1/144th Prometheus scratch build

I'm not a builder but am really watchng this come together. As a complete novice though I'm wondering - why have you used so many large tubes in the initial construction - is it for strength?

Thanks chaps

What a great thread! I realized just now how big it is, with the front and back sections attached!

Out of curiosity: Why did you change the construction method from foam+filler to plastic sheet now? I never worked with foam, does it have any advantages for the cetral piece?

Thorsten

The main reason is that the bends were easier, only in one axis, so the plastic can do that relatively easily plus i need to be able to put lights in the side of the body piece later.

I'm not a builder but am really watchng this come together. As a complete novice though I'm wondering - why have you used so many large tubes in the initial construction - is it for strength?

It is for strength but also its a good way of being able to line everything up. the tube will aslo be able to channel wires later.

Thanks for the questions guys.

Gag

Gag - that is stunning!
Really love to see your progress. Any plans for a own design in that size? I always think, Studio Scale modelling is cool - put it kind of limitates also...
Anyway - your skill toolbox is prepared for bigger tasks :)
/struschie

Evening Experts,

I have a very serious question for the brother/sisterhood of all things nerd/geek/fanboy/artist/creator/modeller/prop builder.....thatever.

Today, I watched the movie, .......well, the part's with the ship in it to be honest, because lets be honest,

Prometheus the movie- 0 - Visual Perfection 1

After watching said movie, i did in fact notice, that, the number of flashing or strobing lights on the engines was zero

Now the other last week i had a 50 minute conversation with Mr VooDoo himself, Randy, Thanks mate for bieng so honest
and well, just so cool to chat with. You gave me some ideas and i thought i had discovered my solution, four light units, one per engine with strobes, constants and flashers in a small curcuit board for under $60.

But then I watch the film.

I said that this build was more water pistol than cannon, but i think my lights could be better than the original. Strobe, flashers, markers and enough left over for the power unit.

But the down side is the cost, 5 x $60 is a lot of lolly.

I think reality/cannon i could get away with one, may be two.

Just interested to know what you think?

Gag

Hi!
Great progress, Gag-san!
I have no rights to advice this matter because I could only use some Xmas illumination LEDs.:p
Totally 300shells are not too expensive to compare with the value of this great model!!
Go buy them!:lol
In fact, here are so many experts for the matter like this. :darnkids

All the best guys coming to you!!

katsu

Thanks for the input chaps

I have just found out that some of my pictures have been deleted, this is obviously, very annoying, but not life threatening so, i'll continue on with what we got,
Did this part twice because it was a bit big when done in plastic and not looking so good when dry fit with everything else so I ripped it to bits and started again with foam.
This really is trial and error modelling at its best folks

main%2520body%2520011.jpg

main%2520body%2520012.jpg

Sanded it into shape

main%2520body%2520014.jpg

You can see the nose has changed a bit as well, I put a piece of 1mm to flatten out the top then filled and sanded it to shape, it's now ready for its final coat of epoxy and a good finish sand.

main%2520body%2520016.jpg

Added another strip of 1mm to give a positive front edge, needs to be filled and sanded next.

main%2520body%2520018.jpg

main%2520body%2520021.jpg

Some fat bloke in a mask to give it some scale, she's a big bugger she be

main%2520body%2520038.jpg

And finally a small video 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ype2b-MoDm4&list=UUHiAjjyN8V35Dg2k-4Fcx1Q&index=1

And thassit for now
Stay tuned
Take care and stay warm friends
Gag
(PS got really chilly here in Miami yesterday, into the low 60's it was :cool:

This is turning out to be quite a beauty. Going back to your questions about the lights, I’d say go with 5 of them Voodoo light kits if it won’t hurt your budget too much. If you end up only using two of them on this build, you’ll have three for future ones.

I think seeing the build WIP stuff makes the final product all the more impressive. Just seeing the final model would be cool, and we'd be impressed but watching all that goes into it makes it so much cooler.

--Alex

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back