Hocus Pocus - Winifred Sanderson Costume

CameronMcEacher

Just wanted to share this year's costume - I'm so happy with the outcome!

IMG_6341.JPGIMG_6335.JPGIMG_6337.JPGIMG_6339.JPG

Patterns used: (HEAVILY modified)
Robe: Simplicity 2818 (out of print, but available on eBay, etc)
Dress: Simplicity 1573

The robe was made in white silk and rayon velvet. First the pattern pieces were traced onto the velvet, then each symbol was hand painted using Fiber Etch on the "wrong side." Once dry, the fiber etch was ironed to burn away the pile of the velvet, leaving the silk backing intact. This was done for all the pattern pieces, which were then dyed with green and purple procion dye. Each symbol was then having painted in gold fabric paint and THEN the robe was sewn and lined.

The dress was made using two toned taffeta and two tone chiffon in both flag green and plum.

I had initially plant to sculpt and cast a custom snake clasp, but ran out of time (some day...)

Happy to answer and questions that anyone wishing to take on such a project may have. There was a LOT of trial and error when it came to working with the fiber etch, burning away the pile and painting in the symbols in such a way that the end result was smooth and didn't cause the fabric to wrinkle. The fabric itself was a bit of a nightmare to work with because it stretches and distorts with the slightest touch. But in the end I couldn't be happier with the results.

Amazing! Just WOW

The amount of effort that's gone into this with the fiber etching it just brilliant. Everything just looks fantastic and you've really nailed the facial expression :)

doing a much simpler version but was wondering if you could share your symbols for the over jacket or the source? Thanks, hard to find pictures, yours came out amazing!!!

NICE!! Can you tell me about the symbols on your costume and where you found them? I'm constructing this for Halloween, and am having an issue locating symbols as nice as these, and I'm not really an artist to do them free hand. :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back