Quick, cheap and simple Dragonball ball

SuperFLY

Hey all,

Been ages since I posted anything up so I thought I'd post this as its really easy to do, nice effect and pretty durable as well.

A friend of mine is doing a goku costume and she was thinking about props but didn't want to carry dragonballs around so I had an idea.

Using a christmas decoration blank (plastic globe with a hook), some paint and star stickers I created a VERY light weight, durable dragonball she can hook to her belt.

I had a couple of attempts at the paint with varying success and then I had a break-through :)

Firstly I painted one inside with some supershene and laid the stars down. Let that dry to seal them.

Using my orange leather acrylic paint, diluted with some supershene to make them nice and runny I put a little inside and swirled it around to get coverage, using a hair drier to speed up the process to help the paint adhere. halfway through I added some yellow and swished that around to create some break up in colour (i originally tried some gold acrylic paint i had but it did NOT mix well with the leather paints)

Once mostly dried I used a plastic knife to push the paint around and created a kind of lightning effect. It's barely visible but looks nice on close inspection.

And here it is..

15489244900_25e3ca5199_b.jpg

15675641562_00cb32a16b_b.jpg

She was quite happy with that, I plan to make one more.. but I somehow wanted something a bit more special.

I had the idea of putting a couple of LEDs inside but didn't want to have a dot of light coming through so I wanted some kind of diffuser, then I had the idea of using a pingpong ball and seeing how that worked. Cut one open and popped in my LEDs attached to a CR key fob battery and...

15488663818_f2174e426e_b.jpg

15672133951_d3e06e17e9_b.jpg

and voila...

15672134011_6c8636099c_b.jpg

I plan to make it so you can turn it on or off and just pop the glowball inside but I'm pretty happy with that test.

In normal light you can still its glowing, it actually brings the swirls out nicely which you otherwise don't see.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back