

stuff%2520006.jpg

Hole saws and a new arbour

stuff%2520005.jpg

Bondo

stuff%2520008.jpg

Epoxy resin and hardener

stuff%2520011.jpg

Pink foam

stuff%2520014.jpg

Tubes

stuff%2520015.jpg

four, 24" x 24" 1/8th" thick styrene sheet

stuff%2520018.jpg

Primer, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm primer

stuff%2520016.jpg

Small LED set

stuff%2520009.jpg

And some Hardware

stuff%2520017.jpg

I will still be working on the MK2 but as a side project
I should have my first report in a couple of weeks time

So as always my friends
Stay tuned and get comfy

This might take a while

Gag

I'll follow this closely. Wanted to have a detailed model of this, too, but the lack of references prevents me from starting one... whish they would release orthogonal renders to every CGI spaceship, it wouldn't cost them any extra money.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Thorsten

You only have to build the engine section once and cast it. It's the one thing that CGI makes easy, perfect copies of parts. I will be watching this build, the movie was a disappointment but not the designs, everything about the film was beautiful, the sets, costumes, props and ships.

Well a jolly good evening to everyone
All the usual suspects along for the ride, your support and encouragement, means alot fellas so thanks
Now, your faith in me is a bit scary but anyhoo..........lets see what we can do

I did see Bens stuff, http://www.benprocter.com/prometheus/prometheus-exterior/ very very nice indeed, useful reference but not the same as was used in the film but like i said in my first post, this will not be "Canon", i decided it will be "Water Pistol" at best

I just want to say that i am an old school builder, i do not have access to a 3D printer or a lazer cutter (i have had offers) or any other fancy technology, i am an engineer, so i try to figure stuff out with the skill set i have at my disposal and my very meger budget to make this thing. I will be using everything i learned from the MK1 and MK2 builds with me on this one but most of what i will do is still a little 'trial and error', my scratchbuilding motto. but i think it will work, famous last words.

I had divided the ship into shapes and planes and decided that my datum surface is the bottom section, not the drop down hangar but the roof of the hangar, that plane.
So i scaled up from the various printouts i had and came up with this,

Marked,
stuff%25200012.jpg

Cut and cleaned.

stuff%25200016.jpg

Then i considered the various bulkheads, the main one being attached to our datum plate/surface

Marked,

stuff%25200018.jpg

Cut and cleaned

stuff%25200112.jpg

Screwed

stuff%25200117.jpg

stuff%25200120.jpg

Cut and attached various side panels

stuff%2520122.jpg

stuff%2520124.jpg

stuff%2520127.jpg

Drilled some holes for the central pivot and internal cross braces and the mounting point was attached

stuff%2520136.jpg

stuff%2520137.jpg

stuff%2520141.jpg

Added some foam between the two plates

stuff%2520150.jpg

stuff%2520151.jpg

Ready for gluing

stuff%2520158.jpg

stuff%2520159.jpg

stuff%2520160.jpg

Had a small re-think about my internal structure and decided to make some alterations
Marked out some redesigned bulkhead plates

stuff%2520162.jpg

Cut cleaned and dry fit with the neck tube in position

stuff%2520165.jpg

Cut a similar plate for the back end

stuff%2520170.jpg

stuff%2520173.jpg

stuff%2520174.jpg

dry fit

stuff%2520178.jpg

Screw both outer pieces together with base and bulkheads all in final position

stuff%2520182.jpg

stuff%2520183.jpg

Basic foam shaping

stuff%2520188.jpg

Big sucker, that is a 36" scale next to the ship

stuff%2520190.jpg

Added some fill in foam blocks

stuff%2520193.jpg

And started to sand the foam

stuff%2520195.jpg

stuff%2520196.jpg

stuff%2520197.jpg

stuff%2520198.jpg

And thats about 24 hours worth of work so far

Stay tuned
Gag

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back